Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Want some ideas please on a compact.

Focal range, not too bothered wide end but want at least 110mm long end

Good optics

Reasonable low light performance, although I can use a tripod if need be.

Print size up to 10 x 8 inches

Reasonable budget....up to around £800.

Not too bothered about the latest models.

Thanks

John

Sony RX100. I've got a mk2 and love it. I don't keep up with all of the latest generations but I'm sure for up to £800 you can get a snazzy recent model.

£800 is a BIG budget for a compact and will get you a 1" sensor camera. A Panasonic TZ100 or TZ200 are I think easily in budget. These have something like a 25-250mm equivalent zoom and for a 10x8 viewed normally should be good at high ISO's.

I agree with Alan that the TZ100 is the closest fit although the Canon G7X II only falls just short at 100mm.
Only Canon, Panasonic and Sony are producing anything in this genre these days so choice is distinctly limited.

How compact does it need to be? Would something like a Sony RX10 II or Panasonic FZ1000 be too large?

Yes but the latest, apart from the vi, don’t go to a very high zoom.... shame that
There is a feature where you can zoom in by cropping into the sensor, it isn't technically digital zoom - forget what they call it [clear image zoom] but it allows up to about 105mm
The latest RX100VI has much longer zoom but you lose some useful stuff like inbuilt ND. It's also too dear IMO
V3 to V5 are best options for the stated budget V5 is best choice for video.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for the replies. I'm not bothered about pocket ability but just want to grab my camera and go. I do have a Panny GX1 so I am undecided wether or not to go for a Pro zoom.
Obviously £800 would be for top end stuff and for something really special.

Last edited:
In that case I suggest the Olympus 12-200mm f4 to go with your GX1. It's a little over your budget but all the reports say it's worth the money.
Another option if you're prepared to use Panasonic's equivalent of Clear Image Zoom (which doubles the maximum focal length of the lens) is the LX100 (original or II). I've just treated myself to one and it's very impressive.

There is a feature where you can zoom in by cropping into the sensor, it isn't technically digital zoom - forget what they call it [clear image zoom] but it allows up to about 105mm
The latest RX100VI has much longer zoom but you lose some useful stuff like inbuilt ND. It's also too dear IMO
V3 to V5 are best options for the stated budget V5 is best choice for video.

Can I choose the focal length or is it purely 'done' in software?

Sony's Clear Image Zoom is digital zoom, but Sony claims it's cleverer than most. From a quick bit of research, people are saying that it sometimes works well, sometimes badly, and may not be any better than crop/enlarge in post. From what I've read, it's only available if you shoot JPEGs (not RAW), so would be a non starter for me.
Bearing in mind that I've only been interested in the smaller cameras, if you're looking for a greater zoom range, an RX100 Mk VI would be in budget if you don't mind buying from a (reputable) grey importer: https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3638/sony_cyber-shot_dsc-rx100_vi_digital_camera_mark_mk_6_rx100m6
The Panasonic TZ100/200 would do a similar job for less money, though are not supposed to be as good optically.
I'm sure there are plenty of decent options if you don't mind a large camera body although, in that case, a decent zoom lens for the GX1 might be more sensible. The Olympus 12-100mm is excellent but expensive, and the Panasonic 14-140mm is decent and much cheaper.

I have the TZ100. The lens is a bit soft, no doubt a result of the compromises needed for such a long range zoom. It's perfectly fine unless you go pixel peeping though.

Back