Reality & Ethics Of War Photography

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
I wonder why they chose to reproduce the photos in black and white when they were shot in colour?

I wonder why they chose to reproduce the photos in black and white when they were shot in colour?
The gore factor perhaps. B&W can tell a much better story than colour in certain circumstances, without making people turn their heads away. Thats what I would think anyway, when seeing them myself.

I think what the photographer says at the end sum it up.

"If we're big to fight an war,we should be big enough to look at it "

Reactions: PMN
Interesting article.

Another consideration is the number of freelance journalists and photographers in current conflicts. With publications taking content this way, and not directly employing the providers, then they assume they have no responsibility, which leads to a number of photographers or journalists, injured or captured with no income and support.

I went out to Kosovo in 2000 as part of the British Forensic Team sent there by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as part of the UK contribution to UNMIK. Our job was to exhume the mass graves, photograph and recover evidence from the bodies during the post mortem examination and repatriate the victims following identification. It was a dangerous place, gunfire, RPG attacks were common place and minefields were in abundance. What I witnessed there was horrendous and it will stay with me for life.

These pics, and others of a similar nature, were published (colour versions) in one of the Sunday broadsheet colour supplements soon after the end of the war. B&W versions are quite dramatic.

Back