Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Guy's we know all about the SA students posting, from Jo'burg,
they were pointed in this direction by their tutor.
Yes some have the same IP address, as they are posting from the university.

Thanks for all the RTM's
But its OK (y)

They have Google in SA too. I'm pretty sure that most of the questions like "What is Exposure?" can be found there.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help people but it kind if feels like we are doing their homework.

They have Google in SA too. I'm pretty sure that most of the questions like "What is Exposure?" can be found there.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help people but it kind if feels like we are doing their homework.
What's the difference? If they use google, chances are that they'd end up here anyway. If I google something, quite often the from page of results contains mostly links to various forums. If your homework involves any sort of research, it means asking questions. Isn't one of the main purposes of this forum to help people find answers to those questions?

But Google does not have the "user to user" interaction that TP has going on ;)

[grumpy old man mode] Though, personally, I was hoping 'all new members' would realise/remember/appreciate that Talk Photography is indeed a user to user forum and not ask questions like we are a business & educational support forum where manners get forgotten. [/grumpy old man mode]

What's the difference? If they use google, chances are that they'd end up here anyway. If I google something, quite often the from page of results contains mostly links to various forums. If your homework involves any sort of research, it means asking questions. Isn't one of the main purposes of this forum to help people find answers to those questions?

That's fair enough but I'm not going to take the time to answer a post like this one when they can't even be bothered to introduce themselves or explain why they are asking the question.

This post is just plain rude and doesn't deserve any of our time or effort.

They have just put the questions they've been asked on here in the hope that we'll answer for them IMO. Then they can just cut and paste our answers as their own.

Hardly in the spirit of research is it? :facepalm:

Last edited:
Current crop of homework questions have been rounded up and placed in the talk beginners section, along with a link to wikipedia where appropriate to allow them to answer their homework tasks.

Play nice people, if you can't be bothered to help, at least don't hinder - and if helping out is too much trouble, maybe consider that complaining about the situation is also taking up your valuable time, so don't do that either.

It's not spam - it's a bunch of people that may have been misguided / misinterpreted the directions of their course tutor. Let's show some of that old-school decency that got me involved in this forum in the first place - just because we've a bunch of d******ds in Hot Topics, doesn't mean we have to behave the same way to newcomers.

Rest assured we're on the case, and if there ARE issues going forward, we'll take steps - no need for vigilante action.

As they are from SA their culture, customs etc could be different to ours and they may come across to us as abrupt or impolite. They may not even have English as a first language.
Their ways are just as valid as ours, just not the same.
As for asking on TP and not just using Google, I thought that was what a Photography forum was for?

I think it's great that new comers join and ask questions, they might not know what to tap in on Google. So for me I think it's wrong if you get an answer saying Google is your friend, which IMO is silly as DO YOU KNOW GOOGLE ... NO. I have lots of questions in my mind I'd like to ask, but I won't my choice on that as it might come back Google is your friend.
The great thing about TP is that it's staying, if I see a question off a new comer I would never say Google is your friend, as if I knew the answer then I'd be polite and helpful and then explain it to the person who asked. To me it's just polite manners, but I was always taught about good manners.

I think some are slightly annoyed at the thought of people joining just to ask questions, and not participating in the forum, by sharing their thoughts and ideas.
Ask questions, get the answers to be never seen again.

I think some are slightly annoyed at the thought of people joining just to ask questions, and not participating in the forum, by sharing their thoughts and ideas.
Plenty have done that over the years Jon ,without so much as a kiss m.a in thanks

I sort of get your point here. Those that have gone before tend to be once every now and then. Just recently (this week), we seen to have a few all in one go.
I personally don't have a problem with this. Ask Google, ask here, search YouTube, it's all the same, they're just asking questions from resources that know the answer.
You never know one or 2 of them may stay and be regular posters.

I personally don't have a problem with this. Ask Google, ask here, search YouTube, it's all the same, they're just asking questions from resources that know the answer.
You never know one or 2 of them may stay and be regular posters.

I agree with this, but...

That's fair enough but I'm not going to take the time to answer a post like this one when they can't even be bothered to introduce themselves or explain why they are asking the question.

This post is just plain rude and doesn't deserve any of our time or effort.

This is spot on.

This is spot on.

As they are from SA their culture, customs etc could be different to ours and they may come across to us as abrupt or impolite. They may not even have English as a first language.

Its curious to note the intolerance of other cultures Eh Kev?
So people, rather than berate them, ignore the post(s) and move on
You know it makes sense (y)

And with that :lock:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back