Recommend me a "Pick Pocket Proof" shoulder bag

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
My present camera bags are all Flipside backpacks which I really like and are ( fortunately) pretty secure against potential thieves with the access zip being located against the wearers back.

Nonetheless I have fairly recently had someone make an attempt at opening the small side pocket ( I usually leave it empty or at most, use it for cleaning cloth) and no doubt the attempt would have been made to the main compartment had it been more accessible.

I am now finding myself taking a camera out with just the one attached lens, thus more often than not I have no need for a rucksack, even carrying the size of the flipside 200 is proving to be unnecessary so I'm looking for something smaller and I think a small shoulder bag will prove more beneficial.

It will only be carrying one camera** along with a couple of rolls of film so doesn't need to be large.

Rolleicord VA

Fuji XE-1 with 18-55 lens

Leica M-4 with 135mm lens

Make is of no importance tbh but it does need to be secure.

Budget.....Cheap or expensive, I'm open to suggestions.

Second hand is fine.

I have been considering the Lowepro Nova 1 AW as it has both a zip fastening and a buckle closer for the main compartment as well as being dirt cheap.

What do you guys suggest??

I don’t know of any completely secure ones but maybe find one with a dual zip and then use a case padlock like you would on a suitcase?

I don’t tend to use a bag, just have my camera on a sling strap but I do have a lowepro shoulder bag that fastens with both a buckle and pretty strong noisy Velcro, you definitely hear the bag being opened.

maybe find one with a dual zip and then use a case padlock like you would on a suitcase?

The village where I live isn't the problem, it's when I go to the great metropolis.

If I go for a purpose shoot then not unlike yourself I have the camera strapped to me in some way ( wrist starp / sling strap etc).
However I often have other affairs to deal with when there ( hence my usual reason for going) thus there are periods of the day where carrying a camera in hand , isn't always practical, so it goes in a bag / rucksack.

What you propose is one option to consider….Thanks!(y)

I`ve got a little stealth reporter in the for sale section, if it`s of any interest to you :)

Put some mouse traps in empty pocket

Most 'secure' bags seem to focus on being cut proof. Personally I carry my walk-round kit in a cheap pack that doesn't look like a camera bag but has after market internal protective cushioning and I carry it so it's towards the front of my body and under my arm.

Unfortunately, if 'they' want it, 'they'll' get it, so the aim is to make you a more difficult target. And try not to look like a tourist!

Last edited:
I don’t know of any completely secure ones but maybe find one with a dual zip and then use a case padlock like you would on a suitcase?

I don’t tend to use a bag, just have my camera on a sling strap but I do have a lowepro shoulder bag that fastens with both a buckle and pretty strong noisy Velcro, you definitely hear the bag being opened.
They poke a biro through the zip and it's open, locking it wont even slow them down

Perhaps a ferret in the bag? A neighbour claimed his brother had left his pet on guard during a visit to London and a thief had to be taken to hospital after pushing his hand into the bag. I give no warranties as to the truth of this tale but having met a few ferrets it sounds believable. :exit:

I have a Lowepro Flipside (not the current model) Brilliant! Great quality and it has a drinks pouch one side, a small zipped compartment the other (ony big enough for a couple of batteries, memory cards, keys, cloth, etc...). The main compartment cannot be accessed while wearing as the opening sits against your back. Opens up and has a compartment for small bits too

This one (mine may be the 200, cant remember) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-...299900?hash=item2ce64bf9fc:g:hTAAAOSwHOtceDie

I have a Lowepro Flipside (not the current model) Brilliant! Great quality and it has a drinks pouch one side, a small zipped compartment the other (ony big enough for a couple of batteries, memory cards, keys, cloth, etc...). The main compartment cannot be accessed while wearing as the opening sits against your back. Opens up and has a compartment for small bits too

This one (mine may be the 200, cant remember) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-...299900?hash=item2ce64bf9fc:g:hTAAAOSwHOtceDie
Did you read post one? ;)

Last edited:
I use this Manfrotto bag. The non-camera pockets/compartments would be accessible, but the compartment that is home to my camera and lenses is only accessible from the back-facing side which means it can only be access when off.

I know you said you would prefer a should type bag, but I have no recommendations there I'm afraid. Though it is fairly small and lightweight.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-nx-csc-backpack-grey-1637305/

Wotancraft Ryker.

Nothing is 100% proof but once you close the lid and tuck it under the front leather strap, and zipped shut the top lid. If you arrange the dividers insider as another flap. They will have to do quite a lot to get inside. You should will feel it, if you don't then the bigger problem is not the bag.

Plus it doesn't look like a camera bag, there are no branding on the front, there are nothing equipment-esq looking about it.

