Re: Infected Hard Drive

Name
Marc
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been battling with the Vundo trojan on my parents computer for a few days with absolutely no luck at all, after following EVERY written article on the web i was still no further although this was probably due to the fact that the whole system has had no maintenance at all for the last three years, the Vundo was the last nail....

I was just about to give up when the old girl received a huge tax refund through the door and decided to treat herself to a brand new system giving the old one to moi. Being as that i only want the hard drive and given it's current state of infection my question is will it be safe to put it into my clean machine and just format it or am i running the risk of cross infecting my hard drive..??

Excuse the nubness..technical i aint :)

I'd format it in the current machine before transferring it to be honest

My gut instinct on this is to confine anything that is as infected as that to the bin and not risk compromising the other machine.

There are loads on this forum who are more technically minded and able than I, but I think you are maybe taking a bit of a chance there. Would be a shame to knack the whole system.

Thanks Bob, i am right in thinking that formatting the drive will remove all traces of the trojan though..??

How big is the drive? Hard drives are not expensive these days, if you're not sure it might be as well to dump it and start again. That said a format should get rid of the problem but some virii can infect the very root of a drive. Look up the Trojan you mention and see if the info says how deep it infects.

^There and all the other so called vundo REMOVAL tools, half of them scan, find then want you to purchase, lot of people trying to make money from it.

Back