Recommend a good on-line photolab

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - I can no longer get 7x5in prints done from my digital files, as all my local retailers have scrapped their labs. Can anyone recommend me a good on-line lab to upload my shots for printing. Thanks.

A quick search will answer this.... However DSCL and Loxley always sit around the top (Loxley for me, but more expensive)

That sounds bad Mark. All your local retailers? Who were you using?

Another vote for DSCL, I'm lucky to be driving distance to the Manchester shop!

yet another dscl here, just got my latest order yesterday, perfect record so far, easy to use and quick delivery
I'd suggest giving them a try
But I keep threatning to use Loxley after getting a nice tour of the place, top quality throughout factory and I've never heard a bad thing about quality and customer service

Loxleys for me, alway 100%, I did some test prints 3 different sizes and sent them to each lab, I think loxleys come cheaper for their larger stuff and you never have to trim it yourself. But I hasten to add dcsl are fine for hobby or low importance shots, depends what you want I guess :)

Loxleys for me, alway 100%, I did some test prints 3 different sizes and sent them to each lab, I think loxleys come cheaper for their larger stuff and you never have to trim it yourself. But I hasten to add dcsl are fine for hobby or low importance shots, depends what you want I guess :)

I agree, I find that Loxley just pull out a bit more detail and life in my prints.

Nigel - do you mean the pro service involves no further processing, or the 'non-pro' service involves no further processing?

Btw, is there a link to the pro service on this page - http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/services.cfm?

apologies, on reading back my post it's pretty damn ambiguous :bonk:

What I meant was, if the pro service is used, DSCL do not do any processing to the image, they just print it as is. Perfect for those that like to do their own processing and image sizing

The link for the pro service is here

I used DSC for first time and just saving up a few more prints to ease the postage costs. getting mounts is more my worry now

Shame you have to register with Loxleys just to see prices...

Something for Loxely's to bear in mind then.

Unless they are considering themselves as top end pro, and only want to take on what they consider 'solid', serious clients. Oversight in my mind, and effectively handing business on a plate to DSCL, who get way more recommendations on this forum than any other lab.

Well done DSCL.

........ if the pro service is used, DSCL do not do any processing to the image, they just print it as is. Perfect for those that like to do their own processing and image sizing

Ah, thanks for the info. :)

The link for the pro service is here

I hadn't spotted that order page before. Is there any price difference between the 'Pro' and 'Standard' services? This page gives 'online print' prices but it doesn't distinguish between the Pro/Standard options - http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/online_photo_printing.cfm.

I think they hide prices to assist the pro's and hide prices from pro's clients, of course it's not hard to find out, but non of their products come with logos etc on the back etc, which for me is good as I don't tell my customers where my prints/albums/ or anything else comes from!

I think they hide prices to assist the pro's and hide prices from pro's clients, of course it's not hard to find out, but non of their products come with logos etc on the back etc, which for me is good as I don't tell my customers where my prints/albums/ or anything else comes from!

(y)

lushuk said:

Except anyone can register

Just going to re-recommend dscl as per my post earlier in this thread, had an order of 12x8 come through this week and they arrived bent (royal mail you are actually useless, bent the package right in half!) by the 9am next day I had replacement prints and a very apologetic email despite it not being their fault :)

so DSCL above photobox then seems to be the general consensus of opinion. Although I belive photobox are cheaper on postage. I will give dcsl a try and see if I like them.

Just another question about DSCL have I got to fill in one of there order forms if I order online or are they only applicable if I send say a cd in? Yes I do realise that I could leave myself open to sarcasm about asking the obvious.

Just going to re-recommend dscl as per my post earlier in this thread, had an order of 12x8 come through this week and they arrived bent (royal mail you are actually useless, bent the package right in half!) by the 9am next day I had replacement prints and a very apologetic email despite it not being their fault :)

Agree, their aftersales service is superb.

-Paul- said:
Just another question about DSCL have I got to fill in one of there order forms if I order online or are they only applicable if I send say a cd in? Yes I do realise that I could leave myself open to sarcasm about asking the obvious.

Just use the online ordering system to upload your images and select the product you want for each one.

POAH said:
Except anyone can register

Yes that's correct but they would have to know where you got the products from in the 1st place, even on their prints there is no "loxleys" printed on the back etc, where as the dcsl have their name on the back of prints, so if I charge £20 for a 10x8 they can see costs 51p which I'm not comfy with, I like the anonymously (if that's a word) :)

Last edited:
Out of interest, what processing do DSCL do to shots if you don't pick the 'pro' option?

I take it this is the only difference between 'pro' and 'standard' services...

Ive only ever used their pro service as I prefer to do my own processing and sizing.

Give them a call to ask what they do if the pro option isnt used. They are very nice people and I'm sure they will be able to help (y)

Thanks everyone, I have looked at DSCL but they seem to want all images resized to the correct output size. I tend to order 150+ 7x5ins which is one hell of a lot of time to resize and resave. Have I misread the instructions?

I emailed dscl this morning re the pro and standard service and this is the reply it got within 20 minutes:

"All are pro service means the files are untouched so we can match your monitor when using paper profiles and the auto is an automatic adjustment to the files, make sure your files are srgb and use pro service."

Can't say clearer than that. They recommend the pro service over the standard.

Thanks everyone, I have looked at DSCL but they seem to want all images resized to the correct output size. I tend to order 150+ 7x5ins which is one hell of a lot of time to resize and resave. Have I misread the instructions?

Batch resize?

Before you send anything away to print it is nearly always best to resize to the output size.

What editor do you use? there are quite a few good stand alone products that do batch resizing that are free to use.

so DSCL above photobox then seems to be the general consensus of opinion. Although I belive photobox are cheaper on postage. I will give dcsl a try and see if I like them.

Photobox may be cheaper on postage but the quality is a lot poorer IMO compared to DSCL whose colours are a lot more vivid and have more 'punch' in them. Photobox I found were very bland and flat.

Batch resize?

Before you send anything away to print it is nearly always best to resize to the output size.

What editor do you use? there are quite a few good stand alone products that do batch resizing that are free to use.

Thanks Tom - I use Elements 9

Back