Recommend me a useful piece of kit (£50)

Edit My Images
Yes
So my oh wants to get me a little extra something for Christmas

I said the only thing I really have / enjoy is my camera

But I can't for the life of me think of something I need / want..,.. But to be fair I am not very knowledgable as far as kit goes .... So there might be something out there that would be extreme handy and useful to me , but I don't know what it is !

I have a limit of £50 and second hand is fine with me

I do mostly animal photography , indoor and outdoor , small subjects that would fit into your palm up to equines and large animals

Current kit includes;

Canon 40d
18-55
55-250
Canon flashgun, bracket & wireless receiver etc & diffuser
Various sky / uv / macro filters

2x pop up lastolite backdrops
Small studio light tent for small subjects
Tripod

Battery grip

Remote release

That's about it.....

Any suggestions ?

What would cone in handy

I've only just got the backgrounds as I want to try my hands at portraiture

Last edited:
No...Landscapes aren't something I do
...doesn't interest me in the slightest I'm afraid, no offence to those who love it, just not my cup of tea

Have you got any software? Lightroom 4 can be had used for around £35-45.

Maybe a 50mm f/1.8, good for outside portraits.

No I don't have a reflector

I have cs5.1 and Lightroom

I considered a 50mm 1.8 but was told it's not a necessity as I have the 18-55 which is a good lens for portraits ....

How would I use the reflector ? I only have my flashgun, on a bracket
That wasn't as sarcastic as it came out
Sorry

I was serious, I'm not sure how to use a reflector to be honest , only just started with portraiture and not sure on even the basics

Bag to carry it all in, monitor calibrator?

How about voucher towards a training course or a day out to a wildlife park or zoo to indulge in animal photography. I did a photography course at Twycross zoo a couple of years ago

Bag to carry it all in, monitor calibrator?

Hmm no need for a calibrator until I get a decent laptop

Bags not really essential... I have one to carry my camera and lenses , bit the studio kit rarely leaves the house

I'm investing in a large storage box to
Keep stuff in neatly out if the wish when not In use

How about voucher towards a training course or a day out to a wildlife park or zoo to indulge in animal photography. I did a photography course at Twycross zoo a couple of years ago

My first thought was a photography course, but she'd rather get something that can be wrapped if you know what I mean :)

Have you got any software? Lightroom 4 can be had used for around £35-45.

Maybe a 50mm f/1.8, good for outside portraits.

I'd probably 2nd a 50mm F1.8 lens,

A few other suggestions - reflector as above, sensor cleaning kit, new bag or lens case, Monopod ?

I considered a 50mm 1.8 but was told it's not a necessity as I have the 18-55 which is a good lens for portraits ....

The 50mm is a F1.8 rather than the F3.5-4.5 (I think it is) of the 18-55 kit lens. Yes you have the focal range covered, but the 50mm F1.8 will open a world of different photography with depth of field, low light possibilities etc. Also, consider as the 50mm is a prime, it can make to look at your photography differently - you don't have the zoom function to adjust in and out - you either move your feet or compose the image with the focal range you have. I found it quite enlightening when I first bought a prime...

a small cheap led ring flash... thought they are £30ish & a 5 in 1 reflector.

No I don't have a reflector

I have cs5.1 and Lightroom

Not sure who told you that?? I use a 50mm f1.4 / 85mm f1.4 and a 70-200mm f2.8 for portraits and find the 50mm is great for head shots giving an excellent shallow dof @ f1.4

Get yourself a 50mm- failing that a circular 5 way reflector is a good piece of kit and not too expensive

link-http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Phot...UTF8&qid=1386586775&sr=1-3&keywords=reflector

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I appreciate film is an integral part of photography , and led us all to where we are now.... It's not something I have an interest in pursuing

But thank you for the suggestion

Peak Design Camera Capture Clip. I'm getting one for Christmas on a similar budget, they look ace (I hate using neck straps).
Looks like a good concept , but I'm happy with a neck strap :)

You say small subjects that would fit in the palm, how about some second hand extension tubes to convert your existing lens to macro, you could in close to those little animals then!
Mine have electric contacts and were £20 off ebay, I love them.

Or, what about a second flash unit, two is sometimes better than one and would enable you to try out different things.

Other than that, a 50mm 1.8 or a 5 in one reflector as suggested

Why a second hand flash, you could get some brand new Yongnuos for that price.

And some blackwrap.

Some steel wool, a whisk and a dog lead. (and a box of matches)

Some LED fairy lights.

Having had both the kit 18-55 and the f/1.8 50mm on the same body (550D) I can definitely say that the wider aperture of the 50 is transformational in what you can do with it.

Looking at what you do, and what you've got, in your position, a pre-loved nifty fifty would be where my money's going.

Why a second hand flash, you could get some brand new Yongnuos for that price.

And some blackwrap.

Some steel wool, a whisk and a dog lead. (and a box of matches)

Some LED fairy lights.
Second, not second hand!

The lights are a good idea, plenty on here with bags full of lighting fun!

You sure that's not a fetish set up there :-/

:LOL: The mental image that's just conjured up !!!

I'd second the suggestion of the 50mm, just for the low light capability if you're doing any animal shots in natural light outdoors.
Or possibly look at a Raynox macro attachment if small bugs, little creatures and general wildlife is something you enjoy - that would probably leave you with enough for a 5-in-1 reflector too.

I do mostly animal photography , indoor
small subjects that would fit into your palm

Canon flashgun, bracket & wireless receiver etc & diffuser
Various sky / uv / macro filters

2x pop up lastolite backdrops
Small studio light tent for small subjects
Tripod
Remote release

I've only just got the backgrounds as I want to try my hands at portraiture

read this...

http://ringlightphotography.com/the-benefits-of-ring-flash/

& will work perfectly with your current setup...

Back