Recommend a lens

Edit My Images
No
People keep telling me instead of upgrading buy another lens or two. So im going to have a go at it. I have a canon 300D and have the standard lens 18-55mm. But im starting to do people photography so im looking for a lens for up close for pictures like portraits etc..

Simple.

50mm f1.8

And I bet I'm not the only one with this suggestion :LOL:

i personally would buy the 50mm f1.8 and also buy the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 to replace the kit lens you have.

That would get you to going for a long time before you thinking about buying another big zoom or more primes.

When i started out i made a wrong decision of buying another slightly better zoom to replace my kit lens, i should of buy the Tamron instead and i probably will still be using it now, but i got a 28-70 now so thats a different story ....

Last edited:
The tamaron 17-50 f/2.8 is supposed to be very very good a specially for the price.. But instead of the 50f/1.8 I would get the 35/f2 or the 50 f/1.4 much much better quality build and glass. If u want to upgrade the body I would look at the 18mp canon 60D it's awesome. I personally have the 550D and I'm very happy with it and it's even better now as the price has gone down to £460 including the kit lens. But the 60D is more robust

The 300d is an old body now, it has far poorer ISO handling/af than its more modern counterparts.

But the 50mm f1.8 will give it a new lease of life and is a great portrait lens on a crop sensor.

Back