Reading HDR shoot

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
First ever proper shoot, where I've gone out with the intent of taking photos.
They're for a project in AS where I use HDR to manipulate City Scapes.

Really pleased with the outcome, and I have to thank Pete Carr, because his HDR guide was really helpful, and his work really influenced my ideas.

2072219952_33be0f88a8.jpg

2071422373_5415ba0a4b.jpg

2071422855_81f6a7d600.jpg

2072216956_f632ca847e.jpg

2071423855_ed61a8c4d6.jpg

2071424281_8880fe079b.jpg

2071424551_bdf9b14a62.jpg

2072218472_38d3b42062.jpg

2072218854_7201c65d27.jpg

Heres a link to my flickr account if you want to see them full size :)
Click this Link

Before you say "wow, lots of editing. maybe over edited?"
It was the effect I was going for. A sense of messing with reality

But apart from that, I am well and truly open to C&C.

Sorry but just confirms the many reasons why I don't like HDR. Just too many halos and patches of light and dark that make no sense. Sorry

i like the second and fifth one best i think :) quite like all the moody clouds too!

For every detractor there's one in support - which is me here

I like images that are WOW, and you're on the right track here I think. Not perfect, but well on the way, keep it up

As Pete says - these are not HDR images, just tone mapped representations of such - good stuff

Really like the clouds in #7

The HDR is processed well, and the shots look good, but I'm afraid I don't find the subject very interesting, except 1 & 7, which are great! If these shots weren't HDR they wouldn't be terribly interesting though.

Sorry if I'm being unfair!

The HDR is processed well, and the shots look good, but I'm afraid I don't find the subject very interesting, except 1 & 7, which are great! If these shots weren't HDR they wouldn't be terribly interesting though.

Sorry if I'm being unfair!

Don't worry about it :p

I think I kind of agree.

In some of the photos, its the HDR that makes it.
Although, I do like the subject matter in 8, 7, 6, 5 and 1.
And I think those photos, without HDR, are good. But maybe I'm being biased :p

Also, I missed one out on the first batch!

2072219438_a55fb94daa.jpg

I really like shot 6. It's a pity the horizon is off. I don't know why I like it but I just do ;). I also think shot 7 is nice with those moody clouds.

I really like shot 6. It's a pity the horizon is off. I don't know why I like it but I just do ;). I also think shot 7 is nice with those moody clouds.

I noticed that too.
It really bugged me!
It was fairly difficult, because I had to lean right out over the wall and some bushes at the top of an x-number storey car park.
But I only noticed it when I got home :bang:

crikey, a lot to go at, soooo...

#1 - light is a bit uneven, but nice subject that works in HDR

#2 - reds are overcooked, and maybe that voilet [unless thats what you wanted], but mainly I might have tried standing further to left so lamp post didnt overlap church.

#3 - again the light is patchy and red/orange too intense for my liking

#4 - the green bin [??] overwhelms it I think....

#5 - sorry, again patchy looking light on the brickwork, but I do like this one a lot!

#6 - conversion is good, though it could do with brightening a tad I think, but needs some straightening, its making me feel a bit wobbly

#7 - too dark, and that thing on left needs cloning out, but that could be a really good image if tweaked a bit further

#8 - hmmm, to be honest, a bit dull, nothing to really look at

#9 - again, the light looks patchy [like the others, the building darkens as it gets higher, the exact opposite of what would happen naturally] but I like it compositionally.

tbh I dont think your conversions are nearly as extreme as you think, but they are obvious because of the 'flaws' [ I use that term personally as what I think are flaws might be what you wanted, in which case they are not flaws], but with some tweaking, most of them could be very good pictures - just my opinion of course (y)

The reason I use HDR is to bring out shadow detail as well as as controlling the highlights. Its nice to get colour detail in there as well, but I think there is a point when its too much and your shots take on a surreal appearance. Although there are a few shots in this set I like I think they are a bit over cooked.....sorry.....Ian

The reason I use HDR is to bring out shadow detail as well as as controlling the highlights. Its nice to get colour detail in there as well, but I think there is a point when its too much and your shots take on a surreal appearance. Although there are a few shots in this set I like I think they are a bit over cooked.....sorry.....Ian

I wanted them to look surreal :p
Its actually pleased me that you said that, since, while they may not appeal to your tastes, the fact that you've acknowledged them as being surreal in my book is a success :)

I wanted them to look surreal :p
Its actually pleased me that you said that, since, while they may not appeal to your tastes, the fact that you've acknowledged them as being surreal in my book is a success :)

Glad to be of assistance:LOL:

Back