weekly Reanimated 52 - Fit/Water added... 2013 done.

Bloomin nora...just read your blogposts...ya don't do things by halves do ya :LOL:

as an image to convey they theme it works really really well ( had to read the blog to find out what the bottom row of blobs was all about....people watching of course ! ) I've said beofre that I'm not really comfortable giving crit on your images but something is jumping out at me in this one & I'm not sure if it was intentional or not....there's a ghostly outline around the guy throwing the switch ?

on a side note......how do you create the lighting effect ? I've had a try in pse usinig a tutorial but can't get a multi forked effect such as yours

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm quite happy with this one as, again, it's close to the picture I had in my head.
Bloomin nora...just read your blogposts...ya don't do things by halves do ya :LOL:

as an image to convey they theme it works really really well ( had to read the blog to find out what the bottom row of blobs was all about....people watching of course ! ) I've said beofre that I'm not really comfortable giving crit on your images but something is jumping out at me in this one & I'm not sure if it was intentional or not....there's a ghostly outline around the guy throwing the switch ?

on a side note......how do you create the lighting effect ? I've had a try in pse usinig a tutorial but can't get a multi forked effect such as yours

The lightning is actually simply brushes. I have a couple of different sets, but this was, I think, taken from here: http://www.brushking.eu/392/40-hq-lightning-bolt-brushes.html

To get the best effect, select a bright white/blue colour and put the fork where you want it but on a new layer. Set the layer blending mode to Overlay and then copy the layer three or four times. Then set the second layer down of that little pile to the blending mode lighten.

The outline round the guy throwing the switch is the same as the outline round the guy in the chair - -they both had a little bit of the background out of focus and attached to them to help emphasise the cut out nature and drive home the 3d/stereoscopic effect. In retrospect, the governor throwing the switch is so far out of focus that I'd have been better off not bothering as he didn't need the delineation anyway.

You certainly put some work into your submissions ! I think you and Andy have probably done enough to get halfway though the year :)

Really like the idea and the way you have done it, the only thing that puzzled me was the size of the heads at the front they are all smaller than the main subjects but that is a very small point in the overall image

Electric.... :clap: awesome shot :clap:

Think the theodolite pips it for me.

Me too tbh - a really nice interesting old instrument. Set off well by your map as a background. Maybe would like a bit more space to the right, which would give more of the shadow?? (y)

The theodolite gets my vote too Tony.
I particularly like your processing on it, it really suits the subject.

'good enough' is being modest, I think this is spot on (y)

You certainly put some work into your submissions ! I think you and Andy have probably done enough to get halfway though the year :)

Really like the idea and the way you have done it, the only thing that puzzled me was the size of the heads at the front they are all smaller than the main subjects but that is a very small point in the overall image

Thanks Christine. I'll admit it was more a case of printing them so the width worked than worrying about scale. Something I'll try and think about next time.

Bloomin' Nora, more crackers.

Direction , #1 for me. Since and simple, well lit and processing works for me. #4 is another good one. Very eerie, just lacks something, perhaps a ghostly figure, maybe it's been done before.

Tacky, #1 for me. Mainly because it requires a tad more thought about what's happening IYSWIM. Well composed, lit and cracking idea. I saw one of these models in Hobycraft recently and I know Iain has one....might buy it next time I'm in their.

I do hope you work in some artistic profession...

Regards.

Hi Tony :wave:

Letter: Original letter stands out for me. I like the layered effect of the silhouette and all the componets. It tells a story, in one. Superb!

Direction: I prefer the way up. It works well in B&W and I like the detail with the trail upward.

Electricity: Ride the lightening is absolutely superb. Inspirational.

Tacky: Yes I have to agree, very well thought out. I like the first too. The tacky is very cleverly done in the way its wrapped around. Good use of focus on the figures.

I liked tacki-cuthbert, but you have to make the Easter version the real one - its great :)

Hi Tony

Theodolite for me too , like the PP on this one ,seems to fit with the age of the subject...though I'm quite liking the abstract UP as well...:clap:

Tacky...never crossed my mind to use bluetac....easter egg version takes top spot for me....really imaginative

Value...juicy plums almost hits the spot for me...would like to have seen them more in focus though appreciate the sign fits the theme

Not sure on your last one for value but then it is a subjective shot , nice n peaceful but looks a touch murky for me

Hi Tony

Theodolite for me too , like the PP on this one ,seems to fit with the age of the subject...though I'm quite liking the abstract UP as well...:clap:

Tacky...never crossed my mind to use bluetac....easter egg version takes top spot for me....really imaginative

Value...juicy plums almost hits the spot for me...would like to have seen them more in focus though appreciate the sign fits the theme

Not sure on your last one for value but then it is a subjective shot , nice n peaceful but looks a touch murky for me

Thanks, Lynne. The last one was just me thinking about how much I value the quiet now there's a toddler screaming around the place.

