Rear cap removal ...Mamiya Sekor Lens

Didn't think you were doing anything wrong, was wondering if perhaps the cap was different. Since I also use an RZ I'd like to find out the cause so if it does happen to mine I know how to remedy it. Maybe dirt gets between the collar and the lens body that causes them to stick. Do the collars rotate completely smoothly with no cap when they are off the camera?

An idea:- wipe\polish the caps with silicon dashboard cleaner, this makes any surface slippery...even use it on my table so the mouse moves easier....great stuff for cleaning camera bodies as well.

OK so the RZ lenses are spotless and indeed a tad "cleaner" than the RB, so I've checked all the collars and they are all smooth without caps fited and all feel pretty much the same in reistance so that isn't the issue unless all four collars are stuffed! lol

I don't have any silicon cleaner to hand nonetheless I took Brians advice and have scrupulosly cleaned the caps of finger prints etc with furniture polish....replaced on the lenses and there is absolutely no difference except that they smell nice! :p

Nick ( Raglansurf) may not be a million miles off when he says i'm doing it wrong......perhaps I'm simply tightening the collars down too much although I only take them to the point where the cap doesn't move.

I'm going to adhere to what I mentioned earlier in the thread and leave the collars backed off a bit....It's unlikely to be detrimental as they are stored in a bag or flight case so any dust is going to have to work hard to get underneath the cap ;)

Asha, firstly, glad you've sorted the original problem. Secondly, WRT the out of synch clock chimes... Worth trying is winding the clock forward while it's chiming. You get more time to do it when it's due to chime the full 12 chimes. As soon as it starts chiming, wind it forwards as fast as it'll go until you're just past 12 o'clock. Once you've got it there, wind it forwards to half past and pause there until it's chimed the half hour, then on in 1/2 hour increments until it's right. Worked for Dad after I had managed to discombobulate one of his chimers!

Asha, firstly, glad you've sorted the original problem. Secondly, WRT the out of synch clock chimes... Worth trying is winding the clock forward while it's chiming. You get more time to do it when it's due to chime the full 12 chimes. As soon as it starts chiming, wind it forwards as fast as it'll go until you're just past 12 o'clock. Once you've got it there, wind it forwards to half past and pause there until it's chimed the half hour, then on in 1/2 hour increments until it's right. Worked for Dad after I had managed to discombobulate one of his chimers!

I've read allsorts online regarding resetting old clocks but some are to say the least a bit dodgy especially those that suggest a process that involves turning the minute hand anti clockwise !!!.......I was taught as a kid with clockwork watches, never ever to do that and i aint taking a risk like that with this clock as it's been in the family fo a long time and as a youngster i was not alllowed near it!

I don't think it's valuable financially but sentimental value is huge ....if i damage it, my mother will have my b**** on a plate:wideyed:, just like grandma would have done:D

atm this mantleclock is driving me nuts as it chimes the half hour on the hour and a wrong hourly chime on the half hour ....darn it, all i did was move it so i could move and clean behind the piece of furniture it was sat on!

If you were UK based, I would give you the details of the chap who does the servicing on my watch (Rolex) and does clocks as well. Very knowledgeable and relatively inexpensive (compared to Rolex's workshop!).

If you were UK based, I would give you the details of the chap who does the servicing on my watch (Rolex) and does clocks as well. Very knowledgeable and relatively inexpensive (compared to Rolex's workshop!).

Thank you for your offer of help Nod.

As it is there is a guy locally who repairs clocks in his spare time ....He has no going rate as such, he sort of makes the price up as he goes along, not that I've had to request his services...... yet!!!

I've followed your advice today and although the chime is still not in synch with the hour, it is heading the correct way and getting closer .......the difference each time is consistantly one chime nearer to what it needs to be and it now chimes just the once on the half hour so it does seem as though it is going to work out.

For the moment I've come away from it as I'm beginning to become imptatient / bored with it ....that's when damege occurs!!

I'll keep at it over the coming days .....

Good idea! Hope all gets synched properly. :D

thanks all for the Mamiya RZ lens cap hints

I saw somewhere about making it cold. I placed china plate in freezer for an hour, took it out onto table and place lens on the cold plate, Rear side down. after abut an hour I was able to take it off fairly simply, Note this was after straining the knurled ring the wrong way wthout movement the day previous with rubber torque gripper. So for benefit of me in 12 years , when lens is on table ,front of lens is down, the knurled ring holding the rear lens cap goes clockwise to release it.

To save looking this thread up in 12 years, use a metallic Sharpie to write "Undo" with an arrow on the rear cap!

Back