Reccomended software for beginner

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
Hi all
Just looking for what software you guys use to edit and also organise your pictures.
I have downloaded gimp and I am sure if I spent hours looking through tutorials it would be good, But it does seem a tad complex ?

Yeah if you can get your hands on Lightroom or Photoshop go for it. Gimp, well I know it's free and can be used for photo editing, but really you should stay away from it unless no other option available ^^

Lightroom is superb (y) but £200.

If you have a Canon, the free software is very good - DPP Raw processor is excellent.

The other one is Photoshop Elements - £70-ish?

If you have a Canon, the free software is very good - DPP Raw processor is excellent.

Got to agree with all that, DPP is very good but people always think 3rd party is better :thinking:

Everybody assumes your on a windows computer, if on a mac then Aperture really is a must buy at £45

Last edited by a moderator:
Photoshop Elements 9 - £50 from Amazon or a more in depth package with Photoshop CS 5 Extended - around £800

Les (y)

Try Photoscape - it's free and nowhere near as complex as the Gimp.

Or try some of the free Serif offerings - I've been using PhotoPlus X2 which I was offered for £13.00 as a loyal customer and has all the functionality I need including layers, masks etc.

Second Photoscape.

It does not have the features of the like of GIMP, but I find that I do most of my pp with Photoscape.

Dave

Picasa is free and very easy to use, and It'll get you familiar with the basics.
I now use elements or paintshop pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all
Just looking for what software you guys use to edit and also organise your pictures.
I have downloaded gimp and I am sure if I spent hours looking through tutorials it would be good, But it does seem a tad complex ?

Lightroom. Try the 14-day free trial and see how you get on.

Hi all

Lightroom. Try the 14-day free trial and see how you get on.

Aperture 30 day free trail, and then only £45 :D

Except when it is on offer at Amazon for £118 as it is now.

Try to get Silkypix Developers Studio. Trial is available for 30 days. Amazing RAW processing software. Simple to use. Expensive
For downloading images from cameara/card i suggest Downloader Pro, there should be trial cost maybe 20$.
Photoshop, something must have, but expensive.

I usually download from card with downlader pro, it take care about pulling files to right folders. Can do it manually, but nice tool.
Then selecting images, ajusting colors, croping, rotating, correcting lens artefacts etc in Silkypix.
If pictures need some serious healing in certain areas, then photoshop or GIMP will be needed.

If you go Adobe way, you will need After Effects and Adobe Pemiere for video.

If GIMP/Photoshop "seem a tad complex", what exactly requirements for software? GIMP/Photoshop is not that hard really unless you do something complecated. If you have any specific question just let as know.
GIMP is good as free alternative to Photoshop. it just much more tutorials and know how is written for Photoshop, and not for GIMP :(

Last edited:
I Bought Photoshop Elements after advice from this forum.

I love it as a newbie myself all i can say is there is that much help for this program out there its great.(y)

Back