Recomend me a bag - Protection in a rucsac

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm about to have to add to my seemingly never ending collection of camera bags as the purchase of a Nikon 24-70 means my current one doesn't fit.

I'm looking for a case that will take a D300 with the 24-70 attached that will give the camera some protection when I throw it in a rucsac. Doesn't need to hold anything else as that lives elsewhere in the pack but would appreciate relatively easy access and opening so I can get the camera in and out without too much difficulty with cold / wet hands.

I've been using a Lowepro Toploader when I have a smaller lens attached and this has done the job OK.

A larger one of these, or anything else to recomend?

I have just acquired a 17-55 f2.8 to use with my D300 and have exactly the same requirement - can anyone offer any recommendations ? Thanks in advance.

It may be too big but I really like the LowePro AW302, I can have a canon body and 50-500 OS on so plenty of room.

I am using a lowepro (it's a couple of years old...looks like one of the current rezzo range ) for a d300 and 24-70...the lowepro web site lets you put in your camera dimensions and comes up with suitable bags.

I guess it depends on how fast you need to access the camera. I have a smallish hard peli-case that fits my camera and an extra lens. However you cant get to it quickly. But my main criteria was protection whilst riding my mountain bikes.

Incidently the camera and case have survived some quite spectacular offs without any damage. Unlike me.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'd never considered a neoprene sleeve or peli case ( ouch! Wouldn't want to crash onto that)
Thanks

I am going to be buying a bag for this same reason over the next day or so.
the biggest issue for me was size (wanting to carry a gripped 7D and a 100-400 L).

The two that I came across are the "Thinktank holster" series and the "Lowepro Toploader Pro" series. I think that Vanguard make one as well.
A lot will depend on if you are going to want to put anything larger in there at a later date? I would go for something like the above that will allow for larger kit later on if at all possible.

I don't think I'll get on with the dimensions of the toploader (quite deep and I don't use a grip) but the Thinktank looks perfect - Cheers!

Depends if you need a lot of space or not - lowepro aw400 flip side is like a normal back pack, opens on the back. Waist belt to turn on your waist to access the camera gear. (Re)Moveable insides to restructure as required. Outer pocket (zipped) for other bits and two side pockets for bottles... Also has a tripod foldout holder bit. Might be too big for what you need though?

The list of lenses below, it holds almost all, plus flash and extra bits n bobs...

Might be best to take you kit to a camera store and try afew bags to see which meets what you need. Then you can look for cheaper/other options of the same size??

Having almost decided on a lowepro pro 65 aw for my d300/17-55f2.8, I gave Morris photo a call to ask for their suggestions. Long story short, I drove up to visit them yesterday morning and very quickly discounted the lowepro in favour of a think tank digital holster 20. The think tank is a perfect fit and takes up less space in a rucksack than the lowepro. after leaving Morris photo, I drove over to photograph an equestrian event at addington - and to try out my new purchase ... So far very pleased.

I'm a bit late since you have already bought your bag - but I can reccommend the HPRC range of kit, especially the rucksack.

Depends what your requirements are to be fair, but if you need decent protection then it is probably up there with the best of them (if not the best).

I have no complaints (... well apart from the price obviously).

Back