Recommended Heavy Duty Background Stand

Do you know the weight? Approximate will do. You haven't provided any details at all, other than the brand.

My background stand will hold backgrounds up to 10' wide and 14' long of muslin fabric and can be adjusted to be almost 8' tall with no problem supporting these backdrops at all. It was purchased from Julius Studios through Amazon. for about $60 US. If you could provide a bit more information about your need I might be able to better help you.

Charley

Last edited:
I have one of these in the studio and also use it in location. I’ve had heavy vinyl on it and no problems.
You’re welcome to pop over and have a look at it if you want?

That looks very much like mine, but an airline round trip flight to Charlotte, North Carolina and an hour round trip by car would be required to see what I have. Go look at Si's. It will save you a lot of time and money. It is very close to what I have.

Charley

12.5 kg on two stands (one at each end) is less than 15 lbs for each support when the weight is spread out between the support stands of a backdrop support like mine. That's pushing it, but I think it can handle it. I've got some 5 lb weights and will try hanging three off each of my poles.

I just tried this, and they will support the weight, but the clamps that lock the telescoping sections at height must be very tight or they will slip under the 15 lbs of load. Although knob tightened, they are just plastic. My test indicates that they will hold the weight of your backdrop, but if set up and taken down often, I feel that these clamps will be the first parts to fail. If I was going to use these stands to support that kind of weight and it always needed to be at the same height, I would drill holes through the telescoping poles to insert pins just above the clamps, thereby locking the height with the pins sitting on the clamp and preventing the poles from telescope collapsing under the weight. If done correctly, the pins would be easily removeable, so the telescoping poles could be collapsed when needed.

Autopoles are very good and a very strong method, if your studio can handle them. Quite expensive though.

Charley

Last edited:
If you want bomb-proof, you may be best making something out of scaffolding, probably using tube clamps. Cheap too.

the standard on big advertising shoots is a scaffolding pole, two double windup stands, and two big ben clamps. That lot does weigh 60kg and cost best part of a grand, mind. But bombproof.

Back