Recommend me a 100-400 combo

I’ve shot with the Q3 at Goodwood, keeping it close to my chest, arms tucked in tight, was told I looked like a miniature T-Rex……..

Don't overthink a track day tool, A9 and 100-400, go shoot, simple.

The bit that causes me to overthink that combo is the budget - that combo pushes over my ceiling - a lot (probably) depends on what I get for the gear that I will be selling - though that combo does have some other benefits, in that I'd have a stacked sensor and one of my disciples wouldn't have one, so it would force him to make a purchase too :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The bit that causes me to overthink that combo is the budget - that combo pushes over my ceiling - a lot (probably) depends on what I get for the gear that I will be selling - though that combo does have some other benefits, in that I'd have a stacked sensor and one of my disciples wouldn't have one, so it would force him to make a purchase too :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Never had you down as a champagne taste, lemonade money kind of guy, especially given your extravagant purchase from Wetzlar, blow the cobwebs off the wallet :ROFLMAO:

What you selling ?

Never had you down as a champagne taste, lemonade money kind of guy, especially given your extravagant purchase from Wetzlar, blow the cobwebs off the wallet :ROFLMAO:

What you selling ?

Not sure yet, but possibly several GFX lenses and some film stuff that I don't use too often. I used the Q3 and GFX50S+GF63mm last weekend and felt that as a pair they worked really well. But if I had a motorsport combo, then I could let the GF100-200 go and the I'm umming and arring about the GF45mm at the moment, as that Wetzlar P&S Camera is rather good.

Last edited:
Not sure yet, but possibly several GFX lenses and some film stuff that I don't use too often. I used the Q3 and GFX50S+GF63mm last weekend and felt that as a pair they worked really well. But if I had a motorsport combo, then I could let the GF100-200 go and the I'm umming and arring about the GF45mm at the moment, as that Wetzlar P&S Camera is rather good.
The price of the latest bodies just keeps rising which makes the A9 look even more of a bargain, not sure you'd be happy with the results for landscape though, motorsport on the other hand, could say it's so good it may enter the realms of being boring ?

The price of the latest bodies just keeps rising which makes the A9 look even more of a bargain, not sure you'd be happy with the results for landscape though, motorsport on the other hand, could say it's so good it may enter the realms of being boring ?

Don't let the fanboi's hear you.......................................................... :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, the Canon 100-400ii is at the top of my invetigation/shopping list - just what to pair it with DSLR or Mirrorless
Out of the 1DX2 or R7 I prefer the 1DX2. The R7 has some nice features, but ultimately its an older pro body vs a new pro-sumer body, and I think the physical size of the 1DX body makes operating the camera and lens together better balanced.

Thanks, the Canon 100-400ii is at the top of my invetigation/shopping list - just what to pair it with DSLR or Mirrorless
It’s your motorsport setup. That’s gotta take priority. Don’t muddy the waters with what if.

Can also be adapted to a GFX as well.

My GFX does have the AF speed or the frame rate for what I want!
I use an A9 with the Sony 100-400mm and it's a brilliant combo. You could just about do it with your budget if buying used.

Previously used the Canon R7 with the Canon 100-400mm II and that was no slouch either.

Thanks, I’m coming round to the A9 + 100-400GM

My GFX does have the AF speed or the frame rate for what I want!

Thanks, I’m coming round to the A9 + 100-400GM
New 100-400 currently on offer at Cotswoldcameras for £1499, then there’s the A9 in the classifieds with the £1k asking price. In budget

Edit: oh how disappointing, I didn’t realise Cotswold were grey imports. Ignore above.

Last edited:
New 100-400 currently on offer at Cotswoldcameras for £1499, then there’s the A9 in the classifieds with the £1k asking price. In budget

Edit: oh how disappointing, I didn’t realise Cotswold were grey imports. Ignore above.
Nothing wrong with grey per se (not wanting to open up the ethics debate ;))

Park cameras have A9 in at £1069 and Sony 100-400mm at under £1400 so would be within your budget.

I want to thank all for their input. I'm pretty much decided to go for an A9/100-400GM - it will have to wait a short time, while I sort out what I'm actually getting rid of to help fund it.

I accept that the A9 might not be the best if I want to use it from landscape work, but I might keep the GF100-200 to give me some reach with the GFX.

I haven't though completely ruled out a Canon Solution.

I want to thank all for their input. I'm pretty much decided to go for an A9/100-400GM - it will have to wait a short time, while I sort out what I'm actually getting rid of to help fund it.

I accept that the A9 might not be the best if I want to use it from landscape work, but I might keep the GF100-200 to give me some reach with the GFX.

I haven't though completely ruled out a Canon Solution.
I don't think the DR on the A9 is tha bad in all honesty, people have happily shot landscapes with the 5D3 for years and the A9 quite a bit better DR than that. Plus you can backet if needs be.

I don't think the DR on the A9 is tha bad in all honesty, people have happily shot landscapes with the 5D3 for years and the A9 quite a bit better DR than that. Plus you can backet if needs be.

Toby, thanks for the info, since shooting the GFX I have moved away from bracketing, this has meant shooting less with a tripod, which gives great freedom, both in mobility, but more importantly in bag weight!!

Going to see my son tomorrow and have a good chat with him, he is a Sony shooter (A4iv, FX3) and have a good chat with him.

Agreed. I shoot exclusively on A9s and very happy with landscapes. Briefly had A9 and A7Riii but prefer simplicity of having same controls on both.

@Mr Perceptive Well if you have got a kit then first race at Oulton in March 23, bikes, so if your there in the morning head over to the outside of Lodge, there will be a couple of us shooting through the fence before the sun starts to catch it.

@Mr Perceptive Well if you have got a kit then first race at Oulton in March 23, bikes, so if your there in the morning head over to the outside of Lodge, there will be a couple of us shooting through the fence before the sun starts to catch it.
Thanks but not a fan of bikes - I’m a car man!! Might go for the GTs at Easter

Same gig again :ROFLMAO:morning outside of Lodge and will be there just not which day.

Back