Recommend the next Lens - canon

Edit My Images
Yes
Right for a long time I have been frustrated that I have not been getting the shots that I want, I keep looking at my photos and The thought process has been along the lines of.

"It's in focus, exposure is good, DOF is what I wanted, it's sharp where I want it to be... but it just doesn't *pop* why is it not better? "

I soon realized that It was down to my glass, for example my nifty fifty does good images, but at 55mm I was getting much better photos using my 55-250, than my 18-55 so the 55-250 has now been my carry around lens, and overall I am happier with what I am producing, but I still want to go to the next level as the 55-250 is just not ideal as a carry round lens.

I am wanting something that will work with auto focus on my 40d, does not have to go as far as my 250, ideally up to 125, but starting off a bit lower, maybe 18, 24 or 35.... so ideally I am looking for something in the 18/24 - 125/150 if such a lens exists.

Preferably fast, I need at LEAST 3.5, ideally a bit faster but not essential

I am open to any brand, not just canon so if there is a sigma / tamron etc.

BUT here's the kicker, budget is always an issue.

I will be buying preowned, so I am looking for a lens that I might be able to drop on Ideally less than £100...

anyone up to the challenge of a recommendation ?

Have a look on the-digital-picture.com for reviews/ comparisons of various lens. There are the 18-135 (I think) canon lens which would probably be within your budget second hand, or the highly recommended 15-85mm which seems to be a cracking lens but retails around £500 new. Tarmon (and probably sigma) have reasonably priced 18-200mm lens but canon have similar for a bit more money.

I assume you will have IS on your current lens and may want the same from an upgrade?

The 18-55 and 55-250 are very good lens for quality and sharpness. I think if you are rigid with your budget, you may end up disappointed. I have a 70-200L and the 55-250IS and in comparison shots, there is little if any difference, although the 70-200 is a more consistent performer.

Have a look on the-digital-picture.com for reviews/ comparisons of various lens. There are the 18-135 (I think) canon lens which would probably be within your budget second hand, or the highly recommended 15-85mm which seems to be a cracking lens but retails around £500 new. Tarmon (and probably sigma) have reasonably priced 18-200mm lens but canon have similar for a bit more money.

I assume you will have IS on your current lens and may want the same from an upgrade?

The 18-55 and 55-250 are very good lens for quality and sharpness. I think if you are rigid with your budget, you may end up disappointed. I have a 70-200L and the 55-250IS and in comparison shots, there is little if any difference, although the 70-200 is a more consistent performer.

Ideally would like IS yes but it's not essential...

The 70-200 would be no good for me, I need something with a lower range.

The canon 15-85 sounds promising, as does the tamron / sigma 18-200

I will have a look into those, thank you :)

Have a look here

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/18/old...sharp-canons-best-lenses-you-dont-know-about/

I had the 28-80 lens and it was very good (especially for the money), but you would want the Mk1 version, metal bodied, as the quality got worse as it went through various revamps. I sold mine recently for £75 so it's in your budget. Using older lenses you won't get many zooms below 28mm, as that was considered wide angle back in the days of film 35mm cameras. If you are on a crop sensor then the 28mm will be just over 40mm, so not that wide.

If you are on a crop sensor, then getting a Tamron or Sigma 18-something might be a better bet, read the online reviews to find a golden oldie, that will meet your budget.

You need the EFS 18-135mm STM IS its a cracker of a lens far far better than the standard 18-135mm I've used it for a couple of years, the wife now has it on her 60D The 15-85mm is even better thats my walk about lens now Both are a significant improvement in colour and detail the latter being absolutely pin sharp

Last edited:
A nice lens I have is the 28-105mm USM ii worth a look and easily less than £100 and works on FF it's not amazing quality but certainly better than the kit lens your supplied with. It does vignette badly on FF but as your using a crop it should be fine, also a worthy mention has to be given to the 40mm STM pancake lens if you fancied a prime, as that's razor sharp even at f2.8 I think there is even a 24mm pancake for crop sensors, hope that helps

.... so ideally I am looking for something in the 18/24 - 125/150 if such a lens exists.

Preferably fast, I need at LEAST 3.5, ideally a bit faster but not essential
It doesn't matter about budget. There is no such lens that fits your requirements.

Most the lenses which people have mentioned so far (15-85, 18-200, 18-135, 28-80, etc) and lenses like them are slow zooms. They might be f/3.5 at the wide end, but they'll be f/5.6 by the time they get anywhere near the long end.

Fast zooms are professional zooms and they don't have big zoom ranges in order to avoid compromising image quality too far. For example consider the popular Canon 24-105. It's f/4 throughout, but it's zoom range is only 4.4x. Professional f/2.8 zooms typically have a range which is only about 3x.

You want a fast zoom with a range which is at least 5x and preferably up to 8x... it isn't going to happen.

So I suggest you review your requirements, have another go at working out what you need, and come back to us.

It doesn't matter about budget. There is no such lens that fits your requirements.

Most the lenses which people have mentioned so far (15-85, 18-200, 18-135, 28-80, etc) and lenses like them are slow zooms. They might be f/3.5 at the wide end, but they'll be f/5.6 by the time they get anywhere near the long end.

Fast zooms are professional zooms and they don't have big zoom ranges in order to avoid compromising image quality too far. For example consider the popular Canon 24-105. It's f/4 throughout, but it's zoom range is only 4.4x. Professional f/2.8 zooms typically have a range which is only about 3x.

You want a fast zoom with a range which is at least 5x and preferably up to 8x... it isn't going to happen.

So I suggest you review your requirements, have another go at working out what you need, and come back to us.

Well how about this then, I want a lens that is the same speed or faster, than a 55-250, but has a focal range starting under 55mm, so that I can photograph closer subjects.

And will produce the same quality or better images than the 55-250.

Well how about this then, I want a lens that is the same speed or faster, than a 55-250, but has a focal range starting under 55mm, so that I can photograph closer subjects.

Have a look into any of the Canon or third party (Tamron, Sigma) 18-200 type lenses, but will be f/3.5-5.6 or the Canon 24-105 which is f/4 throughout.

Ignore all of that - I didn't see your budget!

Last edited:
I believe you should buy a Tamron/Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and keep the 55-250.
You should find one (second-hand) around £150. Not £100, I know, but you would enjoy their quality.

Sorry to be the continual bearer of bad news, but I think you're still asking too much.

Fast zooms are professional lenses. Professional lenses cost serious money, even used. And professional zooms don't have the wide zoom range you want.

There are lenses out there which could complement your 55-250, if you can find a used bargain or if your budget will stretch a bit. For example Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.

But you really need to decide what's important to you. At the moment your desire for a big zoom range and a fast aperture are mutually compatible, regardless of budget.

As stated the EFS 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM and it will produce far better images, But your going to have to pay

Last edited:
The tamrom 28-75 2.8 sounds about what I'm looking for or the 18-135

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can get those for 2nd hand ?

Think I'm going to save for one of those

For a crop camera I'd save and get the canon EFS 15-85mm. wide for a crop, good walkabout lens, stunning quality.

The tamrom 28-75 2.8 sounds about what I'm looking for or the 18-135

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can get those for 2nd hand ?

Think I'm going to save for one of those

What is your location Gothgirl

Back