Reading Half-Marathon .... problems with taking photos?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm hoping I'm not being dumb, but I was assuming that, as a half-marathon is run on public streets, no-one could prevent me taking photos, regardless of what kit I'm using and that there are official photographers?

I'm a little less clear on aspects related to if people were to ask for photos from me. What's the legal situation there? Say it was a wife wanting a photo of her husband running, or even the runners themselves wanting to? How about if I were to wear a t-shirt/jumper with a website URL emblazoned all over it so that people knew where to look to buy them? Is that pushing my amateur status too far, or is there no reason I couldn't do it?

Thanks for any advice :)

Status be damned, I'd say get out there and do it. As for the legal situation selling the photos, I'm not certain, but I think if you're taking pics of individual runners you'll be ok.

Why not get some cards printed up with you web address on it. If anyone asks for a photo, give them the card. T shirt might be a good idea but if there are official event photographers there they may get a bit upset, plus no one has pen and paper handy when they need it:)

So what if there are event photographers? they will have the upper hand as they will have direct links from the events website i guess... but there's no reason you cant go out and take photos too.
If the law was really that clear... that would be the end of papparazzi?

why dont you just work for the official photographers and be done with it? that is how i earn 60% of my money from photography

Not intending to ever turn pro because I earn far more in IT. Just want to do it for fun and a bit of extra cash :)

Also, regarding the paparazzi thing; I think they're allowed to because their piccies are for "editorial" purposes.

I'm hoping I'm not being dumb, but I was assuming that, as a half-marathon is run on public streets, no-one could prevent me taking photos, regardless of what kit I'm using and that there are official photographers?

I'm a little less clear on aspects related to if people were to ask for photos from me. What's the legal situation there? Say it was a wife wanting a photo of her husband running, or even the runners themselves wanting to? How about if I were to wear a t-shirt/jumper with a website URL emblazoned all over it so that people knew where to look to buy them? Is that pushing my amateur status too far, or is there no reason I couldn't do it?

Thanks for any advice :)

As I understand the rules, you are right regarding your ability to take photos.

I would say that you are free to sell your photos to whoever wants to buy them equally you are free to wear what you like. However, I would imagine you would annoy any "official" tog who's also covering the event (who may have had to pay for his pitch) and may prevent you ever being invited to become the official tog by the organisers. They so tend to have the advantage of a stall at the finish line to sell prints on the day. Ultimately it's your choice how you want to behave. :shrug:

Personally I would suggest speaking to the official pro and seeing if they would like your help (have a sample of work handy) as I would imagine your cut of the official action would actually be higher than you could make by wearing a t-shirt advert. Also the tog may point work in your direction if he's asked to cover 2 events on the same day so if your goal is cash - this may be better long term plan.

I'm sure talking to the official pro would be the best way i have worked for this company they pay quite well if you want to send you a pm will put you onto them.

Thanks guys .... I'm absolutely certain that I'm not good enough yet to cover anything officially, and probably won't be for at least a year if not more, but I would like the ability to pick up a little money on the side, whenever I decide to go and do something.

Can see the sense in not upsetting the pros there, both in terms of future relations, but also because I'm not the sort to just upset people willy-nilly! I don't think I'll overtly advertise on this occasion, but if people ask me for photos, I'll probably pass them a card.

On a related note, do you think 2x2Gb cards would be enough for this, or would I need 4x2Gb or even more? I intend to shoot in RAW the whole time.

I recently applied to work freelance on running events. I got turned down due to my camera not having a fast enough fps rate. Make sure your camera is 5fps or more or trying to go pro or semi pro may be an issue. Of course working on your own ad-hoc and you shouldn't have any bother with a slower frame rate.

Not a problem there ... the 40D does 6.5fps :)

I take pictures of speedway training sessions over the country, I always ask the guy in charge pemission first. I frequently get ask for copies by the riders. If they only want one or two and I can e-mail them, I don't charge. (I enjoy taking pictures of speedway). If however they require a lot of photos of themself, I will put them on a disc and post it to them for the great sum of £5 to cover the costs. :)

I :love: Canon

As an ex-running club secretary I can tell you there are hundreds of events where no official photographer exists and it's a pain in the bum trying to scour websites where there could possibly be a pic or two of your team.

I see one tog on a regular basis who sends a proof to every runner in the race asking if they wish to buy a copy. He must get addresses from the race organisers which could be considered a bit of a liberty but most runners are cofortable with it. If you produce a good shot I don't care if you are the official tog or not. Get a running mag with some local fixtures and see if the race will be covered or not.

