Beginner Real World Back Button Focusing?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon All,

Over the last few months whilst learning photography, I have read & seen a lot about using Back Button focusing (EAL/EFL button), particular with wildlife/bird & some macro photography.

Now up to now, I have been using standard focusing/exposure using the normal button with half push ect....

What Im looking for, is some real world recommendations/thoughts, as to whether using Back Button Focusing really is worth setting up & if so why in real world terms?

(For ref I'm using Olympus OMD E-M1 Mark 3 & do do wildlife & bird (not BIF) and macro)

Many Thanks :)

WHATS real world terms?

You already know lots of people reccomend it and presumably someone put why.. so am not sure what your asking ?

As a real world working professional I can tell you right now I couldn't do without it.

When I've been photographing sport type events and taking things hand held it frees up your index finger to click the shutter when needed. If you're using, like I am on Canon, something like AI Servo to constantly focus it's far easier with back button focussing.

My d700 has been set up with it since 2012 and I couldn’t imagine not having it.
It just makes sense and is a lot more intuitive IMO.
I can keep the back button pressed and focus on pressing the shutter when needed and know the focus will be right.

WHATS real world terms?

You already know lots of people reccomend it and presumably someone put why.. so am not sure what your asking ?

Well by real world I mean people like me who are not professionally doing or are being paid to do reviews as many people who right articles are. So yes I know a lot of people recommend it, hence why Im asking what people thoughts are. :)

As a real world working professional I can tell you right now I couldn't do without it.

When I've been photographing sport type events and taking things hand held it frees up your index finger to click the shutter when needed. If you're using, like I am on Canon, something like AI Servo to constantly focus it's far easier with back button focussing.
Thank you for the tips :)

My d700 has been set up with it since 2012 and I couldn’t imagine not having it.
It just makes sense and is a lot more intuitive IMO.
I can keep the back button pressed and focus on pressing the shutter when needed and know the focus will be right.
Thank you :)

I always used it but it didn't come naturally for a while ... some people never adjust to it, but IMO it is brilliant, especially for action/wildlife photography.

Hi, when starting out I kept missing the focus and I was getting frustrated to say the least. With lots of advice I set up the 'back focus' and with a bit of practice my focus got better.
I realized I was moving the camera very slightly when pressing that extra bit to shoot.
I find in the 'real world' with a heavy Nikon D600 and a Sigma 150-600 lens getting focus on BIF whilst HH is impossible for me to achieve focus without 'Back Focus'
f Sea Eagle 6-1.jpg

Attachments

• 12 Robin 1.jpg
    12 Robin 1.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 23
I agree with the other comments; it's the only way to focus. Unless, as Paul said; you do something like landscape photography, where it doesn't really help as much (although I still use it).

Being able to focus on an eye and then reframe for the shot is a game changer IMO - it make taking pictures so much easier.

I have used it for about 3 years now and would not go back .... take a look at the press photographers sports photographers and you can see their thumb stabbing that bbf button like crazy to capture the shot. or press and hold for continuous focus

Last edited:
Best answer is .. Try it! and see. it doesnt cost anyhting to try and you can always revert back.... then you will know :)

Focus and shutter release are 2 separate parts of taking a photograph and there really isn't any reason to have them glued together with a single button. Back button focus means you can have it both ways.

apart from the obvious technical advantages.... if you ahve ever half pressed the button for a long period in the cold maybe then BBF is a godsend :)

Hi, when starting out I kept missing the focus and I was getting frustrated to say the least. With lots of advice I set up the 'back focus' and with a bit of practice my focus got better.
I realized I was moving the camera very slightly when pressing that extra bit to shoot.
I find in the 'real world' with a heavy Nikon D600 and a Sigma 150-600 lens getting focus on BIF whilst HH is impossible for me to achieve focus without 'Back Focus'
View attachment 296852
Thank you for this, also excellent images :)

Best answer is .. Try it! and see. it doesnt cost anyhting to try and you can always revert back.... then you will know :)
Very true & I think after hearing everyone’s helpful comments, that’s the next step :)

To be honest with you, some like using it and some never get the hang of it.
This^
It’s a personal preference, the only person who knows whether it’ll work for you is you.

