Recommendation needed

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
It looks like the mirror damping foam on my Hasselblad 500cm needs replacing as I'm getting little black bits on the underside of the focussing screen after each shot. Can anyone recommend someone to tackle this. Cheers.

You.
It's no more difficult than wrapping a present.
Cameramill and cam-spares are two companies that sell.

http://cameramill.co.uk/shop/bumper-foam-pack/
Check Youtube on how to do it.

Whilst I'm usually happy to have a go and have changed the light seals in the backs, I found this on another forum and it rather put me off trying this myself:

"The two pieces of foam that usually deteriorate and fall apart in the Hasselblad bodies are the pieces that are glued to the top of the front plate, and the one that is glued to the front of the top plate. These two pieces of foam act as a shock absorber when the mirror flips up.

In order to replace either one of these pieces of foam, it is necessary to remove the camera from the shell, and to remove the top plate. Once this is done, access to the two pieces of foam is easy.

It would be possible for you to replace these foam pieces yourself, but you will run into two problems.

The first problem is that when you put the top plate back on, it is necessary to recalibrate the ground glass to make sure that it is at the correct height, and that the flatness is perfect. This requires special tools, which are extremely difficult to acquire.

The second problem is getting the camera back into the shell. After getting the camera almost all the way back into the shell, you must reach into the shell (through the winding crank opening) and lift up the side release arm with a spring hook. Then, you move the camera into the shell, while holding the side release arm up."

I'm surprised that it is not accessible from outside, but I can see your reticence.

Send it away for sure i would for peace of mind.

I am looking at doing the bumber foam on my RB67 soon and that looks quite easy.

Back