Recesky TLR "Construction" Challenge Discussion thread.

Choose your prefered theme for the Recesky TLR Challenge

• Construction

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Winter

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Seasonal Festivities

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Well looks like there's going to be a few takers for a Recesky TLR challenge so let's talk about what we want from it.

Thanks to all those who voted for a theme.

The Recesky TLR Challenge is now officially open.

Theme...."CONSTRUCTION"

Entries to be posted here

There's no restriction on film....use whatever takes your fancy.

Be as creative as you wish...anything goes really so long as it fits the theme....maybe someone fancies a go at a double exposure...I reckon most of us will end up with at least one by accident:D

The closing date for entries is 23:59 hours Sunday 20th January 2013

Have fun everyone and let's see what crazy results we can come up with.

Last edited:
As we've had to build it ourselves how about 'construction'?

Or as I haven't managed to build anything like this since I was about 12 how about 'great mistakes of the 21st century'?

'great mistakes of the 21st century'?

Well this would be dead easy for me.....a portrait of "you know who"...I can't say m.r.s again ...she's the butt of all my jokes and atm sat beside me :puke: :D

As we've had to build it ourselves how about 'construction'?

I'll go for that Nick if it suits everyone else.(y)

Construction seems a very good idea. I'd be in for that.

Any particular film or should we keep it open?

Just ordered one, so I'll be joining in. (y)

I need my head examining.

But hey, I knew that already. :wacky:

Hey I can't wait for you all to get them built!! If you do the first theme about construction the photo will have to be taken by another camera! .......just saying lol! Any theme will have to be out doors and given next week will be December would winter or Seasonal festivities be obvious.......?

Ps don't forget my top tip....... Do not touch the mirror during construction if you do leave the (hopefully tiny) finger print do not attempt to polish it!!!

Good luck

Construction seems a very good idea. I'd be in for that.

Any particular film or should we keep it open?

I suggest any film you want wether b&w or colour but again I'll go along with the majority vote.

I blogged (briefly) about the construction here: http://www.35millimetre.co.uk/2012/11/recesky-tlr-diy-camera.html

I've stuck some bog standard colour Fuji film in it, not taken any pics yet though!

thanks for the link..may come in handy! lol

Just ordered one, so I'll be joining in. (y)

I need my head examining.

But hey, I knew that already. :wacky:

Welcome to the mad side of f&c !! lol

Hey I can't wait for you all to get them built!! If you do the first theme about construction the photo will have to be taken by another camera! .......just saying lol! Any theme will have to be out doors and given next week will be December would winter or Seasonal festivities be obvious.......?

Ps don't forget my top tip....... Do not touch the mirror during construction if you do leave the (hopefully tiny) finger print do not attempt to polish it!!!

Good luck

Thanks for the reminder about the mirror....as for a winter/festivities theme then it's certainly a good idea given the time of year.

If you guys wish, we could see what other themes we come up with and perhaps put to vote....what do you think??

There's a few Flickr groups dedicated to the Recesky TLR. If anyone wants to see what results to aim for! There may also be some ideas on there for themes, don't want anything too complicated at this stage until we're use to it, and all final adjustments are made. Gonna load mine up today and hope for a little sun :)

Made a start on my kit this evening.

Followed the intstructions to the letter yet still had a nightmare getting the shutter mech to operate correctly.
Went away, did this :bang:, returned to the table, tinkered a little more and hey presto, now works mighty fine (y)

Had to have it sorted before bed otherwise i wouldn't sleep!:D

Will try find time to continue with it tomorrow...hope the mirror goes easier than the shutter!!!!!

It states 1 hour to construct in the instructions.....perhaps for the prat that designed it! :D :D

OK guys got it finished this evening ....here she is in all her glory ( appologies for dreadful mobile phone quality):

469receskytlrkitcamera.jpg

Those of you who have yet to construct your kits, keep us informed so we can get the challenge started just as soon as your up and running and we have all agreed on a theme.

OK guys got it finished this evening ...

:clap::clap::clap:

Those of you who have yet to construct your kits, keep us informed so we can get the challenge started just as soon as your up and running and we have all agreed on a theme.

Don't wait for me, I'll catch up :LOL:

Hurray! I found the lenses to be extremely stiff at focusing, how are yours?

:clap::clap::clap:

Don't wait for me, I'll catch up :LOL:

Thanks for the praise Nick ...got to confess I wouldn't really want to build another!!

As for catching up, i seem to recall that applies elsewhere with your challenges!!:cautious: :D

If we can get this challenge off the ground by next weekend and let it run through to the new year...say provissionally the 6th Jan,.....gives 5 weeks from now which is hopefully anough time for everyone.

