Recomend me a Photographic enlarger

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi People

Before I jump into building a darkroom I need to see if I can find a enlarger for my needs

I use 35mm 6x6 6x7 and in the future I may have a go at 5x4 , To start with black and white but may have a go at colour at a later date
Been told colour is a pain in the B--T ?

Does a enlarger exist that will cover these formats ? I don't want to end up like darkroom Dave with 6 enlargers

:)

I use a Durst L1200 5x4 enlarger, for which you can either (a) get additional negative carriers that take the other sizes you are interested in, or (b) get a 5x4 neg carrier with glass (one side anti-newton glass) and adjustable guides so that you can mask off the area beyond the smaller neg sizes. This allows you to use any neg size up to 5x4 including less common sizes such as 6x12 or 127.

On the down side a 5x4 enlarger is going to more expensive than one that only goes up to 6x7 and the anti-newton glass was expensive. The enlarger is also tall and heavy - check that your ceiling is high enough to accommodate the centre column height, on top of your table.

Prior to the Durst L1200 I had a Cromega 6700 (might have that name wrong) which did 6x7 and the smaller sizes - I got that one for free.

Both the Cromega and the Durst had a colour head but I've not yet got round to printing colour.

I have a De Vere 54 with a Agfa colour head which will do all of those sizes with the right condensers, the more modern version is the 504 models. I was lucky to get one locally as enlargers to do up to 5x4 do not come up very often. I started out with a Durst 35mm enlargers before moving on up to a colour enlarger that can do up to 6x7 and then recently got the De Vere. The smaller size enlarger are quite easy to come by and if you are willing to travel you can get a bargain (I Have a Gnome enlarger you could have for free but would need collecting from Cornwall). You can also try here for enlargers https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/

I use a Durst L1200 5x4 enlarger, for which you can either (a) get additional negative carriers that take the other sizes you are interested in, or (b) get a 5x4 neg carrier with glass (one side anti-newton glass) and adjustable guides so that you can mask off the area beyond the smaller neg sizes. This allows you to use any neg size up to 5x4 including less common sizes such as 6x12 or 127.

On the down side a 5x4 enlarger is going to more expensive than one that only goes up to 6x7 and the anti-newton glass was expensive. The enlarger is also tall and heavy - check that your ceiling is high enough to accommodate the centre column height, on top of your table.

Prior to the Durst L1200 I had a Cromega 6700 (might have that name wrong) which did 6x7 and the smaller sizes - I got that one for free.

Both the Cromega and the Durst had a colour head but I've not yet got round to printing colour.

Just had a look on line for a Durst L1200 One for sale at £1800.00 with NO POWER SUPPLY , Ruddy Nora :eek:

I have a De Vere 54 with a Agfa colour head which will do all of those sizes with the right condensers, the more modern version is the 504 models. I was lucky to get one locally as enlargers to do up to 5x4 do not come up very often. I started out with a Durst 35mm enlargers before moving on up to a colour enlarger that can do up to 6x7 and then recently got the De Vere. The smaller size enlarger are quite easy to come by and if you are willing to travel you can get a bargain (I Have a Gnome enlarger you could have for free but would need collecting from Cornwall). You can also try here for enlargers https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/

Thanks for the advice , One 504 for sale but it collection only in Scotland

My last enlarger was an Omega Prolab 45, which is the most compact and sturdy multi-format enlarger I've encountered. To give an idea of size: the easel on the baseboard is 15x12 and the Nova processor next to it is a 3 slot, 16x12 model.

The important thing is to get at least one negative carrier with the enlarger, ideally the 5x4. Any decent light engineering firm can then run up the other sizes you need for reasonable money. The carrier is glassless and consists of only four components: upper and lower plates plus 2 locating pegs.

The Prolab isn't common in the UK but a nice piece of kit if you can find one...

Omega Prolab 45 enlarger and Nova processor.jpg

Last edited:
Another option is the intrepid enlarger solution. According to their website, this will cater for 5x4, 120 and 135. The advantage being that, if you don’t have a large format camera already (and you like the intrepid), then this gets you a camera in the first instance, and then the bits you need to turn it into an enlarger. All you need is a tripod or self made column, and a flat table to project onto.

Another option is the intrepid enlarger solution. According to their website, this will cater for 5x4, 120 and 135. The advantage being that, if you don’t have a large format camera already (and you like the intrepid), then this gets you a camera in the first instance, and then the bits you need to turn it into an enlarger. All you need is a tripod or self made column, and a flat table to project onto.

