REALLY need my handholding here.... (iOS/Android calendars)

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have just moved from iOS to Android after spending a couple of weeks with a Galaxy S9. My wife will not move from iOS for love nor money, nor will she change her iPhone calendar for a Google one (Fair enough).

I need to sync three calendars, Mac, iPhone and Galaxy. The Mac and iPhone are synced perfectly. (Add an event on the Mac it shows on her iPhone immediately) I added my google account in iCloud and invited her to share it so basically the Mac is the main calendar and any events I add to it should appear on her phone and mine. This is where it gets confusing. I currently have two calendars enabled (The original and my new Google one). When I add an event on the Mac, it shows on her phone but not mine. Unless I right click the event and choose the new calendar, in which case it shows

How on earth do I set it so it works all ways. she can enter an event on her phone, I can enter an event on my phone or Mac and we get instant notifications like we used to?

My brain is fried, so I'd appreciate a guide of some description!

Thanks,
Nick

Just had my first Malware attack on the Mac. Is it a coincidence since I viewed iftt? Either way, it's still not working

This is what Google say about setting up a shared "Family" calendar.

"Share an existing calendar
You can share the main calendar for your account, or another calendar you created.
  • In your computer browser, open https://calendar.google.com/
  • On the left, find the "My calendars" section. You might need to click it to expand it.
  • Hover over the calendar you want to share, click More
    ArAlBcUAe8h1l5m69uxnwElxkqwW0QdtIc3F
    nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13-h18
    Settings and sharing.
  • To share with individuals: Under "Share with specific people," add the person or the email address of the person you want to share with.
  • To change wider sharing settings: Under "Access permissions," choose an option in the drop-down menu. Learn more about these options below.
  • If someone isn't already added, click Add people.
  • Add people and click Send.
If you shared your calendar with an individual email address, they'll see your calendar in their "Other calendars" list. If you shared your calendar with an email group , they'll see the calendar in their "Other calendars" list once they click on the link in the email invitation from Google Calendar. "

Does this not work between Android devices and/or PC's only? The OP wants to involve an iPhone in the process as well.

This is what Google say about setting up a shared "Family" calendar.

"Share an existing calendar
You can share the main calendar for your account, or another calendar you created.
  • In your computer browser, open https://calendar.google.com/
  • On the left, find the "My calendars" section. You might need to click it to expand it.
  • Hover over the calendar you want to share, click More
    ArAlBcUAe8h1l5m69uxnwElxkqwW0QdtIc3F
    nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13-h18
    Settings and sharing.
  • To share with individuals: Under "Share with specific people," add the person or the email address of the person you want to share with.
  • To change wider sharing settings: Under "Access permissions," choose an option in the drop-down menu. Learn more about these options below.
  • If someone isn't already added, click Add people.
  • Add people and click Send.
If you shared your calendar with an individual email address, they'll see your calendar in their "Other calendars" list. If you shared your calendar with an email group , they'll see the calendar in their "Other calendars" list once they click on the link in the email invitation from Google Calendar. "

I don't know about iPhones. Don't they have Google? I know that Google calendar uses an open standard and syncs to other open systems. And quoted above, they send to users not devices.

Last edited:
Thanks for the above, but it's still not working. I can add an event in iCal on the Mac and it syncs to my wife phone and mine. If I add an event on my phone, it doesn't share. The same if my wife ads an event on her phone, it doesn't share to my phone. Only to iCal

Last edited:
Not sure it’s relevent or not but we use google calendar at work and it syncs seamlessly with my iPhone and iPad (native calendars and google calendar app) so I assume it must work in reverse ?

Not sure it’s relevent or not but we use google calendar at work and it syncs seamlessly with my iPhone and iPad (native calendars and google calendar app) so I assume it must work in reverse ?
Just to clarify, as I understand, you have a Google calendar account, which you added to your mac calendar app, alongside another calendar account.

When you add an event to share on your mac app, be sure it is goes in to the Google calendar account, or even both accounts. Or change the default account just to test it.

Last edited:
My wife has just texted me from work saying all of her entries disappeared then came back duplicated! I've never been so confused in my life andI consider my self to be somewhat Techy!

Just to clarify, as I understand, you have a Google calendar account, which you added to your mac calendar app, alongside another calendar account.

When you add an event to share on your mac app, be sure it is goes in to the Google calendar account, or even both accounts. Or change the default account just to test it.
Is this for me or the op ?

