Recent visit to photographers in Manchester and Lancashire

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to be invited to a photographic studio opening in a converted mill nearby. The photographer is a professional who works at a library in Manchester and has an interest in old photographic processes, wet plate collodion in particular. So I got, not only to get my photograph taken, a tintype, but also to meet some other like minded people. The photographer's dark room is huge and it needs to be because his was given a 10x8 enlarger, a colossal beast of a thing, which came from a museum in Liverpool. The guy who negotiated their removal from site also brought home a 12x15 enlarger which he has put in storage for the time being until he can find a suitable place to install it, and no surprise!

You can see both the studio and enlargers here... https://fourtoes.co.uk/iblog/de-vere-5108-and-ilford-500-head/

At the same event, I got an invitation from a former professional photographer to visit him at his house in Padiham and see his collection of cameras and his darkroom. Absolutely amazing in every respect. He also took my photograph using a 5x4 Gowlandflex, another monster piece of kit, I've never seen one in the flesh before never mind held one, this particular camera came from a Canadian photographer who bought it from Peter Gowland just before Gowland died. I took along my Fuji 690, Robots and a 6x17 pinhole camera which he showed an interest in. Anyway we will be meeting again as, surprisingly, there isn't too much of an overlap between our two collections.

Just in case you haven't heard of the Gowlandflex... http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Gowlandflex

Last edited:
I searched the eBay both .com and .co.uk for Gowlandflex but no cameras are to be had, although I did find an 8x10 for sale in Singapore for a mere 58,000 Singapore dollars, so only £34,855! Mind, Peter Gowland only sold a handful. The eBay has a few books by Peter Gowland on flash and glamour photography.

Remarkable. I remember seeing a photo of a female photographer standing on top of a ladder taking a photo with something that looked like a 4x5 TLR, maybe it was one of these (although may pre-date them).

One day all cameras will have outgrown their users and choose their own subjects etc.

Back