This may be a option , 2 birds with one stone , Thanks

Thanks for the offer , However I already have a Gnome , not used it yet , It has a
Palar Anastigmat 1:3.5 F = 50mm lens and a rather crude Negative carrier , Loos like the previous owner cut a red sheet filter to 35mm format , The back of the filter holder measures 6 x 8.5
As I understand thing you need a 50mm for 35mm film , A 80mm for medium format and a 105mm for 4x5 ?

Last edited:
I think @Asha might use one of these...

I used to use an LPL 6700 - won't do 5x4 but was excellent for all the other formats and very well built.

I think @Asha might use one of these...

Yes can highly recommend the intrepid kit enlarger.

Out atm but happy to offer more details and a personal review later if of any interest

Yes can highly recommend the intrepid kit enlarger.

Out atm but happy to offer more details and a personal review later if of any interest

Yes please ,

Yes please ,
Ok no probs.
It’ll be this evening before I get chance..... hopefully I’ll make it worth your while waiting for !

Out of curiousity, what size do you intend enlarging too?

I’d hold off until Intrepid announce their 35mm/120 (up to 6x7) enlarger. It’ll have colour LEDs which will let you colour correct for RA4 and dial in the correct grades for multigrade b/w. Kickstarter in March according to them.

Yes please ,

Firstly just so that it is clear to the OP, I only produce monochrome prints so any considerations towards making colour will have to be judged on the views of other togs who do or have done colour wetprints.

The Intrepid enlarger kit:

I'm presuming that the OP has watched the video on Intrepids website and thus has a good idea of what the kit consists of and how it works.

As with most products it has its good points and it's not so good points and this brief review is of course only based on my personal experiences.

So let's start with what I have found to be negative points but not so negative as to not recommend the kit to others;)

1. The setting up if using a tripod can take a while and be a tad tedious to ensure that the camera ( both standards) are square / parallel with the easel.
I have used the kit both facing (traditionally) downwards onto a table but also horizontally with the easel mounted on a wall.
The latter option I find easier, nonetheless setting up does involve a certain amount of patience.

If changing paper sizes , the rising / lowering of the enlarger using the center column / legs of a tripod can be a pita. ( an alternative of course is to raise/lower the easel using books or by wall mounting the enlarger and using a height adjustable table.)

I imagine a copy board setup is much more straightforward and I am actually in the process of adapting the column of an existing enlarger to accomodate the Intrepid kit.

2. The filter holder is, imo, the weakest part of the kit in so far as it is very easily dislodged from the lens.
Up until purchasing a different filter kit with secure below lens filter holder, I used a little gaffer tape to secure the Intrepid holder to the lens but bear in mind I do a lot of filter changing ( grade splitting) so perhaps this will prove less of a problem to other users.

So now the positives:

1. Firstly, if space is an issue then there's no 5x4 enlarger on the market that will pack down and store away like the Intrepid kit will.

2. It will work on most ( if not all) standard 5x4 field cameras with graflock back.

I now use mine on an Intrepid 10x8 camera with 5x4 reducing back, a camera that is destined to be my permanent enlarger and will hopefully accomodate the 10x8 enlarger kit when it becomes available from Intrepid.

3. The light source is powerful and evenly distributed across the negative / print.

I regularly/ predominantly print 12x16 inch prints and have never had a problem.

4. The lens board will house standard enlarger lenses although a LF lens of 'standard' focal length for the format ( ie 150mm ish for 5x4) can also be mounted on its linhof board and works equally well ( arguably better!)

5. The filter holder, barring the points made above, does what it needs to do and accepts standard square gel filters that are readily available fairly cheaply.

6. The Power source is DC with adapter supplied.

Perhaps a longer length of lead would be an advantage but it's no big deal....It functions perfectly well and feeds both the lamp and the timer.

7. The digital timer is excellent, easy to use.

Accurate to 1/10 second with a memory function for the previous set time.

8. The negative holders work fine.

I have the full set but have only used the 5x4 .

It does crop a little too much from the edges of the neg for my liking ( more so than the holders in my scanner) and it would be beneficial if the holder was recessed to accept the neg easier, but to be fair I bring the issues on myself by composing edge to edge on the groundglass, thus leaving very little room for "manouvre"

I think that I've covered everything.

If anything else comes to mind , I'll add edits to this post.

Any questions, just ask ....

