Recommendation for friend who wants to do her own wedding album

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, my friend is doing the usual of hiring a wedding photographer and getting the images on a disk to save a bit of money!

She asked if I knew anywhere to get an album made!

I've had a look through previous threads but most of the best ones seem to be for professional photographers only?

Can anyone recommend someone to use?

Cheers
Lee

What is her budget and why does she not ask the photographer that took the wedding pics?

I used myphotobook in the past to create a Real-Photo Book A3 (45 x 30 cm) panoramic and the results, software and turnaround was very good.

Simple answer there is no cheap shortcut to a good quality wedding album. My Photobook and the likes are OK but that's as far as i would go with them. I used them many years ago and the service quality and product left a lot to be desired , I only deal with GraphiStudio now.

Her photographer would be able to supply a good quality one presuming he/she is a photographer, so your friend is simply trying to find a cheap way of doing something that's expensive.

All of the better books require software, experience and joining their companies to progress and those photographers who offer the standalone service will also charge extra for their time so there really isn't another answer for you sorry !

Yeah, she's using a proper photographer, but I think the quoted price for an album was a silly price!

She's not on that tight a budget and will most likely get it done in the months following her wedding.

I'm guessing places like blurb are not up to par then?

It will depend on what she has already seen , if for instance she has seen examples of Graphi Loxley Queensbury type books then Blurb may not look great, if not she might find that totally acceptable and there are some good looking cheaper books out there , the problem is that they dont tend to last long before they get tatty and the production software and cust service side can be a hassle with some of the smaller companies.

I'm with Andrew on this one. Having gone to the expense of hiring a pro to shoot the images it seems a bit short sighted to consider a low cost album. Quality books cost because they are quality and will last for generations. Cheaper books will get tatty and likely not survive too long before they look tired and she gets a little embarrassed showing it to family and friends. Just my opinion. If she really wants to go down that route then places like Aperture Books might suit. I have heard that Loxley and Sim have been known to deal direct with the public.

Here's an alternative perspective - feel free to disagree. We paid a fortune for our wedding album and it looks as good now as it did when it was delivered to us 7 years ago. And that's because we've barely looked at it in that period. I suspect that a cheaper photobook style album like one done by blurb would have aged just as well given the lack of viewings its had.

Like I say, just my own experience, feel free to disagree.

I've sent her some of the recommendations! From the ones posted and the ones open to her I think aperture books looks the best? For the price, blurb looks decent too!

Thanks everyone for your help

Just out of interest why did you go for an expensive album ?

Can't remember tbh. Probably a combination of one or all of the following:
1) my wife
2) lack of awareness of other options
3) fewer photobook options than there are now
4) less hassle to just let the photographer to sort it all out.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great, and I'm sure our daughter will love it when we show it her one day, but if we were in the same situation now, knowing what we do now, and with the options that are now available, I don't think we'd make the same choice.

I've just had two albums made through Lightroom using Blurb. These were based upon my 'snapshots' as a guest of a good friends wedding. They didn't want any presents just our presence so I did that. I ordered the premium paper and must admit that for the money they looked fantastic. I had to make two different books as the layout of the A3 album didn't really suit the A4 album....The couple and their gran are over the moon and I'm sure they are just kind friends when they say they prefer my photos to the Pro they hired.....

In short I was pleased with Blurb and wouldn't shy away from using them again....Good old Dutch printing as well :)

Back