Recommend a Winter jacket for out in the Field

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

After sorting out footwear for this winter from the recent thread on walking boots, my next purchase will be a jacket/coat.

I currently own a Babour Down Waxed Explorer Quilt jacket. It is big, hot and not so waterproof (with its yearly re-wax)

Id be looking for a waterproof/windproof with lots of pockets. My 1st choice is the Paramo Halcon Jacket which if im honest ticks all the boxes, Only concern is it needs reproofing 2/3 times a year at a cost of £30.00 a pop :eek:.

Anyone got recommendations, budget is up to £300???

Kellett

I'm not convinced by the claims about Paramo waterproofing. I've reproofed mine twice using the "wash-in" method and i'm still not convinced! I'd be happy to hear otherwise but they don't seem that effective to me. But on the bright side if you do it yoursef using the correct Nikwax waterproofing it costs very little, certainly not the £30 you mention.

Is anything truly waterproof except a thick plastic bag? I doubt it.

Id be looking for a waterproof/windproof with lots of pockets. My 1st choice is the Paramo Halcon Jacket which if im honest ticks all the boxes, Only concern is it needs reproofing 2/3 times a year at a cost of £30.00 a pop :eek:.
I've got one of those jackets. Great stuff. Where do you get this 2/3 times a year reproofing from? Presumably Paramo. Tosh. Total tosh. Unless you are really hammering it repeatedly going out over tough terrain and in inclement weather you do it when you feel the proofing has gone. Had mine for 4 years and still don't think it needs doing.
As for £30 that's more tosh. Get a bottle of wash in stuff and it will last you years. One wash cycle and dry in the tumbler and that's all it takes.
I've been using Paramo for 20 years now and am happy to continue doing so.

I've got one of those jackets. Great stuff. Where do you get this 2/3 times a year reproofing from? Presumably Paramo. Tosh. Total tosh. Unless you are really hammering it repeatedly going out over tough terrain and in inclement weather you do it when you feel the proofing has gone. Had mine for 4 years and still don't think it needs doing.
As for £30 that's more tosh. Get a bottle of wash in stuff and it will last you years. One wash cycle and dry in the tumbler and that's all it takes.

:agree: What he said, covers it exactly.
When (if) it gets dirty, wash in NikWax Tech Wash, warm tumble dry and it refreshes the water proofing.
Once a year, after the Tech Wash, add the TX10 waterproofing, put back on a full wash and its ready for at least another year. I do mine just before winter sets in.
I wear nothing but Paramo, and have done for the best part of 20 years, never been wet through the jackets or trousers.
Tech wash and TX10 are around £11.00 for a litre each, a twin pack will be around £18.00 and last about 9-10 washes/treatment.

Last edited:
I've snowboarded for 20 yrs and have had many jackets over the years from lots of big brands, however my current Patagonia jacket is by far the best I've had.

Ventile or Fjallraven jackets?

I gave up on waterproofs many years ago when walking the hills, I got soaked from sweat trying to stop getting soaked from the rain or snow, however such things are ok if you're sauntering in a shower or standing about.

I've used ventile for years and love it, as with Fjallraven trousers and most recently a No.8 smock,great in showers and crawl about on the ground? just bung it in the washing machine when dirty.

Jack wolf skin do really good jackets, pricey but worth it.

I was lucky enough to get a snugpak sasquatch from my kids this year as a present (HH voucher).. It doesnt have loads of pockets but trust me you wont be cold!.This thing is warm.Also go for a size smaller than you normally would as they come up massive.If you arent hiking around too much these are great jackets.My one cost me just over £30 on clearence but most places are about 115-150.
http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sasquatch

I have used a variety of Musto to Gill aching jackets. Warm, without sweating, good enough freedom to move, really high collar to stop the wind, and long, down to near the knees. Pockets are huge. They are expensive but with it in my opinion. So good that I use it for ski wear on holidays.

The following is from the Paramo site -

Caring for waterproof and water-repellent garments

Páramo waterproofs offer significant advantages over other manufacturers’ garments in terms of durability and longevity. The waterproofing is renewable indefinitely with Nikwax aftercare products. Correct aftercare for your Páramo Analogy, Fleece, Windproof or Cotton+ garments is essential to maintain the performance of our unique fabrics and prolong the life of your garment:

• We recommend regular cleaning with Nikwax Tech Wash® (every 4-8 weeks with regular use, more often in muddy conditions, for example). Regular washing in Tech Wash will not damage the garment. Rapid wetting of the outer fabric in rain (i.e. water absorbed by the fabric) is a sure sign that the water-repellency is fading and washing in TechWash is required.
  • We recommend re-proofing with Nikwax TX.Direct® every 4-6 washes. (Cotton+ garments can be re-proofed with Nikwax Cotton Proof™). More frequent re-proofing will not necessarily produce improved performance.

