Recommend me a lighting setup

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
So I've been reading up on different lighting techniques having been a photographer who has never used lighting in his life.

But now I feel if I want decent portraits then I need to make the jump and get myself some form of lighting set up. If I'm being honest I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the options available.

I've established its a speed light I'm after but them I read about filters, soft boxes etc and it makes me want to cry lol.

So I guess I'm after peoples opinions are experiences for outdoor portraits what a good set up is. I don't want cheap as I don't really want to buy better 6 months down the line. So any input, what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

Before I loose the will to live.

Scott

Outdoor portraits? A bit of fill-in flash outdoors is one thing, trying to beat bright ambient light with any kind of quality and control is quite another.

What kind of outdoor portraits exactly? How bright is the ambient light likely to be? Can you link to an example image?

Thanks for replying Richard.

This is it, my knowledge just isn't there. I don't have an example in mind more as to what speed light is a good all rounder to have on the camera?

I think you're looking at things a bit too broadly here - there is such an almighty large amount of lighting styles, techniques, kit etc. etc. that you're not going to find a helpful answer without specifics. Honestly, the best advice I can give is carry on shooting with what you have until you see a need for certain equipment (specifics). See a need, fill a need.
Why not read up, research and get inspired using natural light in the mean time - it would set you on a good path to know its beautiful possibilities and it's limitations and might even focus your search RE: lighting equipment.

Happy shooting!

Thanks for replying Richard.

This is it, my knowledge just isn't there. I don't have an example in mind more as to what speed light is a good all rounder to have on the camera?

If you want to learn about portrait lighting, the place to do that is indoors. You can get properly started with one studio light and stand/trigger/softbox etc from about £200, and build from there.

Outdoors, it's different. Everything hinges around the ambient light level that sets the working base. Full sun is very bright and you need a lot of power just to get even (expensive), but in shadow, or overcast, or later in the day, you can do pretty well with much less, eg speedlites. For value, Yongnuo gun with YN 622 triggers are favourites, but lots of choice.

As another poster replied its a massive broad question you are asking.

The best and cheapest way to learn is to go out and find yourself an old photography lighting book from a charity shop. Avoid any new book that has digital in the title.

All the techniques mentioned in these old books are just as valid now as they were then and are actually the technique still employed by professional photographers. All the new school techniques constantly written about in the new style 'digital' books are generally very lazy techniques that provide quick fixes without any real understanding and achieving only average results.

Then go out and buy yourself a secondhand head or two. Old cheap flash heads work just as well. If you are lucky enough to find some quality old flash heads like Elinchrom, Bowens etc. then they'll blow away any of the cheap modern stuff. Full stop.

Armed with 2 heads and a few sheets of card you can achieve amazing things following these basic techniques.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Go to strobist (http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/) and look at 101 - it covers everything from a flash point of view - then as others have said - it depends on what you want to achive.
Then experiment - put the results up in the critique section and ask away...

Back