Read or Write

Suomi

Reet Nice Feller
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a quick one, is Read or Write speed more important to Lightroom?

Thanks

Both really. But read speeds will always be faster than write.

Just stick a flash based drive in (ssd or m2 doesn't really matter) chuck your OS, programs, LR cat and at least the working set of images (you can move them off to slower disks post edit to save space).

Thanks Neil, currently running on a SSD but thinking about a possible P600 m2. While its meant to read at 1775MB/s and write at 560MB/s, if LR has basis to read speeds then it makes senses as write is only just above what I getting with the SSD already. If its both read and write then a 960 evo looks like the route only with a bit more time to save up.

I'd do some research on real world ssd vs m2. I seem to remember reading that while on paper the numbers gap is big in the real world it's not actually that noticeable improvement.

What ssd are you on at the moment? I can't imagine you'd see a noticeable improvement moving to a different one.

Thanks Neil, currently sitting with a Samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd. That's what worries me if I do not see a difference I would just think I had wasted money.

to be honest if you are really looking for thos sort of micro gains you just have to pay and see.
i think you may get a small boost but how much i don't know.
you can look at other things as well like RAM speed, have you got the fastest ram you mobo supports etc.
some boards will support much faster ram than standard etc.

Thanks Paul. Currently running 4790k on a Gigabyte Z97P-D3 with 32GB Team 2133MHz. Not the quickest memory nor the slowest looking at Gigabytes website. Think you are right just going to have to suck it and see.

Back