X6tDWwi.jpg

mzCX0jA.jpg

IVmSafA.jpg

Last edited:
I have attached super strong Velcro on my city travel bag, no way anyone is getting that flap open without me knowing.
When I don't want it so secure I just put a bit of the fluffy Velcro on it so they won't stick to each other.
Its this Velcro https://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Strength-Velcro-Heavy-Duty-Adhesive/dp/B01M7P18HP
The adhesive is very strong, but I added Araldite to make sure it stays put.
Its only a cheapo Tenba Cooper clone, so not much bothered what the finished job looks like (wouldn't if it was a dearer bag either come to think of it)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DSLR-Sho...83.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Last edited:
They poke a biro through the zip and it's open, locking it wont even slow them down
What literally through the teeth of the zip itself? Thanks for the heads up (y)

Das strumpfhosenvideo ist kaputt or words to that effect

Last edited:
Check out the Peak Design range - something like the Every day sling. The pull tabs on the zips ‘unbutton’ and can be looped securely around an anchor point in the bag which prevents it from being pulled open. It’s not infallible, but you’d definitely notice someone trying to undo one whilst wearing it. The product videos on their site explain it much better than I have!

I carry my walk-round kit in a cheap pack that doesn't look like a camera bag

I agree that this helps in so far of making it less obvious that one is carrying photo gear but unfortunatley just about all bags and pockets are vulnerable as the pickpockets know that most folk have a mobile phone, wallet or purse on their person, be it in a bag or pocket.

If I'm not carrying camera fear, I have small lightweight cotton back packs that close with a draw cord ( which is itself the shoulder starps) thus nigh on impossible to be opened without me knowing ( obviously it can be cut into!)
Ideal for lightweight stuff like fone etc but impractical for a camera.

Perhaps a ferret in the bag? A neighbour claimed his brother had left his pet on guard during a visit to London and a thief had to be taken to hospital after pushing his hand into the bag. I give no warranties as to the truth of this tale but having met a few ferrets it sounds believable. :exit:

It probably is true tbh .
I used to live in Yorkshire and knew several people with ferrets!

I'm not sure about having one in close contact with my gear though!! lol

I wasn't aware of this but, yes, thinking about it, it is a very easy way to gain access.

The description says it has internal attachments. Maybe you could do that with any bag if there’s only one camera — fix a snap clip inside and clip the strap to it when you put the camera in.
I have attached super strong Velcro on my city travel bag, no way anyone is getting that flap open without me knowing.
When I don't want it so secure I just put a bit of the fluffy Velcro on it so they won't stick to each other.
Its this Velcro https://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Strength-Velcro-Heavy-Duty-Adhesive/dp/B01M7P18HP
The adhesive is very strong, but I added Araldite to make sure it stays put.
Its only a cheapo Tenba Cooper clone, so not much bothered what the finished job looks like (wouldn't if it was a dearer bag either come to think of it)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DSLR-Sho...83.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Using a mix of ^^these^^ ideas, I'm going to pick up a shoulder bag like the Nova 1 that I mentioned in my opening post and then add some "security features" such as a "snap clip" as mentioned by @sphexx and velcro as mentioned by @tijuana taxi

Something else that has come to mind, and indeed that I've seen people do on bright sunny dry days and often wondered why, is to wrap the incorporated rain cover over the bag when immediate access isn't required.

Thank you to all who responded and offered advice and ideas.(y)

BTW I’ve used that heavy duty Velcro recommended earlier and it’s fearsomely strong. I used it to fix two wooden surfaces together, about 2 foot long. Recently when I needed to separate them I had to wiggle a series of table knives between the Velcro to separate the loop and hook, took ages to do. I guess it would be easier to separate on flexible surfaces.

BTW I’ve used that heavy duty Velcro recommended earlier and it’s fearsomely strong. I used it to fix two wooden surfaces together, about 2 foot long. Recently when I needed to separate them I had to wiggle a series of table knives between the Velcro to separate the loop and hook, took ages to do. I guess it would be easier to separate on flexible surfaces.

I used it originally to fit the rails of a fly screen to a upvc window and yes it takes some prising apart.
You are correct about it being easier to separate on something like the flap of a camera bag, still sticks firmly though
There again that's the whole point of it and the small piece of the softer velcro works a treat to stop it sticking when you don't need it

Velcro has the added advantage of being a bit noisy when you open it, especially the strong stuff.

I managed to lose a camera out of a hip slung Crumpler toploader-style in China a few years back. While you probably couldn't identify a LESS protected bag than a topload crumpler, I've not found any perfect solution especially as I like to travel relatively light (using m43). My current approach is to:

- swap memory cards often and backup at the end of each day. The one thing I really couldn't replace after the theft were the images.
- Use neoprene wraps in a standard backpack. That does leave the bag vulnerable to cutting, but isn't a clear target

I also use a paracord wrist strap to carry the camera, not a neck strap.

Back