recomend me a raid 1

Name
phil
Edit My Images
No
Right, after much looking about and just confusing myself, im looking to get raid 1 ideally 6tb (3tb on each drive) for a bit more security, now im looking to spend something in the £300 region and really unsure what to be looking for

Hoping you guys can help me out

So what would you recomend?

you know with raid 1 mirror you only get half the amount..

i.e. 2x 3tb = 3tb (approx).

if you want 6tb youll probably need to run a raid 5 with 3x 3tb = 6tb (approx). or if you want to retain raid 1 mirroring 4x 3tb = 6tb (approx).

also factor/price in a backup.

(note - all sizes approx, they will be lower due to overheads)

Last edited:
Yup RAID1 is Mirroring so it takes two drives and keeps identical data on each so if you get two 3tb drives your going to be getting 3tb.

You either need RAID0 which will combine the drives into one (giving 6TB) or look at another solution such as RAID5 or RAID10 however each will require 4 drives.

such as RAID5 or RAID10 however each will require 4 drives.
RAID5 is 3 drives, not 4 (2 live + 1 parity). RAID6 would be 4 (2 live + 2 parity) :)

Woops my bad. Yeah you can do RAID5 with 3 + 1 or 4 + 1 (More depending on your controller)

Without confusing the OP even more it's best he clarifies what he's looking to achieve ( 3TB or 6TB total ) and whether he requires redundancy or not.

Also is he looking for a NAS solution (separate file server) or doing it internally to his pc?

If he's looking at putting a RAID solution inside of his PC does he have a RAID controller card or does his PC offer up a "software raid" system. Most of these only offer up 0 or 1 (5 and 10 if your lucky) so your limited on how complex you can get anyway. A low to mid raid card is going to set you back upwards of £70? and even without that your not going to get much change from 3 x 3TB drives for a budget of £300 let alone 4.

I've been very happy with my ReadyNas duo. I think the version I have is limited to 2tb per drive max however the updated version allows more (I think).

One good thing about it is that the firmware has quite a few useful functions that are in-built with good community support (ReadyNAS remote for one).

The other option would be a HP mini-server, these are more powerful but by all accounts very very useful.

I guess also, it all depends on your competency.

For that budget an icy box with drivers of your choice would be best. If you want USB/esata attached.

Avoid netgear storage devices in my professional and personal opinion. But if you want network attached I'd say definitely go synology

Synology do a 2-Bay NAS that will fit the bill perfectly and give you decent performance to boot. Lots of extra features you can enable if you need them and iSCSI compatible as well if you wanted to go down that route. :)

If you can afford the extra, look at the Synology DS411 as an example as you could expand your storage if needed.

Neil

Well paydays been, iv been looking at the synology ds213 still but the 8tb (2x4tb) as the extra space will allow me to not have to worry about hard drives for a long time..

It's going to be around the 540 mark which is nearly double my original price :s

Do you think raid1 nas is a little excessive? Part of me is thinking what's wrong with getting 2 normal externals and doing that way?

yeah either or. you just have to either have a full time sync app or copy manually.

remember raid isnt a backup anyway, so in addition to the raid1 you should have an extra drive with your data stored on.

If you want to tinker about have a look at the HP Microservers. They were running cash back offers on them recently. You can then either use FreeNAS or DSM Synology software on the Microserver.

Just remember that by using RAID (of any variant) you are only protecting against hardware failure. If you (for example) accidentally corrupt a file, it'll be corrupted on your RAID backup as well, instantaneously.
RAID is better than nothing, but a more comprehensive backup solution would include a set of logical backups, i.e. a daily (or whatever) backup of your files to another location, be that on the same disk or cloud or something else.

I'm sure you know this.. but RAID1 is not back up.. nor is RAID5, 10 etc. It's redundancy. You aren't asking about RAID1 because you think you'll be "backed up" are you? Apologies if not.

basically i wanted everything on one drive to work off and backup against hardware failure, i'm half way through organising everything but once done, i will be keeping my externals off site so i have backup if needed against fire/theft/ any software issues...

Ended up with a synology ds213+ and 2 x 4tb drives

Back