In addition to caring for your garment at home, Páramo offers a professional clean & re-proof service at the cost of £30.00 per garment. Any garment being repaired or modified (whether under guarantee or not) will have this carried out as part of the process before it is returned to you.

Taking the most pessimistic figures above it would mean reproofing every 16 weeks (or about 3 times a year) . If anyone goes for that time scale I would recommend doing it themselves rather than taking up Paramo's offer.

However, I would not suggest washing and reproofing of Paramo waterproofs is done anywhere near that frequently.

My Paramo jacket is at least 15 years old and I have washed and reproofed it very few times. I'd guess it might be about four times in total.

The wetting of outer fabric is largely cosmetic anyway. It doesn't look as attractive as water beading up and running off the surface but, due to the way the fabric works, it does not affect the water proofing. Like animal fur the outer surface can get wet but the water doesn't get through to the inside.

I'd recommend Paramo anytime - warm, but not sweaty due to how it moves liquid away from the skin, windproof, waterproof. Not cheap but very good.

Have to say this is based on very little experience of waterproof clothing because I haven't thought of buying any other jacket since I bought mine.

Dave

I've not had to proof my Paramo jacket that often. Once a year 'just in case it needs it' has been my regime and I've not been wetted yet. As Paramo do their freebie samples via their web quiz you can usually get the required solutions for a jacket a fleece and one pair of boots each year for the cost of two minutes online.

Having said that, in deepest winter I swap to Ventile coat and trousers.

Both materials are easy to maintain and quiet.

I have friends who use Patagonia and Musto but they are in Finland so cold rather than wetness is more of an issue.

Incidenatlly, I used Nikwax on my leather boots for years. When Nikwax stopped using traditional wax they were unable to suggest an alternative for my nice and comfy Scarpa boots. That's the one time when I would say Nikwax have let me down in 35 or so years

Thanks for the detailed responses and personnal encounters with your jackets, it has really helped. Ive had a look through all the jackets recommended and it really is a mind field :runaway:

I think im swaying more towards Paramo. Really good to hear the treatments are not as needed as the manufactor is stating. Thought it sounded OTT as I only send my babour in for re-waxing once a year. I really am amazed some of your jackets had lasted 15 years (y)

Next will have to pop down to go outdoors and try on a Halcon for fitment (y)

I've just bought a Mountain Equipment Triton jacket. Down filled without the huge puffy look, very warm, light and apprtently waterproof but not tested in heavy rain.

Not sure if it's the kind of thing you'd be interested in? Only 3 pockets so may not be enough.

Went down to go outdoors today, tried on for size and ordered from raymears.com for £264

Looking forward to delivery before our trip to breacon :banana:

i have the paramo pajero jacket, find it very good, however i alway wash it with tech wash and then reproof after each wash, might try just a wash as described above

i do find their waterproof trousers comfy but have found damp knees or backside if i sit or kneel

a friend, says hand washing it better for them than a machine wash,

website sportspursuits (you need to join) has good discounts on paramo, just not the full range, i got a jacket for the wife but she didn't like it, about 42% off, they take orders then bulk buy to get discounts

I use Berghaus Cornice goretex with/without a zipped in fleece depending upon climate. Latest (bought 4 weeks ago) cost me £99 at Black's because it was last year's model ... :)
Possibly not enough pockets for you though (2 large & a map pocket)?

Went down to go outdoors today, tried on for size and ordered from raymears.com for £264

Looking forward to delivery before our trip to breacon :banana:
Should have price matched in go outdoors plus extra 10% off.

Was an idea but they dont sell the halcon only the Pajaro jacket, asked if they could get one in and was declined!!!

I agree. And if you get one from the Paramo "seconds" store via Ebay, they aren't so expensive. Mine was discounted because of some chipped paint on one of the zips. And you get a bottle of the reproofer thrown in.

I've found the layering approach to be ideal for winter outdoor photography. The main problem is one of very active walking/clambering which makes you really hot, followed by long periods standing quite still which makes you cold. So I use several layers and put them on/off as required.

Usually I'll have a wicking long-sleeved t-shirt on.
Then a zipped light fleecy thing
Then a mid-layer insulated jacket - the Arctryx Atom is excellent and packs really small.
On top of that, a goretex pro shell - I have a Mountain Equipment Changabang which I got in a sale at a great price. 4 front pockets on it, but it's literally just a shell with no insulating properties.

If it's going to be really cold and I'm going to be standing about for a while, I'll have a squidgy puffa jacket to go on top of that lot.

Seems like a lot but in reality you're wearing everything up to the Atom jacket, with the shell and puffa rolled up small in a backpack. Here's a Scottish mountain in February pic for you...

12745576_10204155932378016_1139302122797810156_n.jpg

Jacket arrived today, impressed as only ordered last night.

Got quick question about the foam inserts on the back are they easy to put back in once removed as they look like a tight fit???

Back