The second one is very nice

first glance I also like the second, but the calm and open way he's offering the box and reading her reaction on her face is much more intriguing in the first.... he wants her to take it doesn't he? presumably for his own good rather than her's??

Like the processing with the glow coming out the box. Although think the focal blur might be too close in the first just catching too much of his head?

:clap:

I'm doing a big catch up on commenting and it was the Value photo that led me to your thread. The one you submitted is a nice photo but I don't get the link to the theme? I prefer the one above of the car boot sale, proper value :)

first glance I also like the second, but the calm and open way he's offering the box and reading her reaction on her face is much more intriguing in the first.... he wants her to take it doesn't he? presumably for his own good rather than her's??

Like the processing with the glow coming out the box. Although think the focal blur might be too close in the first just catching too much of his head?

:clap:

No processing; the light was done with an off camera flash hidden by the models; a bit of theatre lighting gel over the flash gave the golden colour. :)

Damn you - the Hounds of Tindalos was my first thought too :)

Great shot by the way and I know that its spot on for angles too.

Damn you - the Hounds of Tindalos was my first thought too :)

Great shot by the way and I know that its spot on for angles too.

I think my only concern is that, in trying for the German Expressionist look, I decided that the Hound needed to be three-dimensional. Looking at the shot as is, it simply doesn't work. It would be better as a another cutout. Either that or composite the model in so he's 3D as well.

I am determined to do a full on Cabinet of Dr Caligari style expressionist shot before this year is over now, though.

Yet another great shot there, after a bit of reading I can see your link to angles and it couldn;t be more on theme.

Your attention to detail is incredible, hand carved sculpture, individually and seperately shooting the guy in the strait jacket, different lighting experiments.

AWESOME... :clap:

Wow, the Hounds of Tindalos, never would have thought of that. Fantastic idea and well executed, too. You're probably right that a cut out would work better, but that in no way takes away from the image as is.

Hi Tony

#1 shot for Greed works better better for me...she seems to be pushing him away in the 2nd

& I'm really sorry but Angles has me stumped...never heard of the Hounds of Tindalos...still got that amazing attention to detail though & I do like the Blue hue to it .think I need to expand my reading matter :thinking:

Hi Tony

#1 shot for Greed works better better for me...she seems to be pushing him away in the 2nd

& I'm really sorry but Angles has me stumped...never heard of the Hounds of Tindalos...still got that amazing attention to detail though & I do like the Blue hue to it .think I need to expand my reading matter :thinking:

I wouldn't worry, there's not many people as have heard of them :)

Rustic: I struggled a bit with this, to be honest. Everything I could think of was horribly cliched which says some fairly unpleasant things about my lack of imagination, I suspect. Anyway, after a fairly good rummage through some books - and based on the fact that I'm currently teaching a lot about Victorian explorers - I settled upon an Englishman's idea of rusticity.

Roughing It by DrHWest, on Flickr

If anyone's interesting in the PP on this one, it's processed to look like a similar stock as used by Leibovitz for her early Vogue shoots and lit similarly - although slightly harder than she does it as I prefer a crisper edge.

Rustic set up by DrHWest, on Flickr

The set up was yongnuo radio triggers and two yongnuo flash units; total cost there was just over £70. The stands were from Amazon costing just under a tenner each and they both came with two umbrellas each.

We got some very surprised dog walkers :)

Only regret - no matter how I fiddled the lighting, simply could not pick up the steam from the tea. We only have ten minutes to do the shoot during lunch, so I'm sure I could have managed it if I'd had a bit longer. I resisted the temptation to add it in PP.

Thats an interesting shot and I love the side lighting on his face, nice to see the setup shot too - imagine bumping into that after a few skin fulls!

Rustic, well composed and plenty of effort. Like it. The lighting works well, just the right side of your face looks a tad hot. Think I'd like to see the ambient a bit darker.

Cheers.

Thanks, Andy. If I was at maximum sync speed so the only way to take the ambient down was to process it, and I didn't want to loose all definition in the leaves. The left strobe was definitely a touch overpowered.

Can't D7000 hi speed synch?

Latest works for me. Great textures and low perspective. Reminds me of Evil Dead 1.

Cheers.

I very much doubt that there would be, also you'd need hss compatible triggers unless you went tethered or bought a set that could slave in hss

Back