Recommend me a metal detector

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

Had a fly thought that getting my 6 year old son a metal detector will get us out the area more often which equals photographic opportunities for me then realised I know nothing about them.

Can someone please recommend one for the wee one or even a reputable manufacturer so I can get one. Looking at something under £100 if that's realistic. Any more and the wife might win the argument.

Maplin have an entry level one on sale at the moment.
Don't forget the trowel and small bucket. :)
I won’t forget the other parts. I’ll get onto amazon and sort them by review. That’s worked for most things I’ve bought.

Do you have a site to serch with permission ? All land is owned by someone , Councils will not allow detecting

Having spent half a lifetime using them ,all I can say is your budget is totally unrealistic .a decent machine capable of finding anything other than iron will set you back around £500 and that’s still basic .for a child’s machine that actually works contact Graeme or mel rushton at unearthed u.k who will advise you honestly ,and as others have told you you need permission to search any land ,and sometimes permits for beach searching ,but you need different machines for that as well .
It doesn’t end there either consider ,spades ,headphones,boots,probes .

And please please DO NOT buy one from maplins they are true crap .

Last edited:
Out of interest, has said son expressed an interest in metal detecting,?

@the black fox , I understand where you're coming from, as a long time enthusiast, but on current information, we're looking at a surprise present to give a boy something to do while Dad's out togging. Something cheap that picks up iron will find pocket change, and that will likely be a win for a six-year-old, and may lead to a more serious interest,but he'll need to work up to that, or risk leaving Dad to get rid of an expensive white elephant in a few months if this doesn't kick off. :(
According to the OP £500 is not going to get a green light from Mrs scottduffy. I see Unearthed sell a lot of stuff below that, including "junior" examples in the Maplin price bracket; I assume they stock those as "bait" in the hope of attracting future black foxes...

YES I can see where your coming from ,but also be aware that it can be a dangerous hobby ,I presume you will be there while he is searching so things to watch out for are metal tops of broken bottles with the glass still intact ,lots of lead in these islands of ours very toxic the older it gets (goes white with age), discarded knifes ,live ammunition often unstable ,and one of my first finds about 45 years ago was a live hand grenade ,the look on the coppers face when I dropped it on his desk was unforgettable .heard it being exploded in Windsor barracks a hour later .think hard before spending a machine that finds iron will also find all of the above, the expensive machines discriminate them out to a degree

Now that's the sort of useful info you never see being talked about detectoring, news stories are all lost wedding rings and treasure.
Would you say the risks are such that you wouldn't recommend a six year old child get into this, or would stout gloves and parental supervision, be fine?
I assume the stuff you've listed is stuff you've dug up?
Is it experience in interpreting what a good detector tells you that warns you, or are high-end detectors good enough to identify bad stuff now?

oh yes indeed found all of them over the years ,and yes the higher end machines will discriminate the different metals to a fair degree of certainty ,each metal has a different tone and/or i.d number if your using a digital machine .put it this way I used to buy 2 or 3 new machines a year to keep ahead of the crowd at anywhere between £800 to £1500 a time if the machine hadn't payed for itself within 3 months it was sold on .at the time I was working the twilight shift so it was out searching as soon as I awoke ,my job as a taxi driver also entailed contact with lots of farmers so I had permission to search thousands of acres of land easily and the majority of the farmers were not in the least interested in the finds or there value unless it ran into thousands of pounds .
there are lots of rallies held all over the country by clubs etc where for a fee you can search to your hearts content and sometimes get lucky or break even on the expenses ,although I believe these days its harder to sell your finds on as the government has clamped down on it .I'm about ten years out of the game now due to a serious accident stopping me in my tracks .but I still retain a healthy interest in what goes on .

if it was my six year old I would advise waiting till he is in his teens .and would only advise going with someone experienced ,i.e if by sods law and luck he found for the sake of argument something of real historical value would you know how to handle it ,who to report it to etc I have seen to many artefacts ruined over the years by ignorance on the finders part .

let me also relate to someone who many years ago found whilst detecting a gold encrusted jewel that turned out to be from the hat of Henry the 8th ,i.d from paintings of the period ,he found it on council owned land but realising the value he then claimed to have found it on a farm he had permission on a few hundred miles away ,so when submitted to the treasure process they evaluated the soil remains and worked out it could not have been found where claimed ,the finder decided to fight it in court and lost and it cost him his house due to losing and court costs etc .the jewel was featured in a t.v program telling the story and was shown on display in guilford museum ? or near there .funnily enough it was stolen a few weeks later .dont know if its ever showed up again but who knows .

what I'm trying to put across is the fact its a cut throat game as there can be big money at stake with lots of "characters" involved, personally I have been threatened in the field a few times by others who want the finds for themselves .and I'm 6'1" and built like the proverbial brick outhouse

Out of interest, has said son expressed an interest in metal detecting,?
No he hasn't got a clue what metal detecting is. I'm sure he'll get excited though at the thought of finding cool stuff. I'll just have to manage his expectations or head out the night before to bury cool stuff !!!

I will be with him at all times Jeff. I will try to ensure he doesn’t get hurt. He’s a hardy wee soul but I think a grenade might just be his limit. Thanks for the advice though.

No problem .i would advise getting hold of current editions of treasure hunting and the searcher magazines to give you a better insight into things .w.h smiths usually stock them .in fact my first paid photo sale was to whites metal detectors in California of a gold George 2nd guiniea I found with one of there machines ,a pic and a few lines earned me $500 dollars .
And that must have been err a long time ago LOL

Back