Reading hard drives query

Edit My Images
No
Removed 2x hard drives from a CPU fried up very old PC :-(
Need to read them and transfer data to one of the portable hard drives
Not sure whether they are IDE or Sata etc (Not a hardware expert I am afraid)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Removed 2x hard drives from a CPU fried up very old PC :-(
Need to read them and transfer data to one of the portable hard drives
Not sure whether they are IDE or Sata etc (Not a hardware expert I am afraid)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Hi

This shows the different connection

https://goo.gl/images/1L4sFf

What make/model are they, may be from that we can work out type and then what connector you would need.

Many thanks Dave & @sep9001

Seems like both are SATA drives but with slight variations as shown in the pictures below

IMG_6311.jpgIMG_6312.jpg

Wondering if one connector would be sufficient for both or would I need two connectors?

Last edited:
Hi @sep9001 I believe the link you posted is for a USB dock. Please, could you share a link to the caddy if you may have?

Many thanks

Why not just hook them up in your new pc, if you have a dvd drive just pull the cables off that and connect them to the drives. Costs zero

Thanks Chris for your advice mate.

@sep9001 Have ordered from ebay link that you suggested. Wanted to keep it nice and simple I suppose :) Will come back to this thread for more advice if necessary whilst transferring data from HDDs

Thank you all for your help and advice as always.

USB Dock arrived. Hooked one of the two HDDs and one of the drives on the HDD has some old pictures. When tried to access them, I receive this message

"windows photo viewer can't open this file because the file appears to be corrupted, damaged or too large"

Googled and tried few options but still no joy.

Could anyone please help resolving this issue.

Many thanks in advance,

Yoo sometimes get that message with a tiff file when you don't have a program to open it.

Try using a different photo app to open it.

These are JPEG files mate

As above what other photo editing software do you have on the pc?

May be copy the photo to the hd of the pc and open using your photo editing app.

Try downloading FASTSTONE image viewer and looking at them. they may be corrupted but it will sometimes let you open them and reserve them.

Hi Chris, been using faststone IV for a while and when opened in them all it shows in a blank dark page. I believe these JPEG are corrupted. Looking for some free software to fix corrupted jpegs. Do let me know if anyone knows something better already.

Don't blame you Chris. I too use Macs and PC seems like an alien :)

The only gripe I have about Mac's is the awful filing system. The Mac's seem to put things in multiple places or odd locations. I wouldn't dream of going back to PC's full time though. I've just spent a whole day working on reinstalling windows 10 pro PC's, I bloody hate it.

Back