I've loaded mine with film already and took a couple shots, the wind on is going to be my biggest challenge! The guide arrow at the side doesn't turn as its not catching the film inside!! Lots of tutorials on what to do. But I think my first film will be hit and miss!! But that just adds to the excitement of it all..........IMVHO! :)

Are these things particularly difficult to build? Might be a fun way of introducing film to students who these days are raised on digital. (Sorry for interrupting)

danphillips said:
Are these things particularly difficult to build? Might be a fun way of introducing film to students who these days are raised on digital. (Sorry for interrupting)

They'd be an excellent introduction! The students would get an understanding on how a camera works, which you don't get with a digital camera unless you've got a masters in electronics!!!

Don't forget you can get Agfa vista plus 35mm in poundland If there's a budget!!!! Asda charge £3 to process and put images on cd. That's unless you're teaching the students to develop themselves. However asda might be more accessible to the students if they are jumping from digital to film.

I've not started working at the college yet, so I'm just collecting ideas for new ways of doing stuff. I love mechanical cameras and these things are also very cheap. Thanks!

Sorry for hijacking!

Don't apologise go grab one and join the thread challenge........for the purposes of educational research you understand!!!! :)

Yes get yourself one and join in...the more the merrier!

Mine hasn't arrived yet. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

How long have we got?

Edit: I think it would be a brilliant thing for photography students to do.

Last edited:
Cheers guys. It was your thread that inspired the question. It'd be a good week long project maybe: build, shoot, dev, print.

I sold a rolleiflex a while back so I think I'd definitely have to justify using a plastic equivalent as research!

Mine hasn't arrived yet. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

How long have we got?

If we can get this challenge off the ground by next weekend and let it run through to the new year...say provissionally the 6th Jan,.....gives 5 weeks from now which is hopefully anough time for everyone.

I proposed this ^^^^
The theme has yet to be confirmed too...there's a vote at the top of the thread of 3 suggestions.....not forced to be any of them if you come up with a better one that we agree on.

All being well we'll have it up and running by this coming weekend as I will have no (or very limited) internet access during the following week thus unable to access TP.

Are these things particularly difficult to build?

Well I did have a couple of minor hiccups and it took me more than any one hour to construct but

I doubt students would find it difficult.......Besides I was under the impression they enjoyed a "challenge"! :D

Besides I was under the impression they enjoyed a "challenge"! :D

There's a very slight difference between liking a challenge and voulentary torture :nuts: granted there isn't *that* much of a difference...

Ran a short length of film through the Recesky today simply to test it out.

Yet to scan the results, however the negs look pretty good although nothing suitable for the challenge ( unless the theme was to change to "street snapshots and signs":D)

For those that don't know, the shutter is 1/125 with a lens aperture of F/11......or at least somewhere in that region.

Going by the poll, it looks like "Construction" is going to be the theme.

I know some people have yet to receive/construct their kits.......Would anybody be opposed to officially opening this challenge on thursday
6th Dec with a view of ending a month later on 6th January 2013 ??

mothdust said:
Hurray! I found the lenses to be extremely stiff at focusing, how are yours?

Mines really easy to focus with, stiff but not EXTREMELY stiff. Might seem stupid but does your lens go all the way in? There is a pass point for the lens to be smooth.
Also I've had 1 that's faulty which I had to file the lens down.

Mines really easy to focus with, stiff but not EXTREMELY stiff. Might seem stupid but does your lens go all the way in? There is a pass point for the lens to be smooth.
Also I've had 1 that's faulty which I had to file the lens down.

ahaaaa - I've twisted them all the way in and they're a bit smoother now. Thanks :)

Ran a short length of film through the Recesky today simply to test it out.

For those that don't know, the shutter is 1/125 with a lens aperture of F/11......or at least somewhere in that region.

A few of the test shots taken on some agfa vista + 200 iso film cross processed in rodinal.

Due to being cross processed the negs lack contrast so made adjustment in pp, otherwise as shot.

receskytp5.jpg

receskytp4.jpg

receskytp3.jpg

Purposely shot a couple of close up signs to test the focusing ....works pretty darned good.

I've loaded mine with film already and took a couple shots, the wind on is going to be my biggest challenge! The guide arrow at the side doesn't turn as its not catching the film inside!! :)

Alan, I found the guide arrow was a hit and miss affair ....try squeezing the back and front of the camera towards each other ( not too hard mindst!) near to where the toothed wheel is inside the camera....I found it helped to keep the film sprockets on the teeth instead of them running across the top of them.

Nice! I like the last one especially :)

Thanks Charlotte.....I'll be back on later to post an "Entries Thread" and confirm the theme so we can get this challenge officially started!

OK guys the Receskychallenge is started.

I've ammended the first post in this thread to cover all the details.

Hopefully will have time to get mine built this weekend :D

Back