Recommendation -fast lens 2.8 D40x

Edit My Images
Yes
hi,

looking to spend about £500 but could go higher if need be.
I want 55-200 or 70-200 for my Nikon D40x. I was planning to buy the D300 but think now i'll spend the money on a better lens first & the good togs seem to recommend that.

I shoot mainly children- often fast moving, & am starting to do some horses- children on horses !
I'd like one that can autofocus, bearing in mind that the D40x doesnt have built in AF motor.
Or i could upgrade to D80 which does have AF motor & a new lens,

any suggestions, advice?
thanks

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8? £500 cheaper than the Nikon, and the only fundamental sacrifice is VR--I certainly couldn't tell them apart in a blind test. Can be had for under £400 if you're not against buying second hand. Super fast AF, focuses on the D40, tack sharp, lovely bokeh.

thanks for the recommendation. i bought the sigma today, 2nd hand (through a shop,6 month guarantee) but looks in good condition. its huge and heavy, cant wait to have a proper play with it.
I've taken a few today & they look fairly blurry, even with a monopod, i'm hoping its me shaking & not the lens.
any tips?

i did some at 1/200, my son sitting still & some at 1/320 running about. Iso was 400 & focal lengths using the range, they all seem not very sharp.
I had another go yesterday but havent got any pics to post up, long story, i will have another go tomorrow & if i cant get it sorted, it might go back to the shop.

i took one of my other half, not moving at 70mm 1/200 & its ok but not pin sharp, my kit lens would prob be better & thats alot cheaper.

do these lenses have a reputation for doing weird things?

Seems as though you were using speeds within the range for an handheld telephoto, so all should be OK. Big heavy lenses like the 70 - 210 however do take some getting used to hand held, and it may be that in a day or two the results will improve.

Good luck.

Simple test. Put your camera on a firm base - table for instance, on a cushion if you don't have a bean abg or anything - a rolled up sweater wil do.

Photograph something, anything with a geometric pattern on it - brick wall, stone wall, anything you like. Shoot it at various f stops very carefully. Then look at the results and see if there is an improvemnt. If there is, it was your technique. If the results are still soft, then there is something not quite right with your lens and camera set up - it could even be the viewfinder diopter has had a tweak. Try using manual focus as well on the same pattern - focus so it looks sharp t you in the veiwfinder, and then shoot. Then try autofocus on the same subject. See if there is a difference between the two.

Back