Recommendations for a Tripod

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
I am looking to sell my Manfrotto 055xproB and get something as solid but lighter, I have been looking at the carbon fibre version of this the The Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 it seems pretty solid but obviously more expensive unless I can get a decent used one, anyway can anyone come up with something similar, I am not looking for the twist locking legs either as I prefer the lever type, it will be primarily used for landscape photography whilst travelling, my preferred head is a Manfrotto 410 geared head or similar. Many thanks in advance

I personally would suggest keeping it. 410 head is heavy and it needs an even heavier tripod. Believe me it is safer for your camera this way. If you need a lighter travel alternative buy something else in addition and stick with a better balanced ball head for these rare occasions.

I’ve just bought a 055XPROB for when I am shooting close to the car and Astro stuff.

For travel and anything involving a decent amount of walking, I have just bought a Manfrotto Befree GT Carbon and it’s pretty substantial and feels strong for a travel tripod. Not cheap but better than any other travel tripod I was looking at.

I have a number of tripods including the Manfrotto 055 proB as my main one, and a much lighter manfrotto 190xproL which is a longer version of the 190 range. it is not much lower than the 055. but a lot lighter. it suits all my fuji cameras from the tiny X30 , the XE2 and the X T30.
I actually prefer the heavier aluminium tripods to carbon fibre, as weight = inertia which helps in the wind.
I have never sold a tripod but I have worn a few out over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: TG.
I have a trusted 10 year old Redsnapper which has never let me down.

I've just picked up a 3LT Travis which is smaller and lighter but slightly taller. For £110 I thought it was worth a try...... I wasn't paying £3-400 for a carbon one just to save a few hundred grams.

I have the 755CX3 which is very similar and with the half ball levelling column it might suit you better if you do landscapes. I'm not sure it will be any less expensive but it's a great tripod and the do pop up on the 2nd hand market.

It's this one

I have a trusted 10 year old Redsnapper which has never let me down.

I've just picked up a 3LT Travis which is smaller and lighter but slightly taller. For £110 I thought it was worth a try...... I wasn't paying £3-400 for a carbon one just to save a few hundred grams.

That looks quite good Lee and very similar to the K&F one I purchased from Amazon 2 years ago, although it's very very light I got some nice long exposure shots with it, I didn't like the ball head though, I may just try a geared head on it and give it a trial run before I go away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015CGRREI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the 755CX3 which is very similar and with the half ball levelling column it might suit you better if you do landscapes. I'm not sure it will be any less expensive but it's a great tripod and the do pop up on the 2nd hand market.

It's this one

Looks great Jim but way above my budget.

Have you looked at Benro?

I have exactly the combination you are looking at, the CF 055CXPRO3 and 410 Junior geared head - never had any problems with it.
The big Gitzo tripods are even better, but you pay a lot for that extra bit of rigidity they might bring (a bit like all camera gear, it's trying to find the point at which you've spent enough to get something good, and avoiding paying 3x for that extra 5%).

Reactions: TG.
Yes I have, I wanted to stay away from the twist legs but it's looking more likely I will have to get that type as theirs more choices for a travel tripod with the twist legs.
Have you looked at Benro?

I have exactly the combination you are looking at, the CF 055CXPRO3

I think Im going to move away from that particular tripod now as looking at the weight of it, it's not much lighter than the manfrotto I already have, certainly not worth me paying the extra money for the weight saving.

I know you don't favour the twist lock legs and neither do I, but I can vouch for the Benro. I sold this one HERE last year and due to to the thickness of the legs the twist lock system seems to work fine.
I would go find a stockist near you and have a look see.

Yes I have, I wanted to stay away from the twist legs but it's looking more likely I will have to get that type as theirs more choices for a travel tripod with the twist legs.
Why don’t you want twist lock legs?

I used to have a manfrotto 055 tripod with lever locks. Levers were ok unless you pinched your finger between the lever and the leg. I now have a couple of gitzo tripods with twists locks. Twist locks are fine with me. You can open all the locks on one legs in one go. Tightening up each lock is quick to do. I’ve not yet left one loose when setting up the tripod.

I think Im going to move away from that particular tripod now as looking at the weight of it, it's not much lighter than the manfrotto I already have, certainly not worth me paying the extra money for the weight saving.

The current model is 2kg compared to 2.5kg for the aluminum version - so a reasonable saving, but looking at the price new it is a lot more (I was able to get a nearly new one second had a few years back, for less than the new aluminum price now, whihc made it an easy choice.)

Back