Recommendations for locations and tours for birding near Alicante, Spain?

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Heading away off for a weeks holiday and wanted to explore locally. Will be staying at 'Condado de alhama' and wondered if anybody had any knowledge of good locations and times to go Birding, and if there are any excursions / guided outings worth trying?

Looking on the map, your not too far from where I grew up, I moved to England in 1976, have a look at this website, there's plenty of Bird life there, should be easy enough to get to from where you're staying.

Thanks very much Geoff!! After reading the write up on Costa Blanca Bird Club about their previous field trip to the Lagunes - it definitely seems like a great location to visit. Now just to figure out how to get there!! I'm hoping my friend who is putting me up will oblige with a lift there - although I may need to find my way back!! I couldn't find a way of of contacting the Costa Blanca Bird Club - it would be great to befriend a local member for a tour guide :)

Thanks very much Geoff!! After reading the write up on Costa Blanca Bird Club about their previous field trip to the Lagunes - it definitely seems like a great location to visit. Now just to figure out how to get there!! I'm hoping my friend who is putting me up will oblige with a lift there - although I may need to find my way back!! I couldn't find a way of of contacting the Costa Blanca Bird Club - it would be great to befriend a local member for a tour guide :)
I've found the contact form now :)

"Where to Watch Birds in Southern & Western Spain" by Garcia and Paterson may be helpful - available from your favourite river-themed online supplier.

You can catch a bus from Torrevieja to Cartagina, and then catch another one from Cartagina to Condado de alhama,
That sounds very adventurous - but I may give it a go!! Perhaps an early start and returning by bus in the afternoon. Certainly something different to the usual routine I've got so accustomed to at home. I fear the pandemic has stolen my ability to jump in and do something completely new!! I should jump into the unknown and do it. I just need to try and do research as to where to catch buses etc.

Had a great holiday so far and have just spent the time locally at the golf course which my apartment overlooks. Here are some of the birds I've spotted over the last couple of days. Any help with id much appreciated. I managed to identify the great reed warbler, and what I think is a kestrel.

AF8A2750 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A2919 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A2922 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A3023 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A3012 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A3092 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A3035 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A3107 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Had a great holiday so far and have just spent the time locally at the golf course which my apartment overlooks. Here are some of the birds I've spotted over the last couple of days. Any help with id much appreciated. I managed to identify the great reed warbler, and what I think is a kestrel.

Top one is a Sardinian Warbler, bottom one is a Stone Curlew

I'd love to go back to Torrevieja one day, looking on YouTube, it saddens me to see it so built up, but get out of the town, the birdlife is superb, when I was living there, it was a small fishing village.

I had friends who worked at the salt flats, I used to go there regularly, it was the only time I've seen Flamingos in the wild.

My camera I had at the time, and I still have it, was a Yashica MC35, not the best camera for wildlife photography.

I'd love to go back to Torrevieja one day, looking on YouTube, it saddens me to see it so built up, but get out of the town, the birdlife is superb, when I was living there, it was a small fishing village.

I had friends who worked at the salt flats, I used to go there regularly, it was the only time I've seen Flamingos in the wild.

My camera I had at the time, and I still have it, was a Yashica MC35, not the best camera for wildlife photography.
I think I will make a point of staying there next time for a couple of nights so I can get the chance of the Flamingos. I don't think I am going to get to see them this trip. Do you know what time of the year is best to see them?

I think I will make a point of staying there next time for a couple of nights so I can get the chance of the Flamingos. I don't think I am going to get to see them this trip. Do you know what time of the year is best to see them?
Pretty much anytime of the year, although they breed in the summer months, I believe 2020 was a good year for them, mainly due to the pandemic, with no one to disturb them, just head to the pink lake, which in itself is a superb sight, especially at sunset.

Sardinian Warbler
Cattle Egret
Iberian Grey Shrike
White-headed Duck
Great Reed Warbler
Glossy Ibis
Stone-curlew
Black-winged Stilt
Black-necked Grebe (Eared Grebe)
(Black-crowned) Night Heron
Black-winged Stilt again
Lesser Kestrel
Woodchat Shrike

Sardinian Warbler
Cattle Egret
Iberian Grey Shrike
White-headed Duck
Great Reed Warbler
Glossy Ibis
Stone-curlew
Black-winged Stilt
Black-necked Grebe (Eared Grebe)
(Black-crowned) Night Heron
Black-winged Stilt again
Lesser Kestrel
Woodchat Shrike
Thanks for identifying them all in one go!! I've been reading up on each of them - always great to see new birds and learn about them.

Have you seen these birds in your travels?

I've seen them all somewhere or other and most in the UK.

Once you can get them down to family, it becomes easier as the choices reduce; knowing you took them in southern Spain also helps as I've birded there and know what to expect.

I recommend the Collins Bird Guide (also available as an app) for European bird ID. The Merlin app form Cornell University (which is free) can be used more or less worldwide using the appropriate bird packs, and will identify from photos with pretty good accuracy.

I've seen them all somewhere or other and most in the UK.

Once you can get them down to family, it becomes easier as the choices reduce; knowing you took them in southern Spain also helps as I've birded there and know what to expect.

I recommend the Collins Bird Guide (also available as an app) for European bird ID. The Merlin app form Cornell University (which is free) can be used more or less worldwide using the appropriate bird packs, and will identify from photos with pretty good accuracy.
Thanks for that information Phil. Will check these out!! I hadn't realise there was an app that identified birds from their photograph, I have been using BirdNET for bird song which has been quite effective. Thanks again

Merlin is a brilliant piece of work, widely used in the Americas and deserves more widespread appreciation. It includes vocalisations, distribution maps and photos of the birds in their different plumages, as well as ID from description and photograph.

Back