Thanks for your reply , Not read it yet as I am just in from work ,13 hour night shift and i'm of to bed , Will read it later once again thanks

Hi Asha
I have taken in your comments , I was hoping for a enlarger that does BW and colour , starting with BW and then moving on
Space for me in the room I intend to use would not cause any problems
I will have a second look at the video

Regards Allen

Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts

Hi People

Before I jump into building a darkroom I need to see if I can find a enlarger for my needs

I use 35mm 6x6 6x7 and in the future I may have a go at 5x4 , To start with black and white but may have a go at colour at a later date
Been told colour is a pain in the B--T ?

Does a enlarger exist that will cover these formats ? I don't want to end up like darkroom Dave with 6 enlargers

:)

I print colour. Once you get used to the technique it is probably easier than B&W. It is either right or wrong. So long as you are reasonably consistent with film type. film developer, Paper and paper developer then you are home and dry. The most difficult part is getting used to working in almost total blackout although there are safelights which work with colour but as I said it is a matter of technique ,consistency and being methodical and tidy in the darkroom.

The last enlarger I used was the best enlarger I ever owned, bought new, a Besseler 23Cii. I had the condenser head and just used it for B&W. The neg carriers were great, kept negs nice and flat. The condensers were adjustable via bellows, it could handle 16mm to 6x9 negs. It was built extremely well. I did look into a 5x4 model, but to print larger than I could with 6x6 and 6x7 I would have had to make a recess in the ceiling for the head to raise higher into the loft, or have the hassle of locking the head in its horizontal position. Although I'm totally digital now I do miss that enlarger and the smell of fixer.

Last edited:
The last enlarger I used was the best enlarger I ever owned, bought new, a Besseler 23Cii. I had the condenser head and just used it for B&W. The neg carriers were great, kept negs nice and flat. The condensers were adjustable via bellows, it could handle 16mm to 6x9 negs. It was built extremely well. I did look into a 5x4 model, but to print larger than I could with 6x6 and 6x7 I would have had to make a recess in the ceiling for the head to raise higher into the loft, or have the hassle of locking the head in its horizontal position. Although I'm totally digital now I do miss that enlarger and the smell of fixer.

A Besseler 23Cii. on ebay at the moment , However after 2 contacts the seller wont tel me if it has a lens mount or a negative carrier , Just keeps saying he knows nothing about it ? Strange ,

A Besseler 23Cii. on ebay at the moment , However after 2 contacts the seller wont tel me if it has a lens mount or a negative carrier , Just keeps saying he knows nothing about it ? Strange ,

The eBay seller states "Please, before buying, look at the pictures - you are buying only what you see on the pictures - no more, no less!", and the lens boards and neg carriers are missing, so alarm bells should ring. Also the enlarger looks in poor condition, perhaps it came from a house clearance. It must have had one hell of a bang to crack the base board. Looking at pictures on the web mine must have been the 23Cii XL, as it had the bigger base board. I used to print 24" x 24" max from 6x6. I never had room for very large trays, so used to develop and fix in a large colour drum, and make multiple small test prints to enable me to dodge and burn for best results. For smaller prints trays were manageable. Best to buy from someone who owned and used the enlarger and has the neg carriers and lens boards.

Well it looks like I am well and truly sorted re a enlarger/s , So sorted I have ended up with 2 , DOH! :eek::oops: :$

Not wanting to let either seller down I will be collecting one tonight and one tomorrow evening

All will be revealed , Watch this space :)

As said , Opps!

Just home with No 2 , It's still in my van until tomorrow as I am due in work soon and have had no sleep yet today , Opps !

1 st Enlarger now in residence

LPL C7700 Pro , With power supply and a timer :)

Will be of to collect No 2 soon :)

Looking at online images it was the C7700 that I used and not the C6700. I am sure you will absolutely love using this enlarger, as said previously it is extremely well made and produced excellent results with all 35mm and medium format films.
The filter system was great for colour and multigrade papers.

From memory I'm sure we used Nikkor lenses with it.

Great choice (y)

(ETA The biggest difference to my colour printing many years ago was using a JOBO Developing system to keep tempeatures very closely monitored otherwise you will 'chase your tail' with colour casts and filtration. Only small differences in temp cause changes in colour casts on your prints BUT when you pull a perfect colour print from the processing drum you will smile for days!)

Wish I had the space for a darkroom - it really was the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me many years ago - digital just doesn't give that excitment/satisfaction for me.

Last edited:
F1.2 wrote
Does a enlarger exist that will cover these formats ?

