Rechargeable 1.2v batteries with Canon 580EX II

Thats odd, I have been using Eneloop AA R6 1.2v 2000mah for years in a 580 EX Mk1 for years without any problem.
Does the flash work with non rechargeable batteries?

I've used a few different rechargeable batteries over the years with mine. I think they are currently amazon basic.

When you say dont work do you mean they wont make the flash go off or they wont let the flash switch on?

If the batteries work on your Nikon flashes but not the canon flash then i would say the batteries are working.
Equally if your canon flash works with normal batteries then your flash is fine too.

The only issue can be the flashes acceptance of those batteries.

Ive used 580 mk2's loads for weddings with a combination of eneloops and 7dayshop batteries with no issue.

Why don't you contact Canon and explain what's happening and see if they have a solution? They may well look at the flash for you in case it's a simple fix.

Reading to the service manual.......
The voltage detection circuit is set up so that the flash should switch on if the total battery output is >3.2v.

Bob

I'm guessing that all's not well with your 580....is it new with warranty or have you bought it used?

Perhaps the voltage detection is set too high....somewhere between the voltage supplied by rechargeables and that of the alkaline cells.

Bob

I know its a stupid question but are they charged up?

Another stupid question...you are putting them in the right way round? Easy to do it wrong - I know I've done it myself. The label on the lid can be confusing to the unwary.

I did have one cell die on me, just wouldn't accept a charge. Are all yours accepting a charge? However saying that I've never had any other problems with Envelops, except getting them back if I've lent any out.

Back