Recommend me a flash for Sony

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I have Both a Sony a7Rii and a Sony a7Riv camera's

My present flash Nissin di700 and wireless trigger, is not compatible with either of these camera TTL etc

I'm looking for a replacement, used for Macro / portraits and a couple of weddings later this year

Thanks in advance

Les :)

I use Godox Ad200’s and AD600’s for off camera, V350s for on camera. Have also previously used V860II’s but thought they where a bit cumbersome on the Sony bodies. Godox also do a tt350s which is the same small flash but use AA batteries rather than a rechargeable battery pack it is much cheaper but recycles slower. The convenience of not having to use AA batteries is worth the extra cost for me.

Have also tried the Godox V1 which isn’t too bad either but way too top heavy to use on camera.

Godox flashes for Sony do have an inherent problem with the plastic hotshoe breaking but if you are careful they are fine. The only option with a metal hotshoe is the higher end Sony flash but it’s a ridiculous price for a standard AA battery flash. You can buy replacement hotshoes on eBay quite cheaply.

Godox is also sold under several other brand names like Neewer etc.

Last edited:
[
I use Godox Ad200’s and AD600’s for off camera, V350s for on camera. Have also previously used V860II’s but thought they where a bit cumbersome on the Sony bodies. Godox also do a tt350s which is the same small flash but use AA batteries rather than a rechargeable battery pack it is much cheaper but recycles slower. The convenience of not having to use AA batteries is worth the extra cost for me.

Have also tried the Godox V1 which isn’t too bad either but way too top heavy to use on camera.

Godox flashes for Sony do have an inherent problem with the plastic hotshoe breaking but if you are careful they are fine. The only option with a metal hotshoe is the higher end Sony flash but it’s a ridiculous price for a standard AA battery flash. You can buy replacement hotshoes on eBay quite cheaply.

Thank you Tommy, I did think you were the go to guy for this - Im favouring the Godox V350 :) price orientated lol

Les

I have Both a Sony a7Rii and a Sony a7Riv camera's

My present flash Nissin di700 and wireless trigger, is not compatible with either of these camera TTL etc

Hi,

If it's the flash you put in the classified section, I have the same and I've tested it on my A7II and TTL works. I wouldn't have thought it would be any different for any other camera using the Sony interface?

Ad200 will work with any camera, and has just enough power for use as a studio head. The downside is of course it needs to be mounted on a stand or held in hand without any option to have it on camera bar some creative bracket.

Ad200 will work with any camera, and has just enough power for use as a studio head. The downside is of course it needs to be mounted on a stand or held in hand without any option to have it on camera bar some creative bracket.
Not quite true. Use either the Godox X1T or X2T trigger with a flash shoe on top plus the EC200 extension cord then the AD200 head is on top of the camera and the body can be in a pocket, shoulder bag, whatever.

Hi,

If it's the flash you put in the classified section, I have the same and I've tested it on my A7II and TTL works. I wouldn't have thought it would be any different for any other camera using the Sony interface?

It didn't work on my Sony a7Riv or my Sony a7Riii - TTL yes but unable to adjust the power output same on manual, wireless worked ok using the trigger

Traded it with some cash for a pair of New Godox TT350s

I finally opted for a pair of Godox TT350s - suits my style of shooting to a tee - thanks for the advice

Not quite true. Use either the Godox X1T or X2T trigger with a flash shoe on top plus the EC200 extension cord then the AD200 head is on top of the camera and the body can be in a pocket, shoulder bag, whatever.

You don't even need the cord... Why? Just how will you position the flash while you hand hold the camera presumably with both hands? You need someone doing for you or some stand or bracket. On a run it can only be bracket

I don't think you understand what the cord provides. It has a cold foot on the end that takes the flash head so that fits into the shoe on the trigger and the flash is correctly aligned above the camera.

I don't think you understand what the cord provides. It has a cold foot on the end that takes the flash head so that fits into the shoe on the trigger and the flash is correctly aligned above the camera.
Must admit - I misread your #7 first time - thought - you wanted to slap an AD200 on the camera - then I realised you were talking about using the remote head :)

Are the hot shoe replacements easy to fit should one break on a job?

Sorry ignore that, just googled it.....probably easier to pack a spare flash ;-)

Last edited:

I would call this an advantage, and it's probably designed that way.

If you've given the flash enough of a whack to rip off the hot-shoe, and it's a common kind of accident with the gun on-camera, then that's exactly what you want to happen and only costs a tenner to replace DIY. The alternative is for all that leverage force to go straight to the camera's hot-shoe, which would likely mean an expensive trip back to the manufacturer for repair.

I would call this an advantage, and it's probably designed that way.

If you've given the flash enough of a whack to rip off the hot-shoe, and it's a common kind of accident with the gun on-camera, then that's exactly what you want to happen and only costs a tenner to replace DIY. The alternative is for all that leverage force to go straight to the camera's hot-shoe, which would likely mean an expensive trip back to the manufacturer for repair.

It is designed that way because it is much cheaper not for any other reason and it isn’t any sort of advantage. All other Godox flash’s for other brands have metal hotshoes it’s only different for Sony because they are more expensive to make because of the extra tech.

It is designed that way because it is much cheaper not for any other reason and it isn’t any sort of advantage. All other Godox flash’s for other brands have metal hotshoes it’s only different for Sony because they are more expensive to make because of the extra tech.

Oh you mean just the plastic Sony foot. In which case, totally agree!

There are now plenty of brands offering flash and radio triggers for Sony, I guess it really depends on what you are willing to spend and your future requirements and uses.
In terms of a system Godox is certainly with exploring and their kit is very reasonably priced with some great features.

Last edited:
Back