Recommendation for camera bag for 550D + few accessories

Edit My Images
No
At the moment I have a Canon 550D with the Canon 18-55mm kit lens, spare battery and a Canon 430EX II speedlite. Sometime in the near future, I may also be getting a Canon 50mm F1.8 and possibly the Canon 55-250mm.

Can anyone recommend a suitable bag to carry this equipment around in. I had a browse in Jessops and saw this which seemed ok: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/83138/show.html

Anyone know if there's something better/cheaper?

Is it worth looking for something used?

TIA

You might want to look at some of the lowepro bags, I've had two for a number of years for my cameras and cannot fault the build quality. Take a look at the lowepro website and it gives you an indication of what each one can hold based on exact camera models and lenses etc.

Yep 2nd that for lowepro I have to 350 think it is and you can pick them up on amazon for about 35-40£ some times . Well made and hold a heap of stuff

Three lenses, a body, a flash and a spare battery (or two - some for the flash as well), possibly also some cleaning kit, maybe some filters, note-book etc. At 210 x 150 x 170mm, I don't think that bag is big enough. Will the bag be used for storage and taking in the car from A to B or will it be used 'on the hoof'?

If it will be primarily for storage/car journey etc with limited walking, then you're less restricted.

If you are going to use it on the hoof, then I'd recommend a rucsac/slingshot style bag, possibly with a fast-access design. You might want to consider what else (non-photographic), if anything, that you'll be carrying too and work that into the equation.

Another option is a modular system like the LowePro/ThinkTank belt & pouch systems.

I have a LowePro Mini Trekker (bought 2nd hand off ebay - vgc and a nice bag) which holds a lot of gear for its size but is uncomfortable to carry fully loaded for any distance, a S&F belt & pouches which is extremely good for access and lens-changing but not much good for loads of gear/odds'n'sods, and then I bought a LowePro 350 Fastpack - which I now use most of the time for these reasons.

Some people don't like to advertise their kit with an obvious camera bag.

Personally (unless you will just be bunging it in the car), I think that this is something that you won't find anything of any use much cheaper unless you have seen something for less that you are absolutely sure meets your requirements - size, build-quality, ergonomics and comfort.

I think I need to do a bit more research but the Lowepro website is pretty awesome. I like the bag finder function. I did a quick search and the Lowepro Event Messenger 100 seems to be coming out top and I can buy it for around £30 which is £20 less than the Jessops one.

Bag will be used for a combination while using transport and on the hoof. I think rucksack would be easier to carry but feels less secure. Having a shoulder bag type feels more secure as it's in your eyesight and also it makes it easier to take out.

Will have to look into things a bit more. Thanks all.

Yep, just noticed that

I think I need to do a bit more research but the Lowepro website is pretty awesome. I like the bag finder function. I did a quick search and the Lowepro Event Messenger 100 seems to be coming out top and I can buy it for around £30 which is £20 less than the Jessops one.

Bag will be used for a combination while using transport and on the hoof. I think rucksack would be easier to carry but feels less secure. Having a shoulder bag type feels more secure as it's in your eyesight and also it makes it easier to take out.

Will have to look into things a bit more. Thanks all.

I'm still not convinced that the Event Messenger 100 will be big enough (when you start to get those lenses on your wish-list) either. You could always take your gear down to Jessops (or ask them to get some off the shelves) and pack a bag (remember that you will have a few other odds'n'sods such as batteries, cleaning kit etc) to see how much room you're likely to need.

In case you're wondering (and to give you an idea on size and capacity), this is the type of bag that admirable was referring to - which elsewhere on the web is described as 27.9 x 22.1 x 20.0 cm (WxHxD).

admirable said:
I have a Canon bag for sale in this thread here that would suit you fine.

Thanks. Will take a look once I get to 25 posts which should be soon.

weybourne said:
I'm still not convinced that the Event Messenger 100 will be big enough (when you start to get those lenses on your wish-list) either. You could always take your gear down to Jessops (or ask them to get some off the shelves) and pack a bag (remember that you will have a few other odds'n'sods such as batteries, cleaning kit etc) to see how much room you're likely to need.

I'm really keen to have a small bag so maybe I should get a small bag for just the main equipment camera and single lens and a separate bag for the extras. Would only take accessory bag on done occasions.

Back