Recommendations for a Fast Wide Angle Lens with a Filter Thread (Canon EF)

Name
Stephen Hollingsworth
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going through a particularly bad case of G.A.S. at the moment as I've made the leap to full frame with the purchase of a Canon 6D.

Currently the only EF lens I own is a canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM but I'm pretty settled on a 24-105 f/4 L as what I'll call the workhorse lens. This should nicely replace the Canon 15-85mm EF-S I had on my old 50D.

I'd like to get a wide angle (not necessarily ultra wide) lens to complete my lens collection. I mainly do landscapes but also like to do a bit of milky way type astro shots so whatever I go for has to be at least f/2.8. My previous wide angle lens was the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ATX PRO and I can't emphasize enough how good I found this lens. It had a sharpness and a brilliance that my other lenses didn't come close to (although admittedly I haven't had that much experience with different kit). Alas the 11-16mm doesn't fit a full frame camera so it has had to go. I considered the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 ATX Pro as it looks like a full frame version of the 11-16mm but it has a bulbous front element that means you can't use a circular polarising filter and this is where I find myself a bit stumped. There seem to be plenty of affordable, fast, ultra wide lenses out there for full frame cameras but they all seem to have front elements that make it impossible to use a threaded filter and for me that rules them out. I guess this is a result of the wide angle and large aperture but to be honest for what I'm looking for I don't need to go that wide. I can't see myself often wanting to go to 14mm for example I just want the ability to go that bit wider than the 24-105 will allow me. A zoom would be nice but I'm perfectly happy to get a prime because zooming at these wide angles doesn't make a huge difference to composition in my opinion (nothing a slight crop can't do).

TL DR

Looking for recommendations for a wide angle (around 20mm-16mm) full frame canon fit (EF) lens that has a max aperture of f/2.8 and has a front element that allows a circular polarizer to be fitted (preferably 77mm filter thread). Can be a prime or zoom and any manufacturer just as long as its sharp/good image quality.

Thanks in advance for you're suggestions

So:
- focal length around 16-20mm
- f/2.8
- threaded filter, preferably 77mm

The closest match I can think of is the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8, though it has an 82mm filter thread. Still, 82 is the new 77, and if I were buying threaded filters these days I'd buy them all at 82mm and use step-up rings when needed.

The Mk III version of the 16-35 is stellar, but with a price to match, especially since you can probably only buy new. The Mk II is less stellar and less expensive, and some retailers still have new ones, though of course it's also available used.

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned the budget, sorry. I have considered the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 but that's probably at the top end of my budget of £500 max and that would have to be a used one. I have no problem with buying used. I haven't explored any of the Zeiss lenses mainly because I assume the word Zeiss = ££££s!

Have you tried your 11-16? I dont use mine much these days but it was p[perfectly usable on my full frame D750 @ 16mm

Have you tried your 11-16? I dont use mine much these days but it was p[perfectly usable on my full frame D750 @ 16mm
Good idea, though I wouldn't necessarily say it's "perfectly" usable at 16mm. There's no physical vignetting, but there is fairly significant light fall-off in the corners.

Unfortunately you don't have this option with Canon as full frame and crop cameras have different mounts. I've already sold the Tokina.

Yes I've been doing some more research and the Samyang 20mm is definitely on the list of possibles. Not much wider than the 24-105 but would be great for wide field astrophotography. They do a similar 16mm prime that would fit the bill pretty well but unfortunately its for crop sensors only.

I've spent hours searching the internet and have come to the conclusion I should wait until I get the 24-105 and see what I find I'm missing before I decide on what to go for. It'll probably be the Canon 16-35 L but I may have to save my pennies for a while.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Back