Pretty much any enlarger will cover all smaller formats , subject to availability of suitable neg carriers . So If you buy 4 x 5 enlarger , you can technically cover just about all the 6 x ... formats and 35 mm if you can get the right neg carriers .

My brand recommendations are DeVere (solid and rugged as a Sherman tank) , Beseler and LPL . Lenses : Rodenstock Rodagon or Schneider Componon

While a lot of people use and are happy with Omegas , from my personal experience with both large and medium format Omegas , they had wonky chassis and subsequent alignment issues : they were typically lop-sided in design and so often the lamphouse / negative stage assembly would not sit properly flat on the chassis frame - citing the older Omega D, E, F and C700 series as examples of the issue . On my old Omega C700 , I frequently had to undo the assembly and reset the assembly and the little rubber friction pads between the chassis and the column , so it would run up and down column without losing its alignment .

For colour printing , I find the dichroic, dial-in-filter type colour lamphouse better for precision and reliability of colour settings . As opposed to the the removable acetate filters that go in the front filter drawer . Even with careful handling , the acetate filters are more easily prone to damage and soiling , and the colours are not as consistent as the dichroic filters . Also , the dial-in dichroic filters can achieve much finer increments of colour whereas the acetate filters are typically only available in larger increments of colour .

The "pain-in-the-Butt" factor of colour , from where I stand , is the availabilty of chemicals and paper these days , with COVID lock-downs and shops closing left, right and centre . Don't know what decent photo shops within reasonable reach of London that are open or at least operating . You may be in for a long wait for supplies of colour paper and chemicals . My favourite was the Fujicolor Crystal paper (and RA-4process ) .

Hope that's of some use .

db3348

Looking at online images it was the C7700 that I used and not the C6700. I am sure you will absolutely love using this enlarger, as said previously it is extremely well made and produced excellent results with all 35mm and medium format films.
The filter system was great for colour and multigrade papers.

From memory I'm sure we used Nikkor lenses with it.

Great choice (y)

(ETA The biggest difference to my colour printing many years ago was using a JOBO Developing system to keep tempeatures very closely monitored otherwise you will 'chase your tail' with colour casts and filtration. Only small differences in temp cause changes in colour casts on your prints BUT when you pull a perfect colour print from the processing drum you will smile for days!)

Wish I had the space for a darkroom - it really was the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me many years ago - digital just doesn't give that excitment/satisfaction for me.

Same here , I only use digital for email and snap shots and forums

from my personal experience with both large and medium format Omegas ... citing the older Omega D, E, F and C700 series as examples of the issue.
I agree that the "twin strut" Omega enlargers had more problems than enough. The single strut units are quite different animals, especially the Pro-Lab single strut enlargers, which appear immune to anything short of a collision with a Challenger Tank.

Not working tonight so have a bit of time to fill in the details

Happy and Gutted

Very happy with the Beseler , And when collecting following Covid Mask gloves distance tec , A short conversation went as follows

The seller said " Good job you contacted me when you did " I saw why ?
We are moving home 1st week in January and if the enlarger did not sell it was going to the tip , Like all the other gear did . I ask other gear ?
Yes I got fed up with advertising all the darkroom gear , Trays , Jugs , Safe light , Tray warmer , Film dev tanks etc
My heart sank :confused:o_O

I ended the conversation saying , Yes I need all that

Still at least the Beseler lives another day :woot:

Yes I got fed up with advertising all the darkroom gear , Trays , Jugs , Safe light , Tray warmer , Film dev tanks etc
My heart sank :confused:o_O

I can understand him wanting to get rid and the fustrations of trying to find a taker but to dump at the tip is a real shame.

I think my heart would sink too at such news
:(

As a last resort here, which actually works very well, is that folk place objects, from plants through to kids toys and clothes, next to the public bins as freebies for anyone who wishes to take ( I know in the UK each household has an individual bin so it's a different system).
The majority of gear gets taken before the bin men arive the following day.
I came across some CDs yesterday but not my taste.

My last enlarger was an Omega Prolab 45, which is the most compact and sturdy multi-format enlarger I've encountered. To give an idea of size: the easel on the baseboard is 15x12 and the Nova processor next to it is a 3 slot, 16x12 model.

The important thing is to get at least one negative carrier with the enlarger, ideally the 5x4. Any decent light engineering firm can then run up the other sizes you need for reasonable money. The carrier is glassless and consists of only four components: upper and lower plates plus 2 locating pegs.

The Prolab isn't common in the UK but a nice piece of kit if you can find one...

View attachment 303268

Looks a bit like this one on facebook

Back