Recommend me Bags for studio strobes

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
Hoping to look at some transport/storage bags for 2 Lencarta Superfast heads while at the Photo Show. I am seeking a budget end bag. I am thinking maybe a 2 head bag as any bigger might be unwieldy for me to manage?

In the meantime, can anyone recommend what to look for and what to avoid in a bag? Or suggest specific bags so I can do some prior research.?

Thanks for ideas.

Lencarta have a new one (not seen it in person)

I've got a Bowens one I don't like, I've never really seen one I do like. :(

Reactions: TG.
Hoping to look at some transport/storage bags for 2 Lencarta Superfast heads while at the Photo Show. I am seeking a budget end bag. I am thinking maybe a 2 head bag as any bigger might be unwieldy for me to manage?

You're right about three head bags, when you put a third head into a bag it magically quadruples in weight and the 50% extra length means you have to pay attention when you're swinging them around while a two head bag is usually easy to stick on your shoulder etc. If you're humping equipment far you'll want to make sure it has a decent shoulder strap, maybe I need to do more push ups but I find it a world of difference when carrying equipment on my shoulder versus hands.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend what to look for and what to avoid in a bag? Or suggest specific bags so I can do some prior research.?

What to avoid? Hrmm... avoid brand names, this applies more to stand bags but you can easily pay a lot for an expensive brand and it turns out it's just a rebadged generic bag which isn't very good.

It's more a question of asking what you need out of the bag, do you just want somewhere to store the heads and be lightweight? Then you want a fabric bag like the Elinchrom soft location bag. Do you want something that's still relatively light but offers decent protection? Then you'll want a padded case like the Latigid LA1, Lightware PK1200 etc. Do you want maximum protection at the cost of weight and expense? Then you can look to hard cases or flight cases.

There's a Prolinca 2 head bag on eBay, that should sell dirt cheap and it's exactly the same as the Elinchrom version (just different colours). Buying new there's a fair few different choices and I'm struggling to think of them off the top of my head, Latigid LA1, Elinchrom ProTec Poly bag, Strobeam 3 head bag (viewfinder photography), Lightware PK1200 etc.

Just a thought - Profoto does a very nice backpack for the hefty twin-head B1 location kit. Works well. It's an over-branded Tenba or Tamrac, I'm not sure which, possibly with some custom dividers. There are some good, big Lowepro backpacks on ebay for not much money (clones, I think) that would do the job.

I use a four wheel suitcase and chuck the lights in padded divider pocket things that you can get in all sorts of sizes for a few quid.

I have two Godox AD600 units plus remote heads, and an AD360 + power pack and a few super clamps. Pretty compact and easy to get about with (not great if you're hiking across grass or sand often though).

Last edited:
Most of the seem to be a large open space.

Mines compartmentalised but there's nowhere for triggers and assorted other crap, it just holds 2 lights and stands. So I've ended up with another large bag for other grip kit, which also has another small bag inside for 'bits and bobs'.

Neither of them can hold my:
Beauty dish (in a drum bag)
Collapsible BD (the bag for which does take my AD360 :)
Large Octa
Large reflector

I think separate bags is the way to go anyway. I used to use a big Bowens thing that held monoblocks, reflectors, stands... pain in the arse. Long and thin on two wheels means it's unstable, and it's just awkward to shift upstairs, etc.

A few smaller bags go in and out the car easier too.
Sounds like mine. :(

I think separate bags is the way to go anyway. I used to use a big Bowens thing that held monoblocks, reflectors, stands... pain in the arse. Long and thin on two wheels means it's unstable, and it's just awkward to shift upstairs, etc.

The grey/black 2 head kit bag Bowens used to sell was terri-bad for balance, the little wheels just meant the damn thing would bounce around while you're trying to move (I lugged two of those guys 5 miles across an uneven surface once, I was not a happy bunny by the end).

It's not all bad news though, the newer Bowens Traveller case balances pretty well or if you can find them the old 2 head and 3 head cases with a separate trolley balance really well.

All those whole kit bags are a pain to lug up stairs and awkward spaces but makes a lot of sense if you need to move everything at once, hopefully the op knows which type they'd prefer.

Lencarta have a new one (not seen it in person)

I've got a Bowens one I don't like, I've never really seen one I do like. :(
The new Lencarta stand bags are specially designed for the job and are excellent IMO
I agree that most bags for flash heads are far from perfect, the ones big enough to take everything are just too big and heavy. And it's very expensive to design bags for the purpose, given the very small demand for them, which means that the bags that are sold for the job (or at least the ones I've seen) are in reality just ordinary bags for carting luggage around.

