Reccomend me a computer monitor for Photo editing.

Name
Jessica
Edit My Images
Yes
Due to recent problems of prints coming out dark after editing on my little laptop I have decided to get me a decent screen (and calibrate it before I start playing!)

tbh I haven't a clue what I'm looking for. I'll also be needing an actual computer, it'll be pretty much purely for photo editing (and maybe a bit of DVD watching;))

All together it's gonna have to be absolute max of £1000 though I'd prefer it to be much less if possible.

Any reccomendations or tips on what to look for would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT -Only just realised there is a computer sub forum here. Doh!!! Mods fell free to move this post to the right place. Sorry.

Dell 2407WFP A04 revision (second-hand) and a LaCie Blue Eye Pro 4 calibration device.

You'll probably spend around £600 on the pair but in return you'll have something like 99% accuracy on the sRGB gamut.

I'm nervous about spending a large ammount on something 2nd hand. Knowing my luck something will go wrong with it soon after buying. I'm probably just being my usual paranoid self, lol.

Also, when I'm googleing monitors are there specific things I should be looking for? I really haven't a clue on these things.

What you don't want is any monitor that offers you an extended gamut over and above that of sRGB. You simply won't need it.

What you do want is a screen that can replicate the entire sRGB gamut with accuracy and has a decent viewing angle and is of a high quality. Pair that with a high-end calibration device and you'll be laughing.

Unfortunately I don't know of anything on the market at the moment that would fit that bill. But I know a man who might.

What you don't want is any monitor that offers you an extended gamut over and above that of sRGB. You simply won't need it.

What you do want is a screen that can replicate the entire sRGB gamut with accuracy and has a decent viewing angle and is of a high quality. Pair that with a high-end calibration device and you'll be laughing.

Unfortunately I don't know of anything on the market at the moment that would fit that bill. But I know a man who might.

Excellent link. Thank you:)

It's brought up the HP LP2275W. I didn't understand all the technical jargon but it sounds good and can replicate the entire sRGB range. Does anyone here have any experience with this screen? It's a 22". I think for me that would be plenty big enough (I'm used to a 15")

I'm going to ask the IT guys at work about an actual computer. Might be an option to get one built.

Someone siad they'd lend me their calibration device:D

Only downside with that model is that it's a wide-gamut display. And unless you're paring that with a high-end calibration device like a Blue Eye Pro you'll not get the best out of it.

I'm sure pxl8 will be able to explain in more detail. Or just search for his name and sRGB to see for yourself.

Only downside with that model is that it's a wide-gamut display. And unless you're paring that with a high-end calibration device like a Blue Eye Pro you'll not get the best out of it.

Ah, I see. So much to take in. The calibration device i'm going to be lent is a spider something or other.

I'm sure pxl8 will be able to explain in more detail. Or just search for his name and sRGB to see for yourself.

I shall do this tomorrow evening. Need some sleep so I can try and take all this new stuff in:LOL:

Cowasaki - I'll take a look at that. I think the screen I was looking at was about £250 (cheapest on a quick search) but it's an investment purchase (and I'm getting my work bonus at the end of the month...which should pay a large chunk of the cost) so I don't mint if it's going to be worth it in the long run. I'm relieved that overall it's not ging to cost as much as I originally thought.

When I ran the Huey software the monitor was virtually perfect already. The 2407 really is a classic monitor and that deal is for a new one with 2 years on site warranty.

I have the Dell 2407 you can pick them up for a really good price on Ebay *NEW* and I have a Huey pro to get the calibration right.

Link to 2407 at £369 = http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Dell-Ultr...14&_trkparms=72:1690|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
That's a 2407WFP-HC and, as such, rubbish.

And I can guarantee you that your monitor wasn't perfect when you calibrated it with the Huey. The Huey doesn't really work with extended-gamut monitors so it's not really accurate in any meaningful sense.

That's a 2407WFP-HC and, as such, rubbish.

And I can guarantee you that your monitor wasn't perfect when you calibrated it with the Huey. The Huey doesn't really work with extended-gamut monitors so it's not really accurate in any meaningful sense.

I would get off the fence!

Mine is the non HC model not sure about the difference. When I installed the calibration device the difference between the standard and calibrated colours was negligible. When I then get a print and hold it against the monitor the colours match so as far as I am concerned its working!

If you've got the 2407WFP and it's the A04 revision, your Huey might have done a decent enough job. But you did link to the 2407WFP-HC and that is rubbish, especially when calibrated with a device that can't take advantage of the extended gamut.

Mine is the A04 but I just reasonably assumed the the HC model just has an extra port.

I would still have a look on ebay for a 2407 I can only go off personal experience and it is spot on for me. I also ran the Huey pro on my macbook pro 17" hi-res matte display. There was even less difference there than there was with the Dell and again the macbook and dell displays are an exact match.

Nope, the 2407 has the extended gamut and fooled a lot of people into buying it on the back of the 2407WFP A04's reputation. It calibrates well with a Blue Eye Pro and the EyeOne Display 2, but doesn't fare too well with the lesser hardware calibrators.

You've got yourself a star monitor there in the shape of your A04 though.

Nope, the 2407 has the extended gamut and fooled a lot of people into buying it on the back of the 2407WFP A04's reputation. It calibrates well with a Blue Eye Pro and the EyeOne Display 2, but doesn't fare too well with the lesser hardware calibrators.

You've got yourself a star monitor there in the shape of your A04 though.

I got a big pay out due to an accident and bought all my camera kit, the mac pro and stuff for the family. I wanted the 30" version but by the time it got to that I had run out of money and it became a choice of glass or the bigger monitor so could only afford the 24" one! I will keep it when I get the 30" to use with the PC. Is there a particular 30" model to get/avoid I was going to get the 3008, or that was the plan anyway.

Next I want to do the same with printer calibration !

Is there a particular 30" model to get/avoid I was going to get the 3008, or that was the plan anyway.
I think the 3008WFP is technically a HC model without the tag as it's extended gamut. If you're going to spend that much on a monitor you might as well buy a LaCie Blue Eye Pro or a GretagMacBeth EyeOne Display 2 to go with it.

Next I want to do the same with printer calibration !
What printer? Home or lab?

I have several printers with 5 people doing a lot of printing:

Home stuff: Epson R300 with CISS, HP6280 with refill cartridges

Bulk: Samsung CLP500 - refillable colour laser

Photography (and the one I am looking mainly at): Epson R2400 with refillable cartridges

The output from the R2400 is visibly the same from Epson cartridges and the refill ones so if I use Epson colour files it still matches older images that have been printed but there are a few colours that look OUT before and after. These are mainly blues and colours with blue in them or lighter yellows etc. This is however only when comparing them to the original or the computer screen. Therefore it must be in the printing. If you take a picture and look at it without comparison then it looks fine so it is not that far out.

Back