Recomendations for a wide angle for nikon d3300 please

What kind of focal length are you thinking about?
Somewhere about 18mm gives you an equivalent of 24mm on a full frame (in old money if you are used to SLRs!)

You can use manual lenses without too much bother as the depth of field is so much greater at short focal lengths making focus a lot less critical- unless you are very close to the subject.
Older, decent wide angles still cost quite a bit. 24mm was considered very wide back in the Eighties.
A more modern lens with an internal motor is more practical and cost effective for you, I would have thought.
Tokina, Tamron and Sigma make pretty good wide angle zooms.

Last edited:
Tokina 11-16 is about £300...

Thanyou ,Nick i was hoping to purchase in about a month when my funds are ok.if you still have it then i may well be very interested. And Ken how does the Tokina measure up with the Sigma?
Cheers

The Tokina is a better lens if the limited focal length suits you.

It is better built, is sharper and importantly (if you're planning starscape/aurora shots) is f/2.8.

All of the UWA lenses are pretty decent though - I was happy with my Sigma 10-22.

Tokina gets good reviews. They do the older 11-16, newer 10-17 and newest 12-28!
Sigma is a good solid lens.

You could go prime, with say a Samyang 12mm or 14mm. They tend to be cheaper, in the £150 to £250 price range.

hmm i like the idea of a prime ,i always mess about too much wondering should i zoom a bit or not etc,primes you have no choice apart from moving your feet or tripod.will have a look
thanks again

Back