Recommend me a strap

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a bit fed up of the standard strap that came with my 80d, I don't particularly like wearing it around my neck in a normal tourist style, especially when it bounces everywhere when you walk. Also when I have my 100-400 lens on, the strap doesn't really work as the camera is so unbalanced.

So what would you recommend or do you find most comfortable?

Thanks

Ed.

I've got the spider holster which fits round my waist. This is the best solution I've found. Sure, the camera does occasionally still get in the way, but it takes all weight off my back and as long as you remain aware of the fact that there's a camera dangling by your side then it should be safe enough.

It works for me having two wee ones who want picked up all the time, so having the camera out of way of my chest is ideal!

I use a long Optech strap with my 7D2 and 100-400ii. The camera sits on or behind my hip and I barely notice it is there.

The biggest plus point for me when it comes to the Peak Design sling/strap thingy is the fact that you can remove it and fit it in seconds. Very useful - you can very quickly disconnect and keep the strap out of the way when working on a tripod for landscapes or monopod for sports.

Alan

I'm a leatherworker (too many hobbies) would peeps wear a leather camera strap? What would you look for in a bespoke strap?

That's handy to know - duly noted ;) But they are lots of people already doing this if you google around.

The biggest plus point for me when it comes to the Peak Design sling/strap thingy is the fact that you can remove it and fit it in seconds. Very useful - you can very quickly disconnect and keep the strap out of the way when working on a tripod for landscapes or monopod for sports.

Alan

Yes, Peak design has the best QR system with their Anchor links. I have them on cameras, bigger lenses, and tripods too.

I prefer the minimalist PD Leash to the comfy but bulky Slide. Black Rapid also good.

Oh I know. But there don't seem to be many good leather commercial offerings and I wondered why.

Leather is actually not the best material and it's obviously expensive with hand-crafting on top - but it is nice (y) I'm personally not that keen on a lot of the leather offerings that are mostly just strips cut from thick hide with cumbersome antiqued brass fittings riveted on. If you could come up with something a little more sophisticated yet affordable with bespoke options, you could well attract a few buyers. Can't see you getting rich on it tho ;)

ps You wouldn't be the first, but I'd start with these PD Anchor Links https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/anchor-links

I use a black rapid double strap, and when I only have one camera with me I hook the other side to my belt loop on my jeans so that it holds it steady and spreads the load. It can be split apart into two separate straps, which I used to do before buying my good lady her own strap (Black Rapid)

Leather is actually not the best material and it's obviously expensive with hand-crafting on top - but it is nice (y) I'm personally not that keen on a lot of the leather offerings that are mostly just strips cut from thick hide with cumbersome antiqued brass fittings riveted on. If you could come up with something a little more sophisticated yet affordable with bespoke options, you could well attract a few buyers. Can't see you getting rich on it tho ;)

ps You wouldn't be the first, but I'd start with these PD Anchor Links https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/anchor-links

Leatherwork is a hobby which essentially pays for it's own tools and materials but nothing else. First thing I'll do is make my own strap and learn through that. But wanted to know if there's any do's/don'ts for straps or missing features that people wonder "why doesn't it do that". e.g. My camera bag has it's own strap, my camera also has a strap - why can't the camera strap double as the bag strap...

Leatherwork is a hobby which essentially pays for it's own tools and materials but nothing else. First thing I'll do is make my own strap and learn through that. But wanted to know if there's any do's/don'ts for straps or missing features that people wonder "why doesn't it do that". e.g. My camera bag has it's own strap, my camera also has a strap - why can't the camera strap double as the bag strap...

Well, load primarily. Camera bags can get very heavy, though you could sometimes get around that with a shoulder pad on a lighter strap. As mentioned above, I have a couple of the PD Leash straps, (sometimes used two at a time simply crossed over either shoulder) for cameras, big lenses and tripods. The key to that is those Anchors, plus a couple of Billingham detachable shoulder pads of different widths.