Personally I'm never satisfied unless my kit is properly cosseted in a decent flight case.

never going to be an easily transportable option as a soft shoulder bag, but a small folding sack truck makes that easy if you need to move it over a distance, or I have another even larger wheeled one. If I didn't already have these cases to hand, then I'd probably look to invest in some wheeled Peli cases.

Paul

I use hard cases with foam inserts.
They fit two smartflash heads with cables and triggers or an ad600 with remote head, triggers etc.

I have the old lencarta bag but I think they stopped making it. It's decent though and I can get 3 heads in it, 2 reflectors and all my cables and triggers. It's heavy though when loaded up! But as I only use it to store the gear in the house it's not so important. If I was taking stuff out and about I'd want something with wheels.

I have the old lencarta bag but I think they stopped making it. It's decent though and I can get 3 heads in it, 2 reflectors and all my cables and triggers. It's heavy though when loaded up! But as I only use it to store the gear in the house it's not so important. If I was taking stuff out and about I'd want something with wheels.

I have the same ones, had them for years now, fit 3 heads in one, and another head in the other with some reflectors and some cables and bits and bobs, but like you say I'm sure there discontinued.

I use hard cases with foam inserts.
They fit two smartflash heads with cables and triggers or an ad600 with remote head, triggers etc.

Hi All...I'm currently also use a wheeled suitcase and have my heads wrapped in think towels/blankets. Not ideal by any means and I'd be very interested to learn where i might be able to source some pluck foam padding to mold some custom internal protection for my 3 Lencarta heads? The foam I have found just doesn't come in blocks large enough for the case and combining smaller blocks makes things messy and obviously doesn't stay in place as well as one large insert would be. Anyone have a source for a larger block of pluck foam approximately 60x40x35cm?

Hi All...I'm currently also use a wheeled suitcase and have my heads wrapped in think towels/blankets. Not ideal by any means and I'd be very interested to learn where i might be able to source some pluck foam padding to mold some custom internal protection for my 3 Lencarta heads? The foam I have found just doesn't come in blocks large enough for the case and combining smaller blocks makes things messy and obviously doesn't stay in place as well as one large insert would be. Anyone have a source for a larger block of pluck foam approximately 60x40x35cm?

TBH I feel that using pick & pluck foam for this type of large item is a waste on money as you're discarding most of what you've bought! in the picture I posted above, those dividers are made of hardboard cut to fit and covered in high density foam - the foam is a mattress role (for putting under sleeping bags) available from any camping shop for next to nothing. Does require a bit of work though...

Paul

How about a couple of http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/?gclid=CIGSz-rslNICFU6T7QodoBgCGA of a suitable size with some DIY padding.

As for foam, if you have a local market try looking there ... several stalls at markets around here sell it.

Tupperware?! Uncool and far too sensible :D

But seriously, a very good suggestion. I've seen them with handles and little wheels for not much money too. In the same kinda vein, rolling tool cases often catch my eye in B&Q - great for heavy stuff (y)

I actually use the Tupperware type boxes for bits and bobs like brackets and leads and gaffer tape and other bits, nice and easy to get at in them, not sure if I would use them for lights though, they can have a tendency to open randomly whilst driving to and from places.

Personally I'm never satisfied unless my kit is properly cosseted in a decent flight case.

never going to be an easily transportable option as a soft shoulder bag, but a small folding sack truck makes that easy if you need to move it over a distance, or I have another even larger wheeled one. If I didn't already have these cases to hand, then I'd probably look to invest in some wheeled Peli cases.

Paul

That looks just the job Paul, where is it from please

That looks just the job Paul, where is it from please

That case is years is quite old and was initially sourced from Machine Mart - they no longer list it and as stated the dividers where made by myself.

If I were starting out afresh and didn't have a few cases to hand (actually have 5 alloy flight cases of various sizes, 2 wheeled 'tool trunks' and numerous fabric cases) the best bargain for rigid cases are the likes of PixaPro's rolling cases of which they have two sizes. Although I wouldn't personally buy pick-&-pluck foam to fill a case, if it already came with it....Also the Lancarta cases look rather nice (though I would like taller dividers), but I have to say I have no personal experience of either.

Paul

Back