Recommend Me A Film Camera Please

Edit My Images
No
Currently using a D3s/D700 so use Nikon FF lenses.

I'm wanting to get a film camera to muck about with and thought of getting one off EBay - any recommendations for Nikon models I should look out for?

Anyone got any opinions on the Nikon EM?

Thanks in advance

EM would be fine but F80 would work with all you current lenses in all modes inc VR and G lenses.

I think it might be a good idea to post this in the film and conventional thread, where the experts live....

I've never used an EM but they are highly regarded. I have had an F301 which was a cracking little camera, an F90 which is getting nearer to a DSLR with af etc. and I now use an F3 which is a stunning manual camera and built like a brick.

Depends on your budget as well, F301 can be had for £15-20, F90 £30-40 and F3 from £100 upwards.

Cheers

Andy

The EM is rather limited, if you want a fully manual camera without electronics (bar the meter) then look at the FM's

I'm currently using a D3s/D700 so use Nikon FF lenses.

I'm wanting to get a film camera to play around with and thought of getting one off eBay - any recommendations for Nikon models I should look out for? I'd prefer one more the size of a D700 rather than the D3s

Thanks in advance

Well if you can use AF lenses on non AF film cameras then:- we've had a Nikon EM in the family for 20 years and it still gives correct exposed negs, good basic camera. Another good Nikon still going very cheap is 301/N2000, I paid £8 for mine w/o lens.

Hang on is the OP lens the "G-Series" Nikons :shrug:

If so would these work on a Nikon EM?

However if they have aperture rings then every thing is ok.

Nikon F80 would work they look nice machines.

The lenses I have are:-

17-35mm f2.8 AF-S
70-200 f2.8 AF-S
50mm f1.4 D
35mm f2.0 D
20mm f2.8 D

Duplicate threads merged :)

The lenses I have are:-

17-35mm f2.8 AF-S
70-200 f2.8 AF-S
50mm f1.4 D
35mm f2.0 D
20mm f2.8 D

They are all full frame lenses so the first hurdle is over. All the D lenses would work with cameras going back some time so EM and FM are ok. The first two lenses could be a problem if they are G variants or have VR. You need to give lenses their full Sunday names to tell without looking them up but anything that has no aperture ring will require a camera that has support for that mode of working so we jump to a newer body like the F80, F90/x, F100, F4, F5. VR will only work with certain bodies too. I'm not a big fan of Ken Rockwell but this page of his does tell you what you want LINK.
The F80 will do everything you want and run at maybe £30-50

Last edited:
Thanks for all the very prompt advice - just found a mint F80 on EBay for £60 so bought it :clap:

So - can I change my question! - recommend me some films to put thru it. I'm dying to try Fuji Velvia 50 in it but if anyone has any recomendations if I was going to order say 5 films of various types (colour/B&W)/ISO's, what would they be?

Last edited:
hanks for all the very prompt advice - just found a mint F80 on EBay for £60 so bought it :clap:

So - can I change my question! - recommend me some films to put thru it. I'm dying to try Fuji Velvia 50 in it but if anyone has any recomendations if I was going to order say 5 films of various types (colour/B&W)/ISO's, what would they be?

Will you be doing any home developing?

Will you be looking for B&W? - If so will you be wanting something that you can develop anywhere?

For B&W (C41 process - ie develop at Tesco etc)

Ilford XP2
Kodak 400cn pro

For B&W (non C41 process)

The Ilford range :)

I don't do much colour but the one I have done recently that was good was a ektar 25 I was given.

Thanks again for the quick reply

I'm not going to process myself. I was thinking of using Costco for the smaller and colour prints and maybe Ilford's for larger B&W prints if I take anything worth hanging :D

Try a roll of Legacy Pro from Digital Truth. Its really good value and produces some excellent tones.

Andy

you mean WTF is FTW...

Minolta Dynax 9 FTW == Minolta Dynax 9 will make you irresistible to the opposite sex, make every picture you take a classic, and cause you to win the lottery every week for a year and a half. (For The Win)

IOW, the best :LOL:

For The Win - is this some sort of former colonial form of expression ??? Sounds like something the septics would come up with :shrug:

Minolta Dynax 9 FTW == Minolta Dynax 9 will make you irresistible to the opposite sex, make every picture you take a classic, and cause you to win the lottery every week for a year and a half. (For The Win)

You need to cool down, I suggest getting a Konica pearl to play with :LOL:

Yeah - nearly there, even a Konishiroku Pearl eh? Spent out on the TVSIII this week though so it will have to wait. Still, the quarter-plate nears completion and soon will be fitted with a 120 back for 6x9 piccies :D

Currently using a D3s/D700 so use Nikon FF lenses.

I'm wanting to get a film camera to muck about with and thought of getting one off EBay - any recommendations for Nikon models I should look out for?

Thanks in advance

eKhmmmm

Back