Personally, I’ve used BBF on every AF camera I’ve had where it’s an option. But I know plenty of decent photographers who don’t use it.

There’s no ‘right’ except what’s right for you.

Another vote FOR bbf here. It was strange at first and can be tricky to set up (eg. for Olympus users......) but once done and used a few times it really helps. I also use it for landscapes.

There have been a few occasions when I realised it would have been easier without but they are very rare.

Tried it and didn't like it so went back to the shutter half press BUT, as several people have already said, try it for yourself - it may well work for YOU.

I’ve used it for as long as I can remember, may as well give it a try and see if it works for you. It’s not make or break for photography

I have BBF on as it means that I just leave my lenses on AF all the time. Want manual focus - turn the ring, want autofocus - press the button. No having to remember what you have the lens set to......

It was strange at first and can be tricky to set up (eg. for Olympus users......)

and the award for understatement of the year goes to......

also with the Oly I find the position of the BBF button is a compromise. Use AEL and its too "inbound", us fn1 and its to "outbound". My old D300S had it perfect

I shoot motorsport and I just cannot get on with it. Maybe it's my camera body (EOS 80D) but using it puts my thumb in a really weird position that starts to become painful after a while.

I tried it with my last camera and gave up after a while. However, I have set up BBF again with my current 5D4 and have now used this for over 12 months. Firstly, I was able to assign two buttons which makes it much easier. The first is a single centre point and pressing the button locks the focus so I can recompose; I use this most of the time. he second is multi area focusing and tracking. So by holding the button down it will find an object to focus on and continue to track. This works for birds in flight. I had managed without BBF for many years but wanted to take advantage of the more advanced features of the 5D4 focusing without having to carry the handbook with me. This compromise was recommended by Tony Northrup in one of his YouTubes on setting up the 5D4.

Dave

I only shoot wildlife and always focus on my subjects eye. On my D500, I have my normal shutter release set up for 'centre' spot focus and use back button focus for 'group' focus (4 point focus). For stationary birds/wildlife, front button (single spot focus) is great, but for birds in flight/small animals moving fast, the back button, gives me much more leeway on what would otherwise be difficult shots.

Moving from one to the other took me a few days to get used to, but soon became 'second nature'.

Don't be afraid of it and try it out............you can easily put it back to standard setting!

I tried it and hated it. But mostly I do landscape photography, so I probably shouldn't have been trying it in the first place.
I agree with the other comments; it's the only way to focus. Unless, as Paul said; you do something like landscape photography, where it doesn't really help as much (although I still use it).

Being able to focus on an eye and then reframe for the shot is a game changer IMO - it make taking pictures so much easier.

I turned BBF on mainly for street and wildlife photos, but as I was already used to it and it was on, I use it for landscapes too. A few times before using BBF, I'd forgotten to turn AF off after attaching a ten stop ND filter, so when I press the shutter the camera goes mad hunting for focus when it can't see. Then it's the faff of taking the filter back off to refocus etc. BBF means this never happens. I should just remember to turn AF or use MF really!

Reactions: Sky
The only reason I wouldn't use it is if the cameras CAF was garbage. In all other cases it's what I'd use.

Why? Because you have single point autofocus and continuous autofocus all the time, completely decoupled from the shutter. It's flexibility without the faff of changing settings.
Yep exactly you can follow the subject waiting for the right moment

I use it as standard whenever I’m using autofocus. The need to focus and the need to release the shutter are two separate things so it makes sense to decouple them. I imagine they were combined so people who just wanted to point and shoot didn’t have the think about focusing. If the subject isn’t moving away from or towards the camera then it makes sense to focus once and then shoot - saves on the delay of the camera finding focus each time

To be honest with you, some like using it and some never get the hang of it.
Totally agree with this. It all depends on the person. Try it yourself, see if it works for you and make your own decision as it’s very different for every person and genre.

