Recommendations for ear protection at British Grand Prix

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to see the British Grand Prix in July and would like some advice please.

I suffer from tinitis and dont want to aggrevate the condition by prolonged exposure to the noise without ear protection.

I intend to be ultra safe by getting some of those squishy in ear plugs, but will also need external protection. Can you recommend a suitable pair of ear defenders for motorsport?

Thanks in advance for your help (y)

I have tinnitus too, along with a hole in my ear drum, so I get all sorts of squeaking, vibrating and whistling in my ears. I ride a motorbike so I had a pair of moulded plugs especially made for me. After getting through tons of normal plugs that made my ears sore, plus the foam ones just breed infection (you do not want an ear infection, trust me on that one) I got so fed up and paid £80 for rubbery made to measure ones. I can honestly say they're the best thing since sliced bread!
If you google moulded plugs I'm sure you'll find someone near you who does them, or come to a BMF show (Peterborough in may) as there is a stall there making them at a reduced cost.
Good luck! Protect those ears :)

To be honest the decent foam ones should be just fine, otherwise I tend to find the ear defenders get a little uncomfortable after a while. I buy them in boxes of 200 or 500 pairs for riding on my motorbike, then change them every couple of days. Laser Lites are my prefered ones.

If you need a couple of packs give me a shout and I'll put some in the post, or just pop into your local bike shop.

Another alternative may be to get a set of noise cancelling headphones on top of the earplugs.

Last edited:
To be honest the decent foam ones should be just fine, otherwise I tend to find the ear defenders get a little uncomfortable after a while. I buy them in boxes of 200 or 500 pairs for riding on my motorbike, then change them every couple of days. Laser Lites are my prefered ones.

If you need a couple of packs give me a shout and I'll put some in the post, or just pop into your local bike shop.

Another alternative may be to get a set of noise cancelling headphones on top of the earplugs.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Thanks for your very kind offer Byker. I'll PM you my address (y)

Dammit, I sell earplugs, and laserlites are in my stocklist.. Youve already been offered freebies so cant beat that :LOL:

The custom ones are superb, I have some for shooting, it is a weird feeling having them made but well worth it.

Also worth it for long sessions at motorsport venues are the Peltor FM Radio ear defenders, ideal for circuits like Le Mans where the track is so long keeping track of positions is difficult so you can listen to Radio Le Mans and still protect your hearing.

if its just for the day then foam are fine - just change them every few hrs.

if your going to be doing this regular the moulded ones are worth a consider.

if byker has none left lemme know i got a tonne load - all brand new *L* i used to do grime cleaning and we had to wear em to keep the dirtyness out.

TCR4x4 said:
Dammit, I sell earplugs, and laserlites are in my stocklist.. Youve already been offered freebies so cant beat that :LOL:

Noted for my next batch :)

Surefires are pretty good - you get the option of using them with or without full plugs, without you can still hear people talking to you.

Back