Recommend me a Digital Camera

Edit My Images
No
After a recommendation for a digital camera. I'd like :-

- Something relatively small and light as I do most of my photography walking around.
- Kit zoom with the option of fast primes for low light, ideally 40mm (35mm equiv) or near enough.
- A viewfinder, as I struggle with screens without reading glasses.
- Usual PASM modes
- Relatively cheap, at around £300 second hand or less for body+ one lens. A camera from the 10MP era or newer is usually good enough image quality for my needs

Have tried :-

Nikon D60 - Really, not too many complaints here and I like shooting with it. However, probably a bit too big and I feel a bit self conscious using it at times with the kit zoom on
Canon EOS M10 - Size wise spot on, but chiefly struggle with screen only amongst a few other issues.
Panasonic Lumix LX5 - For a compact, I actually really like this. Have issues with the screen again, but possibility of optional EVF. Fixed lens though, although admittedly fast for this kind of thing.

Options :-

Nikon 1 V1/V2 - Cheap, but seems like a dead system ? Although not too bothered if it fills my needs
Fuji X10/20/30 but with a fixed lens, X-E1 for a system ?
Panasonic Lumix G1/2/3 ?
Canon 100D for a smaller DSLR ?
Something Sony ?

Welcome any suggestions

Olympus E-M10 with 14-42mm?

Yep. And rather handily there is a Panasonic 20mm lens for it which is cheap and lovely and gives 40mm equivalent fov. The panosonic g cameras are nice too but I prefer Olympus for the incredible ibis system.

I'm not sure that I'd recommend the Panny 20mm f1.7 as IMO it comes with too many potential issues and there are alternatives that don't. It's ok for leisurely good light focusing though.

Ste_S;
As you've listed an LX-5 in your original post, what about a Sony Rx 100 mk 3?
I had one of these for about a year before selling it to a family member. Great little camera, 1"sensor with a pop up EVF.
I've had a look back through the archived classifieds (on TP) and one recently sold for just over your budget. i would strongly suggest that you try and handle one though, because they are very small in the hand.
Also, might a Sony A6000 plus kit lens do the job? Again one recently sold in the classifieds for just over your budget.
Incidentally, I am not currently a Sony user! My main kit is Canon and my backup a Panasonic G80.
Given your comments re fast primes and "PASM", are you thinking about using "adapted" lenses?

A short while ago I read the reviews of the Panasonic TZ90 compared to TZ100 both sounded interesting as "travel" cameras. Subject to 2nd hand prices I wonder if either of these would suit what @Ste_S is seeking........ The TZ100 though has the faster lens and larger sensor!

Olympus M4/3 or Fuji XE2
Only drawback with Fuji IMHO is that the lenses get a bit pricey.

Thanks for all your recommendations folks, much appreciated. Think I've narrowed it down to Fuji X-E1/2, Olympus M10 I/II and Sony NEX-6/ A6000.

Gives me a good selection for potential stock at the likes of MPB, CEX etc for part-ex'ing my other stuff

For £300 I would get the Olympus E-M10 MkI + the Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS kit lens. Ideally you would get the E-M10 MkII but that will probably consume all your budget.

If you're happy to spend £400 the Olympus E-M1 MkI + a kit lens would be within reach as well.

And.... I went for a Canon 100D. For two reasons - an optical viewfinder and how cheap (and plentiful used) the 24, 40 and 50mm primes are.

Initially very pleased. Just got the kit lens at the moment, will be ordering a 40 or 50mm tomorrow.

Back