73FD80C3-C209-474F-A38C-A7D003CA69A9.jpeg 43A1160D-B13C-4651-8C36-E7088BA2F272.jpeg
My wife has just texted me from work saying all of her entries disappeared then came back duplicated! I've never been so confused in my life andI consider my self to be somewhat Techy!
Had this before.

If you set up a google calendar, your wife can set it up on her iPhone as a separate account, it will still show and if she or you posts it will appear in/on everything.

This is what my native iOS calendar looks like, all from google calendars, so I can turn on and off any calendar I want to see, each one is it’s own calendar.
So I’m sure if you subscribe to hers and then set up yours it will sync across everything

73FD80C3-C209-474F-A38C-A7D003CA69A9.jpeg

Google app looks like this, all colour coded the same as google.

Sorry for the harsh deletion,,,,,,lol best I could muster.

Attachments

• 1F2169AC-38FF-4BEA-86FB-EDD95868D94E.jpeg
    1F2169AC-38FF-4BEA-86FB-EDD95868D94E.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 6EC25B3C-19AE-430D-8E84-EB3C43DE880D.jpeg
    6EC25B3C-19AE-430D-8E84-EB3C43DE880D.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 134640 View attachment 134641
Had this before.

If you set up a google calendar, your wife can set it up on her iPhone as a separate account, it will still show and if she or you posts it will appear in/on everything.

This is what my native iOS calendar looks like, all from google calendars, so I can turn on and off any calendar I want to see, each one is it’s own calendar.
So I’m sure if you subscribe to hers and then set up yours it will sync across everything

View attachment 134640

Google app looks like this, all colour coded the same as google.

Sorry for the harsh deletion,,,,,,lol best I could muster.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I'm thinking my issue is using the Mac as the hub. I have a new phone arriving today, and I have created a new Gmail account just to use with that. I'll sync it with my wife phone and see how we get on. If that's successful then I just need to transfer about 100 events from iCal on the Mac!

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I'm thinking my issue is using the Mac as the hub. I have a new phone arriving today, and I have created a new Gmail account just to use with that. I'll sync it with my wife phone and see how we get on. If that's successful then I just need to transfer about 100 events from iCal on the Mac!
Just in case it's needed, there is android app called iCal that manages calendar accounts and can merge, delete, rename edit and transfer calendars.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.drlue.icalimportexport

Last edited:
Just in case it's needed, there is android app called iCal that manages calendar accounts and can merge, delete, rename edit and transfer calendars.

Excellent, thank you. I'll check it out tonight if the sync fails.

yes, i have to go online direct to google calendar to do any main stuff, like set up accounts etc, i can do basics from Apple, but syncing, inviting etc has to be done from the main calendar page online. once you sign in to any account it will sync all entries, this is where you may get duplicates, but i set up a test calendar extra, then if it goes wrong, delete that calender and try another setting.

So you have to get used to google calender online being your main host as such, everything else is viewing/editing

It seems I may have been trying to sync a Samsung calendar to a Google calendar to an iPhone calendar to a Mac calendar.....

I now have one Google calendar on the phone and I've invited my wife to accept my calendar (Which she may do when she starts talking to me...)

I'll report back on how it all goes later

(Which she may do when she starts talking to me...)

I'll report back on how it all goes later

if she doesn't, problem solved :exit:

Looks like we've cracked it.. By using Google calendar on my Samsung and her iPhone. Although she detests Google Calendar. She say's she's willing to give it a try.. Time will tell!

Looks like we've cracked it.. By using Google calendar on my Samsung and her iPhone. Although she detests Google Calendar. She say's she's willing to give it a try.. Time will tell!
The calendar app is a different thing from the calendar account. So she could use any calendar app of her choice, and just select the Google account in that app. And it displays the events. And you wouldn't need to worry about how they are synchronised.

If some particular app doesn't allow the Google account, then try another calendar app.

Last edited:
The calendar app is a different thing from the calendar account. So she could use any calendar app of her choice, and just select the Google account in that app. And it displays the events. And you wouldn't need to worry about how they are synchronised.

If some particular app doesn't allow the Google account, then try another calendar app.

As above, the actual app used isn’t the issue, it’s the host calendar, if your wife signs in to your google calendar from iPhone accounts, it will auto load and sync on her native iOS calendar.

Back