Rechargeable Batteries

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I normally use Eneloops rechargables but looking on Amazon there are a lot more does anyone have any experience of batteries other than Eneloops as they seem to be a bit expensive now

genuine Eneloops are proven technology and highly reliable I have not used anything else in my camera gear for the past eight years, I have never had one fail yet.
On a life, cost, and reliability basis they are cheap. I am sure other pre-charged batteries are fine, but I prefer to rely on the proven eneloops to hold their charge even when left for extended periods.

genuine Eneloops are proven technology and highly reliable I have not used anything else in my camera gear for the past eight years, I have never had one fail yet.
On a life, cost, and reliability basis they are cheap. I am sure other pre-charged batteries are fine, but I prefer to rely on the proven eneloops to hold their charge even when left for extended periods.

The original eneloop was designed and developed by a battery factory in Takasaki, Japan. That factory and the Eneloop brand were both owned by Sanyo, but in 2009 things changed. Panasonic bought the Eneloop brand, while Fujitsu, as part of its FDK subsidiary, owned the factory and all the IP associated with the manufacture of LSD batteries.

In other words, there is only one factory currently in Japan that can make Low Self-Discharge nickel-metal hydride batteries (LSD Ni-MH) and that is FDK. FDK is an OEM manufacturer for other brands, Like Amazon, Fujitsu, Panasonic, and IKEA. All those brands including Panasonic Eneloop are the same rebranded battery.

The original eneloop was designed and developed by a battery factory in Takasaki, Japan. That factory and the Eneloop brand were both owned by Sanyo, but in 2009 things changed. Panasonic bought the Eneloop brand, while Fujitsu, as part of its FDK subsidiary, owned the factory and all the IP associated with the manufacture of LSD batteries.

In other words, there is only one factory currently in Japan that can make Low Self-Discharge nickel-metal hydride batteries (LSD Ni-MH) and that is FDK. FDK is an OEM manufacturer for other brands, Like Amazon, Fujitsu, Panasonic, and IKEA. All those brands including Panasonic Eneloop are the same rebranded battery.

Manfotto and Gitzo are made in the same factory in Italy using the same materials and technology.. No one would claim that they are the same.
The same is true of many Commodities that are sold as Original brands and branded for others, out of the same factories.
These differences, even when small, can be crucial to quality.

Manfotto and Gitzo are made in the same factory in Italy using the same materials and technology.. No one would claim that they are the same.
The same is true of many Commodities that are sold as Original brands and branded for others, out of the same factories.

The batteries are the same just a different label have a look online they have been tested by many people.

Agree, just because they come from the same factory does not mean they have the same materials, technology or often the most cost saving area - quality control.

It's a bit different with Manfrotto and Gitzo. The same company owns both the brands and the factories, and you won't find the same tripod rebadged under both labels - the ranges are distinct. As Tommy says, Panasonic apparently only bought the Eneloop brand, not the factory in Japan, which is owned by FDK and is the only source of these batteries in the country. Panasonic makes some Eneloop-branded batteries (not Pros as far as I know) in China, and these have tested worse than the originals:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...nese-Vs-Chinese-Eneloop-Cycle-Testing-Results

So arguably, some Japan-made FDK batteries under various brands might be 'more Eneloop than Eneloop'!

The Ikea 'white LADDA 2450 mAh' batteries, however, are basically identical to Eneloop Pro (both Japan made) when tested independently, e.g.:

https://www.slrlounge.com/panasonic-eneloop-vs-ikea-ladda-are-they-the-same/

When I bought some LADDA 2450s last year they were labelled 'made in Japan'. If this ever changes I'll stop buying them. The lower capacity brown LADDA batteries are something different.

For other 'Eneloop rewraps' under various brands, see:

https://eneloop101.com/batteries/rewrapped-batteries/

I've also bought Japan made batteries with Fujitsu's own branding, and a spec that matches Eneloop Pro. But the LADDA 2450 batteries are currently cheaper, and I don't see any need to spend more. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I normally use Eneloops rechargables but looking on Amazon there are a lot more does anyone have any experience of batteries other than Eneloops as they seem to be a bit expensive now

I use the Ikea ("Ladda") AAs and AAAs alongside some original Panasonic eneloops - I haven't really noticed much difference between the sets in actual use.

I have Eneloops for years and never had a failure yet, only two makes I have had fail are Amazon basic and 7dayshop (which failed by reversing the polarity on a few occasions).

