Recommend a flash meter please?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking at the Sekonic L-358 flash meter. Anybody use one? Read the manufacturer's stuff but would like some feedback from the real world before I spend my dosh.

Not used the 358 but the 308s is basically industry standard studio rental meter.

I suspect you won't go wrong with any Sekonic.

Thank you looked at your site. Thought your holiday snaps (man on bridge in b & w) really clever

HI Andrew,

I have the L-358 and it is a superb meter. It can hold the additional light trigger to use with pocket wizards, but I have not got that, as IMO it's not an essential part and the extra cost is silly money.

You would be very happy with that meter and unlikely to want more.

All the best

The 308 is an excellent choice and a superb meter, really compact and slips into a shirt pocket easily. The 358 is more bulky but also measures flash and ambient simultaneously and shows the percentage contribution of the flash to overall exposure - something you may find useful if on location.

Thanks, hadn't really looked at the 308, will have a peek and compare the two.
(y)

The 358 gives ambient/flash percentage comparator over the 308, which is very nice indeed.

Personally, I use two or three gossens and have always been very pleased with them.

And another for the 358. Simple to use and as already said handy comparison of flash / ambient light. If you don't need this then save some dough and buy the 308.

I have the L358 at the moment and its fab. Cant fault it to be honest - one of the things along with my tripod I would be gutted to parted from :)

Forgive my ignorance, but why would you use a flash meter?

Putting it simply to get the correct exposure! Cameras measure reflected light (that light that bounces of the subject) Lightmeters measure light falling on the subject so generally offer a more accurate reading. Now whether you measure to the camera or to the light is a whole different question...;)

I got myself a 308 at focus and so far it seems like a handy little unit, not had a chance to try it out properly in the studio yet though

I've owned a Minolta Auto Meter VF for years and it has always worked perfectly. Very rugged and a good size. My artificial lighting was studio lights or off-camera flash and generally using PC cables & optical slaves (I know, old school stuff) and the Minolta worked 100%.

I just checked and I don't see these listed on the online camera stores, maybe they are no longer sold?? Of course, if they are no longer sold maybe you can pick up a used one cheap.

L358 here too and I love it... also with the RT32 radio trigger module fitted. I use Interfit Titan - Pro transceivers (Pocket Wizzard II clones) which work a treat with the RT32 (y)(y)(y)

I just checked and I don't see these listed on the online camera stores, maybe they are no longer sold?? Of course, if they are no longer sold maybe you can pick up a used one cheap.

Now sold as kenko meters.

Very good they are too.

Back