recommend a Canon landscape lens

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to try a bit of landscape photography and need a lens.
The body i have is a eos 5d.

Thanks felix

I would like to try a bit of landscape photography and need a lens.
The body i have is a eos 5d.

Thanks felix

for 5D, anything around 24mm is wide enough for most landscapes. If you want to go ultra-wide, then 17-40 or 16-35 are your only canon choices (not sure what sigma or tamron has available).

otherwise, 24-105 is an excellent lens on a 5D.. cheaper alternative is 28-135.

Sigma 12-24mm?

But then again it depends what you mean by landscapes. Some interpretations can lead to incredibly narrow views, think leading lines, urbanscapes etc, whereas others show herds of gnus drifting majestically across the plains. Effectively you could be using anything from 12mm to over 500mm.

Having said that, if it's rural landscapes, then you are probably better off going for something above 35mm to avoid distortion, although it can be corrected in PP or used as a feature.

I used to love my 17-40, sold it with some gear a few years ago and have regretted ever since. Definitely one for your short list.

Easy choice. 17-40L.

17-40L as thats what I use on my 5d classic. Its a lovely lens! If i dont need that wide then I tend to use my 24-70.

Apparently the 17-40 L is well priced too isn't it?

Rosie

Well I just bough a canon 16-35mm to give it a go, will let you know. Mind you not a cheap toy lol

I use a 24-105 as my default lens. If I'm shooting panos or anything that won't fit in the viewfinder I just take more than one shot and stitch them together. Also use portrait mode.

Back