Camera straps have changed a lot in the last few years, with lots of variety from simple neck straps and wrist straps, in fancy leather and colours, to slings and dual harnesses, camera upside-down or not, grippy shoulder pads or sliding, or a combination of a grippy pad with a sliding strap on top (which is what I use). And so it goes on and on, with a lot of personal preference involved.

Edit: I'd say design and functionality was the most important thing, before choice of material. Cost is obviously important, but people will pay up to three figures. I'd happily pay that for the perfect strap, though I've not found it yet!

Last edited:
Some of the images, at least for the 1st link show one strap attached to the tripod mount point. I've read elsewhere that this is not advised, because the tripod mount is not designed for this role, and can lead to strap breaks.

Can someone please clarify, as I am also currently looking for a more comfortable, robust strap set up for my 80D+100-400.

Some of the images, at least for the 1st link show one strap attached to the tripod mount point. I've read elsewhere that this is not advised, because the tripod mount is not designed for this role, and can lead to strap breaks.

Can someone please clarify, as I am also currently looking for a more comfortable, robust strap set up for my 80D+100-400.

I've never heard that before, I've always read that for bigger lenses you should use the tripod mount to even the load out and not put as much stress on the lens mount.

I use a combination of the slide, the clutch and capture, love the peak designs kit

I use a Black Rapid (sling) when I carry my 80d and 70-300L at motor racing events.
Day to day - and with a lighter lens - i have an Optech wrist strap permanently attached (removed when I use the Black Rapid).
I gave up using the standard neck straps years ago and would never go back to using one.
I previously had an Optech sling strap which I also found excellent. Now passed on to my brother and still in use.

I've got the Peak designs slide, because I can quickly attach and detach it, because I also have the clutch, the hand strap. I picked the slide because it's long and goes diagonally across my body, so doesn't bounce as much, doesn't drop off the shoulder or cause me backache like the normal strap did after a few hours.

I find the Peak Slide a bit on the bulky side, the Leash is narrower but not sure about the comfort but may give it a try. That said I find their stuff to be secure and reliable and I love the quick release system. I also have the cuff which is great for walkabout.

Last edited:
I use black rapid cross shot. By far my favourite of many straps!!

Peak Design Slide for me too: got one a couple of months ago based on recommendations here. A bit pricey but an excellent design, very well finished. Does exactly what you need and doesn't swing about unnecessarily when slung around your side/back. Have combined in with a B-Grip Evo belt and clip for my second camera, as it was a cheaper option than Peak Design's Capture belt clip, which seems a little overpriced to me.

I find the Peak Slide a bit on the bulky side, the Leash is narrower but not sure about the comfort but may give it a try. That said I find their stuff to be secure and reliable and I love the quick release system. I also have the cuff which is great for walkabout.

That`s what I found, sold the slide and now use leash with a shoulder pad from an old bag, need to tweak it a bit as pad slides too easily on strap. Depends how much weight is hanging off the end as well though.

For years I've used polypropylene baler twine which can be gleaned from the hedges and gateways of farming areas. It comes in various colours and is free. Most appropriate perhaps for those who photograph rural scenes.

Ok so I've just bought the Slide Lite for my mirrorless and I'm very pleased with it. One thing I will note is that it's not for the tall people. I'm about 5'10/11 so not what I would consider tall and at its longest the camera sits just below my waist and. Now I know some people may prefer it shorter and just above the "cheek" but I am planning on using it with the Capture so when I'm wandering I can clip it in so it doesn't bounce about (one thing I hated about my BR

Ok so I've just bought the Slide Lite for my mirrorless and I'm very pleased with it. One thing I will note is that it's not for the tall people. I'm about 5'10/11 so not what I would consider tall and at its longest the camera sits just below my waist and. Now I know some people may prefer it shorter and just above the "cheek" but I am planning on using it with the Capture so when I'm wandering I can clip it in so it doesn't bounce about (one thing I hated about my BR

With the slide I just slip it around to behind my hip and tighten the straps and it doesn't bounce anyway tbh. Although that's with a DSLR and not a mirrorless, so the extra weight may help

Back