I have Eneloop, Amazon, 7dayshop and even Lidl recharegeables and can't say I've noticed any difference between any of them but I suspect my useage is as different to yours as is yours is to everyone elses so your mileage may vary. As was demonstrated with dieselgate, laboratory tests don't always tell the whole story and it's real life that matters.

The phrase "horses for courses" comes to mind :)

The batteries are the same just a different label have a look online they have been tested by many people.

They might well be similar. It is unlikely they are the same. It would not be in their interest.

They might well be similar. It is unlikely they are the same. It would not be in their interest.

FDK only manufacturer 3 different types of LSD Ni-MH AA batteries.

All 3 are available under Fujitsu branding.

All 3 are available under the Panasonic Eneloop branding

1 is available under Amazon branding

1 is available under Ikea branding

Amazon battery is exactly the same as Eneloop black

Ikea is exactly the same as Eneloop black.

Last edited:
I bought 8 of the Ikea 'Ladda' 2450ma rechargeable batteries to use with my Apeman Trailcam, swapping between these and the 'Eneloops' I've had for a short while. I used the 'Ladda' for the first time last night with the trailcam set to operate between 8pm and 6am but when I went out this evening to replace the SD card the 'Ladda' batteries needed changing.
Question: Are these like camera rechargeables, need to charge them a few times before they acquire maximum capacity?

I bought 8 of the Ikea 'Ladda' 2450ma rechargeable batteries to use with my Apeman Trailcam, swapping between these and the 'Eneloops' I've had for a short while. I used the 'Ladda' for the first time last night with the trailcam set to operate between 8pm and 6am but when I went out this evening to replace the SD card the 'Ladda' batteries needed changing.
Question: Are these like camera rechargeables, need to charge them a few times before they acquire maximum capacity?
If you used them from new with out charging them they are unkely to have had a full charge.

If you used them from new with out charging them they are unkely to have had a full charge.
I did charge them before use but wondered if they would only reach full capacity after a few charges.

I did charge them before use but wondered if they would only reach full capacity after a few charges.
They will need a few recharge cycles in them to get the best, I always run mine down to about 20% for 3 or 4 charges, they are like phone batteries, need priming for best efficiency.

Eneloops from 7dayshop they are the best last ages had them about 7-8 years now bought the black Pro ones now seem ok time will tell I now have replaced every thing in the household with them ?And have a spare set of aa-aaa best money spent looking at getting a trail -cam myself

Another thumbs up for the Ikeas. I use Amazon Basics for anything not work related (and am not afraid to use them for backups for work stuff too!)

A wee bit off topic, but I checked on the motorhome and seen I needed a battery for smoke alarm, 7 day shop completely out of stock, so I had a look around and found 9v battery you don’t need a charger for, just a usb connection
Am I the only person amazed at this? Or are they old hat and I’m just not well informed
I ordered a couple just out of curiosity As much as anything

I now have three different products, Eneloop, Ladda (Ikea) & Powerowl (Amazon).
All three seem to work fine but the single most effective improvement with all of them has been investing in a good quality Panasonic charger (BQ-CC65). Whilst my previous charger worked, I was concerned that my trailcam reported only 65%-70% capacity from a fully charged set of fairly new batteries. The Panasonic charges each battery individually (max 4) and can 'Refresh' them if required and the capacity of my Eneloops (over 12 months old) jumpred by 20% after the first charge with it.

PS, if you want a god charger, i recently did some reading up and found that the liitikola chargers on aliexpress are really well regarded.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32854801277.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.489d4c4dkehPbo

I selected the lii-500, eu plug version. Cost $15.27 when i ordered, around £13. Can charge or test 4 batteries independently and also charges lithium rechargeables.

This site is a gold mine of battery . charger reviews
https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger LiitoKala Lii-500 UK.html

They also show a detailed analysis of the ikea and eneloop batteries showing they are nigh on identical
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Eneloop AA BK-3HCC 2450mAh (Black) UK.html
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Ikea Ladda AA 2450mAh (White) UK.html

One important measurement is missing, and that is self discharge. Enelopes stated charge retention after 1 year, 85%. Ikea didn't mentioned any data. Enelopes should keep capacity for much longer time.

It's the same chemistry as far as we know, so there's no reason to believe that branded Eneloops keep their charge for longer. The 'Ikealoops' are sold as 'ready to use' - i.e., they are charged when you buy them, which implies low self discharge.

That certainly does appear to be the case.

Isn't it the case that the black Eneloop (or equivalent) are better suited to high refresh applications like flashes?

Back