The only time I use back button focus is when doing landscapes. I like to lock the focus then faff with filters etc and then press the shutter. If you’ve every put a 10 stop filter on the lens and pressed the shutter for the camera to try to refocus its a godsend.

For wildlife I don’t use BBF as I like to move a single focus point around. If my thumb is on the BBF button then I’d have to take it off to move the focus point.

Another one who tried it here.
Didn't like the thumb/finger interaction and reverted back (after some dogged attempts).
It's not for everyone - don't feel compelled to make it 'right' for you.
I've yet to see images consistently 'scored' higher in competitions because of BBF...

For wildlife I don’t use BBF as I like to move a single focus point around. If my thumb is on the BBF button then I’d have to take it off to move the focus point.

Surely this depends on your camera and how it is set up. For nature I use focus track in conjunction with BBF so the camera continues to track the object as it moves or I move. I am not pushing BBF strongly as I managed for decades without it and took some time to adjust.

Dave

Surely this depends on your camera and how it is set up. For nature I use focus track in conjunction with BBF so the camera continues to track the object as it moves or I move. I am not pushing BBF strongly as I managed for decades without it and took some time to adjust.

Dave
What subjects are you photographing? I never got on with focus tracking when with Nikon so I’ve always liked the control of the single focus focus as I know exactly where it’s focusing (it always needs to be the eye with wildlife). It’s become a habit, even though I’ve moved onto mirrorless, as I know I’m fully in control. I should give auto tracking another go as I’m now using a Sony A9. I’ve started to see the benefit of animal eye AF. It’s amazing when it works though sadly it doesn’t work all the time. I noticed recently that it sometimes picked up of the eye of stags and focused on it automatically. Animal eye AF could a huge game changer for wildlife photography, making it nearly point and shoot.

Last edited:
I guess you really don't need another "me too" post but just to chip-in from the landscape point-of-view. I find moving the focus point a bit more cumbersome than moving the camera, i.e. focus and recompose and I don't really want to hold a half press for a long time while the light changes or to have to move the focus point becuase I have moved the camera a little for better framing. It also feels a lot more natural to me to separate focusing and exposure, so I focus on something, which in a landscape isn't going to move far, then concentrate on the exposure and framing without the risk of losing the focus.

What subjects are you photographing? I never got on with focus tracking when with Nikon so I’ve always liked the control of the single focus focus as I know exactly where it’s focusing (it always needs to be the eye with wildlife). It’s become a habit, even though I’ve moved onto mirrorless, as I know I’m fully in control. I should give auto tracking another go as I’m now using a Sony A9. I’ve started to see the benefit of animal eye AF. It’s amazing when it works though sadly it doesn’t work all the time. I noticed recently that it sometimes picked up of the eye of stags and focused on it automatically. Animal eye AF could a huge game changer for wildlife photography, making it nearly point and shoot.
Just about everything, landscapes, architecture, portraits, street, nature, macro, sport etc. As I indicated above I have two buttons set up with different focusing arrangements. I am about to buy a Sony Mirrorless so will look forward to the eye recognition focussing.

Dave

Another one who tried it here.
Didn't like the thumb/finger interaction and reverted back (after some dogged attempts).
It's not for everyone - don't feel compelled to make it 'right' for you.
I've yet to see images consistently 'scored' higher in competitions because of BBF...
You won't see it if you don't look.

If you have looked, how and where did you look and over what period of time did you evaluate your conclusion.

How can you tell which photos were taken using BBF ?

Maybe that's why you have "yet to see".

You won't see it if you don't look.

If you have looked, how and where did you look and over what period of time did you evaluate your conclusion.

How can you tell which photos were taken using BBF ?

Maybe that's why you have "yet to see".
Apologies, I think you may have misunderstood.
The first 3 lines are my actions.
The last line is that it is never openly disclosed that BBF made them win any competition because of its use! - does Manual metering beat semi automatic modes? Does Av beat Tv? Does Auto ISO beat a manual selection?
My intent was to state that I tried BBF and it hindered me from an ergonomic perspective.
I didn't like it, I don't use it, it doesn't affect my results and I wouldn't expect anyone to have to use it.

Back