Recommend a lens for a Canon 50D

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
No
Please help me choose a lens for my Canon 50D. It will be arriving shortly with no lens, this will be very frustrating. I was going to purchase a Canon 80D but thought I'd test the water first with the 50D. I owned one of these several years ago before selling up to allow me to study a degree.

I'm currently just after a general walk about lens. Something my get me interested again. I am leaning towards portrait photography at the moment but don't want to limit myself by buying something too specific.

Canon lenses I have previously owned:
18-55mm kit lens - meh
24-105mm L lens - loved this one
18-135mm kit lens - was okay

Was really tempted to get a 24-105L again as I enjoyed this lens so much, but that was on a 5D.

If you liked the 24-105mm on full frame, probably the 17-55mm or 15-85mm would suit you on the crop. Similar build and image quality too.

Last edited:
My favourite "walkaround" lens is the Canon EF-S 15-85mm. Note: not 17-85mm.

Canon EF-S 15-85mm all day long IMHO. Bought one for my (now dead) 50D and kept it for the 7DII.

Gives the same angle of view as a 24-104 gives on a FF body, excellent IQ and the focusing and IS systems work well. There can be zoom creep when carried, but I can live with that.

Back