recommended 35mm b/w film

Edit My Images
No
i know nuts about film. any film to recommend for portraits & street photography?

thanks

Fuji neopan acros 100 makes nice blacks.
I like the 1600 too, for dingy jobs...expect grain with that :)

seems like I go against the trend! Tmax 400 for me (wish 800iso existed!) -actually is there any 800iso B&W film out there? can't seem to find any!

Lots of good recommendations above! Also have a go at the Rollei films available... heck, just try everything, film is fun!! :)

oh cheers! I heard the same for t-max 3200 (dunno if its true!) i just wish there was a film that avoided the push-pull hassle :LOL:

well i have both 400 iso and 3200 iso, so I shall try both at 800!

oh cheers! I heard the same for t-max 3200 (dunno if its true!) i just wish there was a film that avoided the push-pull hassle :LOL:

well i have both 400 iso and 3200 iso, so I shall try both at 800!

Do you process yourself? If so, I suggest using HP5+ at EI 800 and add 25% to the normal development time for ISO 400.

Steve.

I've got to say Delta 3200 is a brilliant film when exposed and developed at 3200! I just loved the grain and it's a fantastic film for low-light shots, turning streetlights into fuzzy balls of white!! Wonderful stuff! :D

Do you process yourself? If so, I suggest using HP5+ at EI 800 and add 25% to the normal development time for ISO 400.

Steve.

i do, but at college. i also get as much film as i want from 'em (because i pay a fee to cover all that!) -downside being that I don't have too much of a say in whats ordered (its all t-max at the moment) but I will get a request in for HP5 when they do the next bulk order!

thanks for the advice!

why don't they make 800 film actually? its one of life's mysteries:LOL:

For general landscape work, I use Ilford Delta 100, or FP4+, even on occasion Pan F. This is only 50 ASA so it's very slow, but practically invisible grain.

No love for kodak tri-x?

Adox CHS 100, developed in rodinal 1+50 for 12mins, 4 inversions per minute.

If there's not enough light then tri-x, it'll do any speed from 200 up to several thousand if you dev it right

What are people's experience with Fomapan 100? just got a bulk load of it for 3 squid.

What are people's experience with Fomapan 100? just got a bulk load of it for 3 squid.

I have used it once (years ago!)

I was really surprised at its quality given the cheapness, it didn't provide tonnes and tonnes of contrast, which I liked because it helped get that good range of grays. like what ansel adams tried to get!

I would love to get hold of some fomapan R as well B&W slide film (the only one still being made!) - but nobody is doing the developing:LOL: not even that place in margate that still does agfa scala developing.....

cheers for the other advice too about 3200 at 800iso! I am trying out both tmax 400 and 3200 and will compare results (hopefully post them on here to help others out too:D!

too many recommendations, i guess i should just try everything!

Yep that's right. Work out what you like or don't like.

Personally I would recommend starting with Ilford HP5+ and FP4+ and then working on from there. Personally I am a big fan of Ilford Delta 400.

too many recommendations, i guess i should just try everything!

Yup!

Go to 7day or Mailshots (or similar) and get a couple of rolls of whatever takes your fancy. You say you like the graininess of film, so maybe avoid Ilford's XP2. I used to use Tri-X for fast work, pushing to 1600 or above but that gave golfball grain! IIRC, I used Tri-X in preference to HP5 because it was cheaper. For slower stuff, I used FP4. Different chemistry can also have an effect on graininess - IIRC (and I may not since it's almost 30 years ago!) I used to use Universal Developer to get the grainier effect and Microfen (?) or ID11 (again,?) for smoother grain.

Of course, to increase the apparent grain, you can always shoot with a view to cropping but for that to work, you need to do the printing yourself.

My personal favorite is the HP5+ 400, but Kodak T-Max 400 is also very nice.

Back