As an ex-running club secretary I can tell you there are hundreds of events where no official photographer exists and it's a pain in the bum trying to scour websites where there could possibly be a pic or two of your team.

I see one tog on a regular basis who sends a proof to every runner in the race asking if they wish to buy a copy. He must get addresses from the race organisers which could be considered a bit of a liberty but most runners are cofortable with it. If you produce a good shot I don't care if you are the official tog or not. Get a running mag with some local fixtures and see if the race will be covered or not.

A very interesting post. Thanks Veracocha! :)

A very interesting post. Thanks Veracocha! :)

Your'e very welcome, it's how I got into photography. I became more interested in how to promote the team via a web presence and photography was the best medium. I was relied upon more to record the event than lead the team that's why I am an ex secretary.

Whatever you do be at the finish line/medal ceremony as emotions will be running high (forgive the pun) and everybody wants a picture of them hugging/being hugged. I have so many strangers ask me to take their pictures and send them on that if I wanted to I could have made a few quid out of it. Go for it.

You'll probably find that www.Marathon-Photos.com are the official photographers and they'll be at the start and then at the end with a number of photographers taking photos.

If you work for them, they'd expect as many pictures as possible, at the Manchester 10K when I did it, I took around 5,000! You'll need a 70-200mm lens (in case you're interested!)

I doubt you'll be able to go beyond the barriers without official status. It might be worth trying to find the organisers before the event and find out what their stance is on what you're planning.

Also, you'll probably need Public Liability Insurance to be on the non-public side of the barriers. Now we're a 'where there's a blame there's a claim" culture you might not be able to cross the barriers without cover.

Why not just go and take photos, enjoy yourself!
Carl.

Your say you don't ever want to turn pro, so I don't think worrying too much about the official tog should be an issue.

If people are coming up to you at the event and asking whom your working for, I'd just say your freelance, and have a few cards with your website/email address for them to contact you if they wish to get the odd photo.

When selling just really for pin money and not to make a fortune try something like a photobox pro gallery. You get a LITTLE money and the thrill of actual selling an image.

I'm with Carl's last point
Why not just go and take photos, enjoy yourself!
that's what I do, I enjoy watching the events and taking photos, that's the main reason I go, if I sell an image then that's a plus, if I don't well I've still had a good day out.

The bottom line, the official tog has paid for the rights to cover the event so you have to decide if it's morally right to try and compete for the sales without having paid any of the associated costs...

You might also find a race official standing directly in front of you for "health and safety" reasons if you're spotted in your t-shirt :(

Thanks, Whiteflyer ... I shall be doing just that hopefully - having fun!

Pxl8, I've already said I'm not going to do that ... keep yer knickers on! Love your images on your website, by the way. The wedding photo on the front page particularly stands out :D

Whatever you do be at the finish line/medal ceremony as emotions will be running high (forgive the pun) and everybody wants a picture of them hugging/being hugged. I have so many strangers ask me to take their pictures and send them on that if I wanted to I could have made a few quid out of it. Go for it.

Transport around the course is going to be tricky, and the crowds will be extreme at the end. I'm going to try and find a nice spot a little over halfway round, and try and get nice photos there; ideally near to a watering station.

I don’t mean to warp the thread but I feel I must comment on

I see one tog on a regular basis who sends a proof to every runner in the race asking if they wish to buy a copy. He must get addresses from the race organizers which could be considered a bit of a liberty but most runners are comfortable with it.

If a race organizer, or a photographer misuses personal computer data without the consent of the runner then they are both in breach of the data protection act – and can (and should IMHO) face some very heavy penalties. Although all the race organizer needs to do is put a tick box on the entry form saying the details will be passed on to conform to the act – most of the time they do not…

End of warping

Good luck with the photos - you must of course post a few so you can tell us how you got on

Thanks, sporty .... it's the first "proper" photography I'll have done since getting my camera (unless I do some in the meantime) rather than just snaps, so I shall definitely post some to get some criticism. I'm certain that they'll not be quite up to your standard (having seen your posts regularly), but I do hope they'll not be too bad! :)

I did yesterday .... Manfrotto 681B with 234RC head.

Also bought myself a new bag (Lowepro 300AW Slingshot) to go with the new lens, as my XXXL Crumpler is way too small to hold it!

Just have to save up now for the 1.4x converter, to allow that extra reach :)

Hi there, I recently ran the Reading Half Marathon in a 13 foot 3 stone big pink Nurse to raise money and aware ness for the charity well child.

I was wondering did any body manage to take any photos which I would be able use on my just giving web site.

Thanks you very much. Ross

Back