recommend a decent compact film camera with autofocus?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I was (unintentionally) out in leeds at 2am last night with my camera and had some delta 3200 film in. Anyway, some really dramatic/interesting things happened but I felt pretty conspicuous capturing with my F4 and lenses. You know what drunks are like, they're pretty volatile and I wouldnt want to get in any trouble if they saw me taking their photo whilst they were perhaps doing something they shouldn't, etc. It was so interesting though. I really want to do it again.

I really like using high speed film though so a compact digital wouldnt suit my tastes. That got me wondering if anyone could recommend a compact with good IQ and decent autofocus, or if anyone has one knocking around to sell :)

thanks
Nick

The Olympus XA is considered one of the classic street cameras, but no AF. Check the details as well, because many compacts won't meter for high ISOs.

thanks, I'll look into it :)

Yeah, only goes up to 800. The Rollei 35 is another well regarded compact camera (albeit also non-AF), they are quite pricey though.

I've got a samsung compact (fino 105s) with reasonable zoom kicking about that I don't use. Full AF and a few trick features. Don't know what the iso limit is on it though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I've been investigating, and a yashica T3 or T4 seems to be a good bet, anyone used one? :)

Ricoh GR1

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh_GR1

b13
1zguov6.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I've been investigating, and a yashica T3 or T4 seems to be a good bet, anyone used one? :)

Got a T5, but there was a thread mentioning a charity shop (I've forgotten) with a box full of P&Ss going for about £5 each.
My last P&S I played with was quite nice...Nikon AF210 if you can get it for a fiver, dunno if it's the best bang for buck camera but the lens is quite sharp:-

Nikon AF210 with my finger in the way, OOD Kodak colorplus:-
CNV00011-900px.jpg

that's pretty sharp, thanks for the info *hunts for thread*

I sold a Yash T3 last month. Good little camera, fast AF and good IQ, not very quiet thought.

Andy

I sold it on fleabay about 2 months ago, it didn't sell here..:shrug:

The Ricoh was great but I found 28mm a bit wide.

If you want to go really cheap, the Nikon 35LAF is very good for the money..

I sold it on fleabay about 2 months ago, it didn't sell here..:shrug:

The Ricoh was great but I found 28mm a bit wide.

If you want to go really cheap, the Nikon 35LAF is very good for the money..

........got the Nikon L35AD AF as well, and indeed it's a very good camera.

thanks very much guys, yes, I thought £80+ was a lot to drop on a film compact, might go for something a little cheaper

thanks very much guys, yes, I thought £80+ was a lot to drop on a film compact, might go for something a little cheaper

Gulp :eek: I've got my collection to play with from boots sales from 50p to £1.50.....and my wife is sick of em all as I say "bought you another camera" :LOL:

I'm a big fan of the Nikon 28Ti. Maybe a bit wide at 28mm, but outstanding Nikkor glass and good autofocus. The only drawback is that they cost a mint these days!

This was with Tmax 3200, taken of a Pink Floyd tribute band.

4995178391_8326765077_z.jpg

Back